Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, first time poster!

I've acquired a 1992 Dominator from a mate. I haven't ridden a bike since I passed my test in 2003. The bike has had some efforts made to customise it; fairings removed, tank painted, headlamp replacement, Speedo removed...

I'm hoping to give it the street tracker treatment if I can so looking for some advice from the knowledgeable folks here.

My questions are:

Best fuel tank to use to get the tracker look that is (relatively) easy to fit.
Where to get a replacement saddle that offers the tracker look.
Best Speedo for the Dommie that has a few functions on it like neutral light etc.
Best headlamp replacement. The one fitted is pretty loose.

I'd also like to get the trail arm resprayed black. Is that a big job to get it off? I'm a fairly handy bicycle mechanic so not afraid of tools but I suspect I'll need a stand and all sorts to do the job. Would it be pricey for a bike mechanic to do it do you think?

Sorry, I've loads of questions but I'll leave it there for now. Really excited to get the old girl back on the road and keen to get on the spanners myself but thinking it's probably best to go at it slowly and not have a lot of bits spread out on the decking for the wife to glare at :)

Thanks in advance.

J

·
Registered
204 Posts
Hey Jim.

Loads of tracker conversions use the cg125 tank or whatever takes your fancy. Any change of tank will need a bit of work though. I think mine is off a Yamaha xs but I’m not 100% sure.
I used a digital speedo (£20 eBay special) and ditched the speedo drive cable.
Easy enough to get the swing arm off. I use 2 car axle stands under the frame and wheel, brake and shock linkage off. Be careful as the linkage and swing arm all use needle bearings that can fall out.

Mines is never going to win any beauty contest but I never intended it to be good looking. It’s just a fun second bike to throw around. The seat is a original nx hacked up, the original foam reshaped by hand and seat vinyl stapled on.
A diy bracket welded to the frame to mount the tank and seat, plus a hoop welded on to the rear frame after a little bit was hacked off.

Go for it.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Hi Jim
I used a CG125 Brazil tank on my bike, most opt for the earlier style CG tank, Chinese copies of which are available new on ebay , both styles need a bit of adjusting to fit,
I went old skool with my bike with a twin shock conversion

1 - 4 of 4 Posts