Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
one of the lost boys
6,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Meself and MelJordon are planning on a run up to Norkapp in August
Mel is attending the HUMM first then riding from Spain back to Germany overnighting then continuing with me up through Sweden to the Cape returning down through Norway.

Its should a quick non sightseeing ride through Sweden and a gentle plod back through the Norwegian Fjords taking in the Atlantic Bridges, the Trolls Ladder - Trollstigen and anything else that gets recommended

There are no concrete plans, we plan to make use of "all mans rights" and camp where we like,
Mel should be back from the HUMM by Saturday if that’s the case we will be off on the Sunday-
Anyone wanting to tag on can overnight at my place, then leave to collect Mel and go on to Fehmarn to get the ferry to Denmark, then see how far we get. 4-5 Days hopefully to Nordkapp 6-8 Days back, plus a couple of days in reserve

Day0 = RV my place Sassenberg Germany
Day 1 =

+2,5 hours North collect Mel
+2,5 to Fehmarn get ferry
+2,5 to Copenhagen DK

·
Fine, upstanding member
2,296 Posts
Don't expect much from Nordkapp: it's ugly and there's nowt there save a fairly useless visitors' centre which costs. Moreover, it is not the furthest point North in Europe. There's a car-park on the left a few km short of Nordkapp from which you can walk to the Northernmost point and back in under three hours. Far better sense of achievement.

It might be worth making the time to take the E6 right over towards Kirkenes then turning right onto the Sevettijarventie (893(971 in Finland)) and going into Finland at Naatamo back to the E75 Southwards.

Kirkenes is much more interesting than Nordkapp. The second-most bombed settlement in WW2, almost as far East as Cairo and because it shares time with the rest of Norway, is a time-zone earlier than the country to its West (only about three places in the World like that). The forests to the South are weird and dangerous (bears, wolves, wolverines) but with good, solid tracks your BMW could ride with ease, the presence of Russia across the river spooky, BUT... mosquitoes like you would not believe. :thumb:

Oh, and NW Norway is dull: Yorkshire Grey but bigger. The scenery is far less than the Southern fjords would lead you to expect. Go up through Sweden to Nordkapp, West to Kirkenes, back through Finland crossing your path in Sweden to Trondheim then Southwards incl the Atlantic Road to the stunning fjords.

·
where next?
508 Posts
I was there August 2008. Just be aware that Autumn has started that far north in August. Twas very cold, rained a lot, and there was so much fog over the cape that there was no view at all.

It costs 75 nk to get onto Nordcap island via the tunnel, over 200 nk to get through the gate to the welcome centre, 135 nk for 2 teas and 2 petrol station quality muffins, then another 75 nk to get the tunnel back to the mainland! £50 odd quid not well spent. I don't think it's worth it just to say you've been.

Norway is a staggeringly beautiful country though with the best roads of anywhere I've been. If I went again, I'd spend my time in Fjordland and the Lofoten Islands.

Bon Voyages!

Dylan

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
... mosquitoes like you would not believe. :thumb:
can vouch for the mozzies.. camped in the trees near the car park in the Arctic Circle hotel and was putting up the tent with a fleece tucked into my gloves and watch a huge moz land on my arm.. though ha that will sort you... buggger bit me through the fleece!!! well if your normal 'prey' is reindeer then what do you expect :D

ohh and it rains :cool:
good job its made of granite, would have been washed into the sea millions of years ago

loved it though only had 5 days so got as far a Fauske and back from Bergan.. take every thing you need as it as dear as... fuel food every thing

long way down for me to germany.. as I an nearly halfway there :D:hitler:

r

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Well i am looking forward to this ride. I ride a bike and carry a sleeping bag so am pritty immune to the prices that fools are willing to pay for hotels and so-on.As for fuel my twin will give me a thousand miles for £150.
And as for food, laughing cow cheese, red onions and bread rolls has squared me away on a few occasions.So i think i will have a laugh and enjoy the ride......mel

·
one of the lost boys
6,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I supose its like going to australia and visiting Ayres Rock, if you've done it its just a rock if you havn't its still a dream

Thanks for the tips, I've bought a mozi net:thumbup:

any more tips will always be appreciated

·
Registered
335 Posts
Well, you'll just have to pop in for coffee and biscuits then - won't you ?:thumbup:

·
Happy Bunny!
3,097 Posts
Have a good trip fellas.:thumbup:.

Love to go ...but....someone mentioned mozzies...eeeekkkkk!!!!.:D:D.

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
I supose its like going to australia and visiting Ayres Rock, if you've done it its just a rock if you havn't its still a dream

Thanks for the tips, I've bought a mozi net:thumbup:
any more tips will always be appreciated

use ear plugs up your nose.. Mel and red onioins :D

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Well i am looking forward to this ride. I ride a bike and carry a sleeping bag so am pritty immune to the prices that fools are willing to pay for hotels and so-on.As for fuel my twin will give me a thousand miles for £150.
And as for food, laughing cow cheese, red onions and bread rolls has squared me away on a few occasions.So i think i will have a laugh and enjoy the ride......mel

yup travel light.. that must be some sight. an AT loaded down with strings of red onions.. like some old school french onion seller :D

4 weeks out of the under crackers...a weekly turn round back to front then inside out and repeat... :happy3:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Cape Agulhas is just a rock.
but the small town behind it ain't bad, cheap place to stay, cheap beer and a resurant under the lighthouse where the lights dip a little, then brighten up as the microwave goes ping!

The way I see it; Norkapp is the opposite end, so definitely wanna get there some day

Only worry I've got is that the furthest I've done on the transalp is 120 miles, its 15years old and I haven't been riding it 6 months yet
but I spose thats why I paid all that money to include european recovery on my bike insurance.

Do you get the 24 hours of daylight in august?

·
Fine, upstanding member
2,296 Posts
use ear plugs up your nose.. Mel and red onioins :D
No diggedy, no doubt. Someone has calculated that in the Pavlik Valley, South of Kirkenes, if you stood naked in the woods when the mozzies are at their densest, they would theoretically be able to drink the entire blood of an adult man in four hours... :confused:

·
one of the lost boys
6,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No diggedy, no doubt. Someone has calculated that in the Pavlik Valley, South of Kirkenes, if you stood naked in the woods when the mozzies are at their densest, they would theoretically be able to drink the entire blood of an adult man in four hours... :confused:

Fek

Flying Piranha:confused::confused:

·
where next?
508 Posts
Another couple of things to be aware of (I'm really not trying to put you off at all. I loved the country and would go back there in an instant.)

I went through a back tyre (TKC - not the best touring tyre, I know) in the 4 and a bit thousand miles from Dorset to Nordcapp and back. Apparently the roads are tough there to withstand the seasonal temperature variations (is this true? - maybe an urban legend). Anyway, I met a guy on the ferry who had to replace his rear tyre on his fireblade while he was there and it cost him the equivalent of over 300 english quids!!! So have good tyres before you get there. My battery failed when I was there and I had to buy a new one which was about 110 quid so not massively more than here. Doing it on the cheap(ish) is possible but some expenses are unavoidable.

And I'm sure that you are aware of the horror stories regarding speeding tickets. Fines are very high indeed. Fixed speed cams point towards the front of the vehicle but mobile units are around and about. The locals didn't seem to care much though and we found we were over-taken by cars towing caravans on occasion :oops:. We didn't care though. Just stayed within the limits and enjoyed the fabulous views.

·
Registered
335 Posts
You may want to exercise a tad more caution this year. This can probably be said of europe in general, but the condition of some local roads here in Norway have been seriously affected due to the amount of ice and snow this year. My street has lost large surface areas of top layer tarmac, leaving just loose rubble. Be warned. :(

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
:thumbup:
can vouch for the the tyre eating roads :D

had a sports tyre on the bandit two up with luggage.. did my morning checks after a long ride up to the Arctic circle thingie Voss.. summer road over the top to Trondhiem then to the Article thingie for Midnight,, it was shur.. so spent some time at the prisoners of war memorial ( quite thanks to these guys fro building the road ...) tyre was down to the cords!! great roads and I was well over at times and it was cut like an old threepence piece !!

Had taken out Carol Nash full international recovery so they sorted the picked up and fitted a new tyre and covered the lot.. ( got trucked to Fauske and it took 2 days to get the tyre shipped up so had a rest in fauske and bought beer at the pub ( just the two.. not cos I was being good.. but cos its as dear as fuk!!!! )

Nice man fitted a BT20 and it was Friday 1500 ferry from Bergan Sat 1500 :confused:

Carol Nash insurance said to make my way to Christansand for the Tuesday ferry ( insurance covered all this ) set off and said I would see how far down I could get and then make a decision right to Bergan or straight on and play around for a few days ( shame I HAD to be back at work as I would have spent longer doon South:D )

anyway set off it was pishing down and cold and I was well rested so just kept going.. coffee fuel and musac and chats to my son on the back,,,

mission and a seminal moment with my son.. rode to Burgan and had 30mins to spare befor the ferry.... 23 + hrs in the saddle ( pre TLD )...

ahhhh Norway... enjoy

1 - 19 of 19 Posts