Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Ride the Sumo!
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi noticed this the other day.

All the other gears are fine, selection to all gears is ok but 4th whines a bit, changes in pitch as the revs go up.

Any ideas?

BTW - the surging appears lessened with lots of lube so suspecxt this will go when chain/cogs replaced.

·
XRV750 RD04
1,549 Posts
I get the same thing on mine in third gear and only third. It's not very noisy, just subtly different from the sound in the other gears with a bit of a whirring/whining noise you can hear under the revs. Not had any problems with clutch slipping, jumping out of gear or anything, and an oil change didn't help so I've just tended to put it to the back of my mind (not sure if that's wise but it's done a few thousand miles like that now without any problems so far).

My guess was that it was something to do with the clutch plates, but as there's no clutch slip and no problems changing gears or slipping out of gear, i'm not sure. Or perhaps that third gear is a little worn.

Would be interesting to hear what people say here or if you figure out exactly what it is as it sounds very much like my bike albeit a different gear (though I'm not sure if mine goes up in pitch).

·
Ride the Sumo!
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I get the same thing on mine in third gear and only third. It's not very noisy, just subtly different from the sound in the other gears with a bit of a whirring/whining noise you can hear under the revs. Not had any problems with clutch slipping, jumping out of gear or anything, and an oil change didn't help so I've just tended to put it to the back of my mind (not sure if that's wise but it's done a few thousand miles like that now without any problems so far).

My guess was that it was something to do with the clutch plates, but as there's no clutch slip and no problems changing gears or slipping out of gear, i'm not sure. Or perhaps that third gear is a little worn.

Would be interesting to hear what people say here or if you figure out exactly what it is as it sounds very much like my bike albeit a different gear (though I'm not sure if mine goes up in pitch).

Thats right - only when under load, same here, no slipping on the clutch, everything else is fine that you mentioned.

Do the shafts that the gears sit on have bearings?

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
If it's only in the one gear, it's probably worn teeth on that gear pair.

I had an XBR500 years ago that did it in 5th. The gears had worn and it looked like they had wear lines across the faces of the teeth. All the rest were fine.

It's something worth ignoring unless you have an engine rebuild planned.

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
It could be Philw whining as he hasn't got one.:D

·
XRV750 RD04
1,549 Posts
Do the shafts that the gears sit on have bearings?
:shock:

It's something worth ignoring unless you have an engine rebuild planned.
Phew! That's what I was thinking I'd do. Though I wasn't ever really sure if that was wise or if I was risking the gearbox locking up at any moment.

The noise doesn't appear to be getting any worse so I've just kept eye (or ear) on it and if it starts to get worse I'll think about sorting it out then (or when something else goes bang or wears out first which seems more likely).

Almost had a heart attack when Futter mentioned bearings (anyone mentioning bearings inside the engine brings me out in a sweat :D - and that explanation hadn't occurred to me)

·
Ride the Sumo!
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:shock:

Almost had a heart attack when Futter mentioned bearings

Sorry mate, but your wife has paid me good money etc!!!!!:thumbup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts