Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Hill Rider
3,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a short trip today – 304 miles for me, door to door. RickSkye may have done more though :thumbup:.
Met up on the side of the A9 above Inverness, then headed off into the hills.
This is a view along Loch Naver. Not ridden this little road before today – won’t be doing it again in a hurry – far to much grit & debris, even for me :confused: :( :rolleyes:.

Who’s quickest on the draw? :D

Headed for Strathy – Rick was under instruction to get a picture of the beach there – I'm sure he’ll explain :rolleyes:.
Not to be put off by a sheer drop down to the beach, Lowflyer headed up from the car park above the beach to gain a better view. Seeing as he didn’t fall off on the wet grass, I took the Vara up there as well!

There is one hell of a drop beyond those bikes, believe me. Moody Vara surveying the terrain . .

Before we got to Starthy and our elavated view point, we’d stopped at our declared destination – Bettyhill. Whilst consuming some refreshments and lightening the load, 3 large groups of invaders rolled past, nearly all of them on either small or large versions of the Teutonic Wunder Machine :hitler: :confused: :rolleyes:!
We past one group of said riders just before we ascended our grassy knoll – they were sheltering from the rain next to a café – Bless their little adventure riding socks :D :D :D! Lowflyer should have a picture taken from said grassy knoll of some of them staring up at us in awe :rolleyes: !

We eventually headed south towards Helmsdale – the heavens opened up on us with a vengeance on this 30 odd mile leg of the ride, so no photo’s taken. But the downpour stopped just before we got to Helmsdale, thankfully.
The bikes left abandoned as Rick & Lowflyer go in search of fish & chips

From here to Inverness the A9 got a pounding, with Rick cutting off towards Dingwall and home whilst me & Lowflyer headed further south.

[FONT=&quot]Great ride, even taking into account the weather. Thanks for the company guys – must do a drier version of that ride again soon (excluding the Loch Naver road please :thumbup:)

Steve T

:cool:
[/FONT]

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
well the weather here was fine ..
plenty of Gardening and tree butchery and tidying up going on in the Aberdeenshire sunshine.. even managed to slope off for a few hours and bag a bacon & egg roll and a frothy coffee at the fire station at Tomintooly on a shake down run ot the Rd03+..

·
Hill Rider
3,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
.. even managed to slope off for a few hours and bag a bacon & egg roll and a frothy coffee at the fire station at Tomintooly on a shake down run ot the Rd03+..
Nice set of wheels there mister!

You obviously fit on it then :rolleyes: :thumbup:

Looking forward to seeing it in the metal

·
Should know better
2,980 Posts

Gotta be a calendar pic. Pretty please? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Nice set of wheels there mister!

You obviously fit on it then :rolleyes: :thumbup:

Looking forward to seeing it in the metal
I can fit on any bike.. issue is when its stopped :hitler:

forks dropped through the yokes and min pre-load.. still tippy toe.. man the RD03 is a tall one.. doing the old one butt cheek trick too.. having spent time with an RD01 I am used to top heavy bikes.. this is no different to the RD01 in that manner, but the RD01 is a lot narrower..
defo a cross between the Alp and the RD01

will shorten the shock next and then the seat if needed.. but still riding it :joker:

new reg/rec in and carbs off and cleaned.. carb cleaner through it too..

rear suspention quite hard, so will adjust :D

this was my first real run on it.. orange fuel light flickered on so brimmed it with 23lt :confused: will check them out.. really enjoying sorting it and it rides like an Alp on steriods... pulls like a train.. not need to ride Alp style ( ringing every ounce out of it ), but getting there on the way back.. it will flick about if your aggressive with counter steer :D..

plastics need some work but nothing that cant be fixed.. its seen life as a high mileage work horse but rides really well.. these are bullet proof bikes... some serious grinning today.. not as spirited as the Alp.. but thats down to me getting the feel of a 'new' bike

sorry stealing your ride report thread :) mate..

got a few busy weekends coming up but will catch up with you, John et al for a 300-400 mile shakedown run :)

see you had the Vara out

no rain here :D

ray

·
Deer Dodger
3,199 Posts
Great day out, but a few @rse twiching moments on the loose marbles :D
That road seemed to go on and on, every bend covered in chips and dust :confused:
Never mind, call it " character building " :thumbup:

I was quicker :D:D by at least 3 nano seconds :thumbup:

The views from the single track marble infested road made it all worthwhile :thumbleft:

At our destination -- the magnificent metropolis that is Bettyhill :D

The view overlooking Rick's beach

And the poor sad GS riders :D
Who MUST have seen us at the top of the hill :rolleyes:
If not Steve T's flailing about in his flourescent jacket was in vain :mrgreen::mrgreen:

And the beach itself -- as Steve says, we were a fair bit up the hill, good craic getting there :thumbup:

Thanks for the company guys.
Really enjoyed it :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
This is a view along Loch Naver. Not ridden this little road before today – won’t be doing it again in a hurry – far to much grit & debris, even for me :confused: :( :rolleyes:.
I've done that road a couple of times (last time was with Frad, Pigugly & V and Wigan Chris at the National). There was a little gravel but nothing much.

I have noticed loads of back roads down here are littered with gravel aswell. Must be something to do with the snow.

Great run and it looked loads of fun

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Got to Tesco at Dingwall ok, 199.9 miles on clock, got 18.1 litres into tank.

Coming out of Dingwall in a 40 limit, Nearly got collected on a left hander, by 2 cafe racers, the only part of their bikes not across the white line was their tyres. I counter steered hard for the first one, then had to do it almost immediately for the second one. :angryfire:

Got home safely, arse still wet. aprox 60 miles.
Had a quick bath, then asked the wife if she wanted to go for a spin in the car,"Yes" she said. "I quite fancy going to Dingwall to get the weeks shop at Tesco".
The things you do for love? Got home at 23:00.

Good run, wet in places but mostly dry. :toothy2:Thanks to Steve for yet more instruction/demonstration on IAM stuff. It will eventually sink in.
Sorry to lowflier for going slow. Too much information.

Sadly I have to report that the fish and chips at Helmsdale, although perfectly serviceable, were not the wonder of culinary expertise that I remember in years past, shame.

Oh the beach photos, my missus stayed at Strathy point when she was a wain, her father was in the lighthouse service. She played on the beach and she wanted some photos.

That lump that Lowflier and Steve T went up was quite awesome.
I took one look, wet grass, stopped in the car park.:thumbup:

In the saddle for 9 hours, great.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts