Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
one of the lost boys
6,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help, learned ones!

RD04 '91German spec
coming home late the other night I switched to main beam, when I returned the push button switch to dipped beam... nothing .
Main beam still works, fuse is OK as is the relay as far as I know (it clicks when switching to high beam)
Bulbs are OK as is the switch, I had it apart and checked the cables with a voltmeter.

What am I missing, could it be the relay?

·
Premium Member
6,922 Posts
Help, learned ones!

RD04 '91German spec
coming home late the other night I switched to main beam, when I returned the push button switch to dipped beam... nothing .
Main beam still works, fuse is OK as is the relay as far as I know (it clicks when switching to high beam)
Bulbs are OK as is the switch, I had it apart and checked the cables with a voltmeter.

What am I missing, could it be the relay?
The Main Beam is (or should be according to the Haynes manual) on both headlights, yes? And this is powered straight from the relay. The Dipped Beam does not use a relay - this is assuming a German market bike.

From the handle bar switch (Mian/Dipped) the White wire runs to the Dipped Beam filament. Maybe this wire is broken.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
755 Posts
I had been having probs with a intermittent front brake light switch - lit the brake light sometimes, not other times...

I checked the continuity from switch to light, all good! I think that the sharp points on my meter's probes were making the connection though...

My buddy called in when I was scratching my head in the garage, and pulled the cluster block from under the cowling apart, scrubbed the spade contacts with fine emery paper (there was some green shitty tarnish on the connectors) and a squirt of two of Halfords contact cleaner, and problem solved, been fine for a couple of months now so worth checking the basic, hidden stuff as well :thumbup:

HTH

·
Premium Member
6,922 Posts
When I check for resistance back to earth I get a reading, which should mean no break.
What are you checking with? Might seem like a daft question, but it isn't. If you are checking with a modern multimeter, you may well get a reading but it might not be telling the whole story. The resistance of the dipped beam filament is very low. At room temperature* it will be about 0.5 Ohms or thereabouts - so any extra resistance caused by dirty contacts, as TopBuzz99 mentions, may well not show up. But try and put a few Amps down the wire and things may well be different.

* I say "room temperature" as the resistance of the filament increases with rising temperature - and that's why it glows so brightly (and also why the burn out). A 55 W filament at the bikes running voltage of, say, 14.5 volts gives a current of about 3.8 Amps - and a consequent resistance of the filament of around 3.8 Ohms (which is higher than the 0.5 Ohms measured at room temperature).

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
195 Posts
I had a similar problem on a RD07a.

It finally showed that the push buttons contacts were no longer clean enough.
As above a bit of cleaning with fine sand paper and a touch of WD40 did the trick.

This has been some two years back and I had no problems since.

Cheers and good luck finding the root cause
Markus

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
I had the same problem and it was dust in the switch. I went for main beam on an off road track in the dark and both main and dip went off

Cleaned the switch out with a bit of wet and dry and lashings of contact spray and not had any problems since

·
one of the lost boys
6,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got round to stripping the switch again, the push button (Main beam) switch had lost contact.
After stripping and searching for the spring I had a dejevu of looking for the spring 2 years ago.
"Funny how you always remember at the end"
If it goes again I'll be upgrading the switch assembly

any recommendations

1 - 8 of 8 Posts