Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Twin lovers, so my 2002 RD07A starting having problems starting and would take a couple of triea with the choke on to get it to run. but once its on it would not idle for than a minute.

I changed all the plugs and it worked like a charm for a couple of days. And jow its back to the same problem. it wont idle and has no power.... while riding feels like it wants to go off again. I'm puzzled and dont know what to do.

Any suggestions will be helpful.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Is there any fuel in the tank? is the fuel pump working?
Just starting with the obvious ;-)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya plenty of fuel noy sure if its an electrical problem such as a weak spark or a fuel issue such as the carbs flooding.... need help

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Is there any fuel in the tank? is the fuel pump working?
Just starting with the obvious ;-)
feel if the pump vibrates or chunky screw driver to your ear. The pumps normally give you a bit of notice before they pack up, if you have over half a tank of fuel, you can gravity feed, & by-pass the pump. (temp fix)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@foz1969 I have the mikumi vacuum pumo so its not on its way out. @een705 I've tried and check the plugs seem to be sparking but they are quite wet... here is a pic of the ones I've taken out.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Having trouble but anyway ya the plugs are black, sooty and relatively wet. So if it is indeed running rich what are my solutions. The bike starts and idles fine but I dont seem to have the mid range torque I was once used to having.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@piguglyshandydrinker took a while to write all that. Any way I also thought it was the plungers but my choke cable operates as usual.... if it was stuck I assume it would not return back in after pulling it..... or how can I check if its stuck? any simple tests?

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
+1 for stuck plungers.

They will still return. It only needs a nats hair to give you trouble with those. Mine are blanked off and the bike runs sweet.

·
Registered
959 Posts
+1 on choke........You can take the caliper screw to keep the spring and plungers in place and not use choke were you are you shouldn't need choke if you search on here if you are not sure what I mean

·
Registered
50 Posts
Intrested in what solved this problem! Im experiencing the same thing with my bike. Runs rough, no power in the lower register, smokes and smells, black plugs!

/Johan

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Eliminate the choke plungers by stripping out and cleaning as that's the major cause.
They are very brittle plastic so be careful, if you do break them you can get replacements from Rugged Roads

·
Registered
50 Posts
Already have had them out and they dont seem to stick. I have a rd04 wich I believe have a better choke? Or was it vise versa? :)

But its easy enough to try! Interested in what fixed the op problem.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Wrenched a bit now but havent found the problem..! Choke works good. Tried blocking it also. Found the headers to be leaking a bit. I changed the headergaskets a while ago and they semmed to have settled and making the nuts loose. That's were the popping came from.

But the bike runs really rich! Black smoke and extremely low idle. Dies with no throttle. I checked the float level, tought a float was sticking and letting in to much fuel making it to run rich. But they were exactly the same on both sides. Might remove the carb and check the idle jet, maby that became loose or something!

Edit:
Have the carbs down. Nothing strange with them!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts