Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I haven't been done but was considering my ride to work today. 18 miles from Garstang to the edge of Blackpool and the speed limits go
20 - 30 - 50 - 30 - 50 - 30 - 50 - 60 -30 -60 - 40 - 50 - 40 - 60 - 50 - 70 - 40 - 60 - 30.

That's 18 speed limits in 18 miles (but includes 5 miles of the M55) and they are inconsistent too. The two 40 limits are villages but the other villages I pass through are 30. The 60s are on country lanes but all the 50 limits are A roads. The 20 is my road but it's wider with less traffic and fewer cars parked kerbside than any of the 30 limits.

It's no bloody wonder motorists are paranoid about speeding fines with constant change and inconsistently applied limits. The only good thing is there are only a couple of cameras and known regular places for the mobile vans.

Sent from my iPhone with a smile :)

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And I was just thinking about what the same journey was a few years ago....
30 - 60 - 30 - 60 - 70 - 60 - 40 - 60 - 30.

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
It's going to get much simpler in Edinburgh soon as the council have agreed to change all (and I quote) "residential streets, main shopping streets, city centre streets, and streets with high levels of pedestrian and/or cyclist 
activity." to a blanket 20mph limit. In my book that pretty much means all roads as I can't think of many except the city bypass and the Western Approach Road that don't meet one or more criteria on the list.

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There's been a roll out of 20mph across Lancashire for about the last year. All residential streets and some not so residential like ours all 20 mph.

Sometimes the criteria for applying 20 seems to be how they can get away with the fewest signs - by putting 20 on my road they don't need to sign 7 side roads that lead off it.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
They are even imposing 20mph limits on private roads in Lancashire, apparently if the public can cross it they can limit it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts