Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a non insulated terminal connector kit (from VRP - which are similar to the connectors used as OE on bikes & stuff)) & can't figure out how to make a good, quick connection when crimping the terminals to the wire.

I have a cheapo wire cutting/stripping/ins & non ins crimp tool, had no joy with that so sourced a fancy ratcheting crimping tool for non insulated connectors from ebay.
I have just had a go & it just mushes up the crimp tangs rather than folding them neatly :confused:

So far I've resorted to gently bending & shaping the tangs with various pliers, while trying to hold the stripped wire onto the connector.

It's all starting to get a bit tedious.

Am I missing the bleeding obvious, are there any tips from those with a bit more experience before I go & buy a jumbo box of scotch locks.......

Phil

·
Stone Crazy
5,317 Posts
PUS
i have been through all that and am doing the same as you. Pliers, but must say they look betterthan those ruddy ugly red and bue things, whenmy mate the auto leccy for murvi motorcaravans comes around next i will grill him about this cos he does a good job on making new looms for the old Yam rd,s
Merv

·
Tenacious Member
1,435 Posts
Mushing the tangs makes it sound like it's the wrong fancy ratcheting thing for the conectors you have. Or it could be the connectors and wire size you have are not compatible?

Having said that some of the fancy ratcheting things are sensitive to the position of the crimp in the jaws - rotation and lateral position both need to be right.

Lastly some of the fancy ratcheting things are just useless. We have some at work - connectors and tooling from the same company and they still don't work! :confused:

Might be able to offer more help if you can post some pictures?

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here's the link for the connector kit; VWP - multiconnectors

Scroll down & it's the mini connector kit.

The crimping tool was bought from ebay but looks similar to the PR4 but specifically for non-insulated mini connectors; VWP - crimping tools for non insulated terminals

It's good (in a sad kinda way) to see that I'm not the only one struggling with these wretched things :rolleyes:

Cheers all, Phil

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
I have a non insulated terminal connector kit (from VRP - which are similar to the connectors used as OE on bikes & stuff)) & can't figure out how to make a good, quick connection when crimping the terminals to the wire.

I have a cheapo wire cutting/stripping/ins & non ins crimp tool, had no joy with that so sourced a fancy ratcheting crimping tool for non insulated connectors from ebay.
I have just had a go & it just mushes up the crimp tangs rather than folding them neatly :confused:

So far I've resorted to gently bending & shaping the tangs with various pliers, while trying to hold the stripped wire onto the connector.

It's all starting to get a bit tedious.

Am I missing the bleeding obvious, are there any tips from those with a bit more experience before I go & buy a jumbo box of scotch locks.......

Phil
When i have to use those **** connectors i use the ratchet pliers for crimping, never had a problem with the pair i got. I don't normally buy draper tools for the poor quality but the ratchet crimping pliers were the right price so i had them. Normally for joining cables i solder and use heat shrink far better connections and weather proof

·
Tenacious Member
1,435 Posts
Hi make sure you have connector the right way round as crimp tool has special grove in them

I couldn't find a decent pic to explain with - so thanks to David. :thumbright:

Phil. The crimp wants to go in with the "solid" part of the crimp held in the single curved profile, the "open" parts of the tangs facing the double curved profile of the tool. Your crimps should go in the section marked "1-2.5" if it is marked as the picture.

Also there are 2 distinct sizes of profile in each section - the larger sized part wants to form the tangs around the wire insulation and the smaller around the stripped wire end.

Hope this is of some help. If not, crimp 'em on with some pliers and then solder the buggers!

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
what i do is;
1/ twist and tin the end of the wire
2/ tin the inside of the terminal
3/ solder the wire into the bottom of the terminal
4/ with needlenose pliers (leatherman is perfect) fold the flaps down one over the other and mash them down on the solder
5/ reheat the joint to make the solder flow throught the flaps

thats if i need a strange sized terminal that has to go in an oem connector or something. solder is best but personally ive never had a problem with insulated crimps except for the looks. you can neaten them considerably and make a much better job by removing the coloured insulation and putting 2" of heatshrink on instead, especially if you use the upmarket stuff that has the inside lined with hotmelt glue.

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
I have problems with this type of crimper so I use pliers and sometimes solder them as well.

·
Stone Crazy
5,317 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts