Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
it's about an hour......
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a day spare (not sure which yet, need to confirm...apparently Im expected at my nephews birthday party and not sure which day it is yet), anyone interested a day blasting through the North Wales trails, either 23rd or 24th August.

Thinking Llangollen to Betwy-s-coed. Been months since I did them.

Here's the last couple of ride reports from that way....

http://www.xrv.org.uk/forums/ride-reports-pictures/74361-possible-national-trails-betws-y-coed.html

http://www.xrv.org.uk/forums/ride-reports-pictures/50021-day-trails.html

Want to limit the number to 6, so 5 plus me. Any bike welcome, I'll be on my KTM 950. Terrain will be a mix, rocks, mud, grass, moorland, forest, some steep terrain as well. Not really for beginners Im affraid.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Got room for a couple of little ones?

I'll check with Roly what his shifts are that weekend. If we're allowed to play with the big boys...

·
it's about an hour......
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Got room for a couple of little ones?

I'll check with Roly what his shifts are that weekend. If we're allowed to play with the big boys...
Off course, who else will pull me out of the mud! Still need to confirm the day once I find out when this nephews birthday is. Was thikning you could drop your trailer off in Betws-y-coed and ride the 30miles or so to the start...or do the route vice versa, start at Bews-y-coed and trail ride to Llangollen leaving you the road ride back?

And thanks for calling me a big boy...but people will start to talk?

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Not when they see the photos.

Yes, dropping the trailer in Betws sounds like the best bet, gives a shorter run home. I'll let you know when I've spoken to Roly.

Tim.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi beddowsm,

'anyone interested a day blasting through the North Wales trails'

Sounds interesting, I can do either days Sat 23rd or Sun 24th July (although Sat/23rd would be better if possible).

Could you pencil me in please on my TT600RE.

Cheers

·
it's about an hour......
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi beddowsm,

'anyone interested a day blasting through the North Wales trails'

Sounds interesting, I can do either days Sat 23rd or Sun 24th July (although Sat/23rd would be better if possible).

Could you pencil me in please on my TT600RE.

Cheers
Will do, you been on the trails in North Wales before? They are good fun, see previous rideout reports for more info.

·
Registered
58 Posts
'Will do, you been on the trails in North Wales before? They are good fun'
A couple of times before but I didn't recognise the places from your previous ride reports ... castle n stuff looked good.

Looking forward to it ... by the way any idea on Sat or Sun yet?

Cheers

·
it's about an hour......
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
(although Sat/23rd would be better if possible).
Sorry Glenn, but Ive just been informed my nephews party is on the Saturday so its going to have to be Sunday 24th July. Start in Betws-y-coed (or Capel Cruig just West as thats where the trails start). Then ride East ending at Llangollen....

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi,

Thanks for update.

If I can find a good campsite near the end (Llangollen) then I might still be able to do it on a Sunday ... let me have a think about logistics and I'll get back to you ...

cheers

·
it's about an hour......
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi,

Thanks for update.

If I can find a good campsite near the end (Llangollen) then I might still be able to do it on a Sunday ... let me have a think about logistics and I'll get back to you ...

cheers
No probs, off to the Stella on Wednesday so will be back on this thread when I return in a week or so. Theres a few campsites around Llangollen. If you need a place to dump your gear whilst we trail ride my in laws live in Ruabon, 5 miles from Llangollen. Thats where I will be on the Saturday night so no probs leaving kit for the day. Theres a campsite local in Ruabon as well....not sure whats its called but a quick search on Yell.co.uk will reveal all.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Hi Mike,

Roly was away at the Goodwood Festival last weekend, so I haven't spoken to him yet about this trip. Don't know if he's seen the post yet, but will try to catch him today and let you know whether he can make it.

Have a good trip to the Stella. Tim.

·
it's about an hour......
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Mike,

Roly was away at the Goodwood Festival last weekend, so I haven't spoken to him yet about this trip. Don't know if he's seen the post yet, but will try to catch him today and let you know whether he can make it.

Have a good trip to the Stella. Tim.
Heard from Roly yesterday. He cant make it that weekend. Always next time!!!

You up for it???

·
Registered
58 Posts
'No probs, off to the Stella on Wednesday so will be back on this thread when I return in a week or so.'
Oh the Stella - I went there in 2009 to see what it was all about - a long trip but great fun, will probably go back there in the future some time, enjoy!

'Theres a few campsites around Llangollen. If you need a place to dump your gear whilst we trail ride my in laws live in Ruabon, 5 miles from Llangollen. Thats where I will be on the Saturday night so no probs leaving kit for the day. Theres a campsite local in Ruabon as well....not sure whats its called but a quick search on Yell.co.uk will reveal all. '
Thanks for the offer of '... leaving kit for the day..' that could save alot of aggro carrying kit, so I'll do a bit of surfing to find a decent campsite nearby and hopefully get in touch with you when you get back from the Stella.

Have fun at the Stella.

Cheers

·
it's about an hour......
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hello Glen, the campsite in Ruabon is called "James" - couldnt find it under camping so looked up caravans. Not sure if they allow tents. got to be worth a phone call. The site is off a main road so noise could be an issue unless you have plugs in.

[h=1]James' Caravan Park[/h]RUABON
Wrexham
LL14 6DW

Tel: 01978 820148
Fax: 01978 820148
Send an email

AA Merit: 72%
Price guide: £

Write a review of this campsite

« Back to results

Show on a map
Print this page
Send to a friend

[h=2]Description[/h]
A well-landscaped park on a former farm, with modern heated toilet facilities. Old farm buildings house a collection of restored original farm machinery, and the village shop, four pubs, takeaway and launderette are a 10-minute walk away.

Open all year. Last arrival 21.00. Last departure 11.00. Booking advisable BH.
[h=3]Site capacity[/h]Caravan pitches available.
Motorvan pitches available.
Total touring pitches: 40

[h=3]Services[/h]Electric hook-up.
Battery charging.
Calor Gas.
Camping Gaz.

[h=3]Site facilities[/h]Showers. Electric shaver. Hairdryer. Ice pack facility. Public telephone. Disabled facilities. Shop on site or within 200 yds. Other facilities include chest freezer available.
[h=5]Credit cards not accepted[/h][h=2]Directions[/h]
Approach on A483 South, at rdbt with A539, turn right (signed Llangollen) over dual carriageway bridge, site 500yds on left

·
it's about an hour......
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi Mike,

Yes, I should be able to make it. Looks like the XL will get a few miles on it that weekend.

Tim.
Nice one Tim. Will be doing a similar route to last time, starting at Capel Cruig and taking the trail up and over the hill. Then a quick loop round the castle and back over the Sarn Helen (yep, this bit is the Northern end of the Sarn Helen Roman Road that runs through Wales) to Betws-y-coed. Then we go East over a few trails to the Wayfarer. Depending on time, there are loads of other trails before you have the road ride back to the trailer.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I am planning to come along with bike on trailer. I have a spare trailer space if anyone is interested... you will need some tie downs. Glenn?

·
it's about an hour......
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I am planning to come along with bike on trailer. I have a spare trailer space if anyone is interested... you will need some tie downs. Glenn?
Great Al, you can leave your car and trailer at my in-laws in Ruabon. I'll be leaving from there. Its about a 35 mile ride then along the A5 to where we will start the Betws-y-Coed trails. Will end in Llangollen which is about 5 miles from Ruabon. Will sort out timings a bit closer to the day.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi tendays,

'I am planning to come along with bike on trailer. I have a spare trailer space if anyone is interested... you will need some tie downs. Glenn? '
Thanks for the offer (I've got tiedowns) so I'll have a think about it ... though being in Milton Keynes not sure what time I'd have to get up Sunday morning to meet you in Birmingham to get to Ruabon for a reasonable start :sleepy3:

Probably see what the final arrangements regarding timings are and then decide ... if the weather is nice I'd like to make a w/end of it and take the tent and see a bit of Wales, but if weather is bad and the ride is still on then I might look at B&B closer to start area ie Betws-y-Coed ....

Cheers

·
it's about an hour......
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Probably see what the final arrangements regarding timings are and then decide ... if the weather is nice I'd like to make a w/end of it and take the tent and see a bit of Wales, but if weather is bad and the ride is still on then I might look at B&B closer to start area ie Betws-y-Coed ....

Cheers
Im flexible regarding timings. I do prefer to hit the road early but I understand everyone has to travel. If we said start the trails at 09:30 would that be too early. Means leaving Ruabon around 08:30 for a comfortable ride to Betws-y-coed / capel cruig? But this would mean an early start for Al (probably about 1.5hrs drive min to Ruabon) and even longer for Glen....you are probably right in camping out otherwise it would be a really early start! And the starts about an hour for Tim?

The ride would be all day...probably ending 17:00 ish....but theres always options to drop out a bit earlier for the ride home if need be. Ive never actually done the entire route from Llangollen to Betws-y-coed in a day yet so theres lots of terrain to cover so I'll check the maps and cherry pick the best bits.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts