Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Won't start. Truns over but no spark. It's as if the kill switch were on but it's not.

Baffled. Any help?

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
Sidestand switch problem? Does the neutral light work? Have you tried with the clutch pulled in? If you've been tinkering with its underbelly, make sure the sidestand switch connector hasn't been disconnected accidentally.

Other than that, does it have petrol? Is it the right way up?

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is it the right way up?
Is there a right way up?:D

Sod's law this.

The Zebra failed its MOT a week or so ago cos of bearings (shock, Swingarm etc). Fitted in a hours ysterday and booked for MOT today. Also changed the front brake pads this morning as they were on an advisory. Booked in for new rear tyre just before MOT.

Then it won't start. Check fuses etc.

Phone BobA and Stormforce8. Have Haynes manuals and original workshop manual out.

Check sidestand switch, Reqire connections that look OK but not perfect, swap CDI unit from other bike, nada.

Took the kill switch apart and sprayed it with ACF50 and reassembled it.

Gave up hope and called AA. They said 40 minutes and took an hour and a half. The guy says "what's up then?" I say no spark. It turns over but no spark, look.

Click and broom broom she starts first touch.:mad:

He reckons its the kill switch - they get a bit of crap in them and that's it. It hasn't been started for a week and maybe it got a bit of sea water from the Piel Island trip or something. Leaving it to soak for an hour and a half was what did it.

So he stands there talking about his Africa tours he used to run and how the Africa Twin is still the best bike ever for that sort of thing and how he was held hostage for four months during the Congo war (with a load of law students on their gap year doing a motorbike ride through Africa) while I put the tank, seat and panels back on.

So now have to try to get an MOT tomorrow.

I remember a car mechanic saying when I was young that they hated WD40 because silly old women would open the bonnet of their cars and spray the engine with WD40 and it would nearly always cure everything.

So next time, I'm getting a can of spray out and putting the kettle on. A couple of chocolate biscuits and I'd have made my MOT on time.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
Is there a right way up?:D
...and right here we have got straight to the root of the problem. It's an education issue and not, as everybody suspected, a capability issue ;)

(says the bloke who managed to twist his knee merely cleaning his bike!)

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
I had three months of trying to find out why my headlight would not always work. I stripped the bike down checked every wire and got it working, started the bike and it stopped working.
Sprayed the switches with WD40 and it now works properly.

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just to point out too that it started and ran - as soon as the AA man arrived - with no petrol tank attached, just on the fuel in the hoses.

Oh yeah and there was funny moment when Stormfoce8 was describing which colour wires I needed to trace for the fuel pump and I kept saying there were none before I remembered that I had a Mikuni Vacuum pump fitted so there were no electrical wires.

Still, I could have spent four hours at my computer working.:thumb:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts