Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Crumbs, Chief !
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we met at the services which no longer exist.

And we rode into the hills - some of which were shrouded in mist.

And we travelled on roads - some of which were covered in ice.

And it was a really good day out.

Highlights in chronological order :
- Seeing Austin on his way to work waving at me from the other side of the M6 on the way there. At least I think it was him. And I like to think it was waving.
- Successfully meeting up with Frad, Airwolf, PigUgly & Fairbrother at the J31 M6 services despite them (the services) not actually existing.
- Frad giving Hudders a road side "motivational speech" via telephone in a failed attempt to encourage him to join us, during which I learned some interesting new words.
- Len's mystery tour to Dunsop Bridge through lots of interesting road surfaces, greasy back roads with random ice patches to keep you focussed.
- Learning interesting signalling techniques from Len. Arm pointing to go left, indicator to go right.
- Len's obvious irritation at Frad's lengthy breakfast stop in Dunsop Bridge before we even really got going.
- My "excitement" as it dawned on me that we were definitely going offroading on the Salter Fell road (despite the fact that we had to cross a 20 ft patch of sheet ice just to get to the start of it which removed any remaining doubt that an africa twin with worn road-biased tyres was not really the optimal tool for this particular job)
- The fact salter fell road was not actually that bad except for about 3 or 4 sections of 20-30 ft of sheet ice where the only thing you could do was put out your feet as outriggers, clench your buttocks and 'trundle' in as straight a line as possible whilst chuckling at the insanity of it all.
- The kudos we got from some lads on smaller 'proper' offroad bikes.
- Laying down my bike - first on a patch of muddy snow when I forgot to concentrate as I was too busy feeling pleased with myself for traversing the 'difficult bit' without falling off - and then on one of the ice patches.
- The generous help of Phil & Len in lifting the bike and getting back up and running again.
- Sucessfully getting across all the other patches of ice despite it clearly being a ridiculous thing to try and do.
- Realising that I had laid down my bike twice without putting even a mark on it...
- The interesting 2nd half of the road which was more wet than icy but discovering some of the 'puddles' had sheets of ice underneath them as a nice surprise just as you were getting too cocky.
- Then - having all agreed we were knackered and hot after the Salter Fell road - a nice run out through the hills down to Lancaster and on to Glasson dock and another cafe stop.
- Another interesting hack through some back roads to Preston and then going our separate ways.

Another great XRV rideout. Hopefully someone has some photos they can add to this to make it more interesting. I was too busy falling off to take any...

·
it's about an hour......
2,198 Posts
Nice one lads. Glad you had a good day. Wish I could have made it rather than spending the day working.

And nice one Andy, finally christened your @. Now get rid of that other little toy you have, get some decent tyres on the @ and continue using it for what it was built for:thumbleft: Its amazing how many times it can be dropped without leaving any marks.

·
Premium Member
4,354 Posts
good ride report Andrew despite no pics and yes it was me giving you the bird from the southbound side of the M6; and of course I never gave your ride out a second thought while I sat here pondering the strangeness of IT Strategies (just like I am now;))

I must take my bike over salter fell soon too.:p

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
XT6 has said it all so here are some pics :thumbright:

good to see you all and thanks to Len for leading us round.... up..... and sometimes down :( :toothy10:

Great day and very satisfying to make it in one piece :thumbright:

Cheers and a very happy New Year :thumbup:

·
2,701 Posts
An excellent right up from XT6 and good pics from Frad. :thumb:

We had a most pleasant ride out ( once i had dragged Frad out of the cafe :rolleyes: ).

The Salter Fell road was a lot clearer than i expected, . . everyone cleared the hill fairly easily, so it was just the ice fields that added a little interest :D.
Pigugly made the best dismount of the day with a double sommersault into the heather but was quickly on his feet and back on the bike before i could produce the camera. :D :D

The last third of the track has been surfaced recently and is like a posh garden drive. :( I hope they dont spoil the rest of it. :rolleyes:

I then took the team to the seaside for coffee at Glasson Dock :cool:, then on through the back roads and over the toll bridge (where pigugly held everyone back till i paid the 10 pence each tolls :banghead: ) and down toward Preston where we said our farewells before hitting the motorway and heading our seperate ways.

Thanks to all for a great day out and the usual banter. :thumb:

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
Looks a good ride out there guys. How is the 640 Len for off roading you seem to be full on Orange thesedays:D

·
Crumbs, Chief !
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
till i paid the 10 pence each tolls :banghead: :thumb:
I forgot that bit in my write up. It was one of the most dramatic events of the day.

Picture the scene - a small rural toll bridge in the middle of nowhere - the only way across the mighty Wyre river standing between the XRV North West Posse and yet more pies and cafes.

Len slows too late as he realises he has inadvertently arrived first at the toll booth. 10p per motorbike says the sign. 5 bikes. Yikes thats 50p! Yet the skills of the posse are strong and however slowly len covers the last 20 yards to the toll booth, we can ride slower. Ha ha!!!

He gulps, takes a deep breath and pats his pockets theatrically. Tuts, shakes his head.

After 2 minutes - I crack first, reaching for my wallet ready to find 10p - or 50p for the whole crew if necessary. I start shuffling up the queue. Pigugly and Frad motion me back. "No", says Frad, "Len will pick this up". I can feel the mood sour.

I sense this might turn ugly - there is more going on here than a 10p toll, I think. Perhaps there are unsettled biker gang debts between these people - I suddenly became aware I do not know them so well - they seemed friendly enough in the cafe but I sense a tension in the air which was not there before. Time ticks on for what seems like an eternity.

The toll booth man starts to look a little more stressed. The tailback of agricultural vehicles waiting for the toll bridge is now stretching back for maybe 4 or 5 vehicles. Some of these people are his friends and best customers. These simple country folk have never seen a queue this long.

As suddenly as it began - the deadlock breaks. Len has clearly thought of a way out of this - he dramatically produces that previously "elusive" 50p with a flourish and waves it in the air like King Arthur with excalibur.

His 640 adventure rears up like a stallion about to charge. As he kicks into gear he spins around in the saddle - turns to the North West posse like a conquering hero and shouts "'Appy Christmas".

The words convey yuletide cheer, the tone of voice says "bah humbug you tight b*ggers"

He leaves the scene at speed with his dignity intact, having stolen the moral highground.

Frad and Pigugly visibly look crushed and ride on.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
:sign5::sign5::sign5: :thumbup:

·
Deer Dodger
3,199 Posts
Cracking photos and very witty write up :thumbright:

Nice one guys, thanks for sharing :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
A very amusing writeup, & some fab pics too.
I was considering joining this salubrious soiree, but it was on my daughters birthday, & it wouldn't have gone down well by not attending daughters birthday celebrations !
Yes I was quite envious of the North West Posse's whimsical day out in the wilds of the north west, I'm impressed to say the least, nice one chaps.

·
Should know better
2,980 Posts
Great write up XT6 :thumbup:. Well done chaps, a brave rideout :blob5:.

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Great writeup Andy & also thanks to Rob for the pics :thumbright:
The run over Salter fell was 'interesting' to say the least but great fun :p

Cheers all for another great xrv run out :thumbleft:

Phil

·
Happy Bunny!
3,097 Posts
That looked like a good day out.:thumbup:.

Shame i live so far away, Salter Fell looked great..:(:(:D:D.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts