Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else have a noisy water pump?

Over the last couple of months mine has developed a tappet like noise, but only from cold. It doesn't always kick in right away and can take from 2 to 10 seconds to start and is gone within a few minutes of starting the engine.

I'm fairly certain it is the pump and have done the listening with a screwdriver thing to check. The noise is definitely loudest when resting the screwdriver on the waterpump housing.

Is it a sign of impending disaster or should I forget about it?

It's an '02 TA650 21000 miles.

·
adventurer
94 Posts
My XRV water pump started to make the same noise. Thought it will give up working. Coolant in reservoir looked also bad, there were some lumps on it. Think it was the OE coolant as I bought second hand bike ('98 ) with only 15000 km on it five years ago.

Anyway I drained the coolant, washed the cooling system with radiator cleaner several times and added new coolant.
Haynes says every 24,000 miles (36,000 km) or two years (whichever comes sooner).
Soon the noise was gone.

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
I would suspect the age of the coolant and possible air lock preventing the proper circulation.

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
My XRV water pump started to make the same noise. Thought it will give up working. Coolant in reservoir looked also bad, there were some lumps on it. Think it was the OE coolant as I bought second hand bike ('98 ) with only 15000 km on it five years ago.

Anyway I drained the coolant, washed the cooling system with radiator cleaner several times and added new coolant.
Haynes says every 24,000 miles (36,000 km) or two years (whichever comes sooner).
Soon the noise was gone.
Good reminder, I doubt the big service last year will have done this... must check. Thanks

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I hope it is the coolant, the cheapest option by far.

I've gotta say I hadn't even considered that it could be the coolant causing the problem. It does make sense though, especially if there could be lumps in it! Maybe as it warms it become less viscous, pumps easier and the noise disappears....

A job for the weekend I think. It's got service history but not with a Honda dealer and you can never know if shortcuts have been taken. Any muppet can stamp a book!

Thanks! :thumbright:

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, yesterday I drained, flushed and refilled the cooling system, and.....

It's still the same :(:(

Oh well, at least it only cost me a tenner for coolant and the flushing agent. I think I'm going to have to see if it starts getting any worse, and if it does whip the water pump off for inspection.

·
adventurer
94 Posts
Well, yesterday I drained, flushed and refilled the cooling system, and.....

It's still the same :(:(

Oh well, at least it only cost me a tenner for coolant and the flushing agent. I think I'm going to have to see if it starts getting any worse, and if it does whip the water pump off for inspection.
I did the same.
The noise didn't go right away. But after a while it didn't go worse as well but better and better. Anyway now it's gone. Don't know what happened but it suits to me. Maybe it is better to check it closer if the noise wont go nicer after 1-2 gas tank filling or is going to worse.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You're just saying that to cheer me up aren't you! ;)

I hope you are right as a new water pump seems excessively costly. Does anyone know if one from another Honda V would fit, maybe the NTV?

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
When I changed my coolant it made a slight noise for a few miles, it then cleared up as I topped up the coolant as the air escaped.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts