Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Hill Rider
3,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Great North Run (no marathon running from this lot though)

From door to door, for me 313 miles. Through rain but mainly shine (thank you Met office, you actually got it right) rode the Team Honda, into the valleys of the northern glens. And what a ride it was.

3 set out from Elgin (me, The Mountie & AfricaJim) to meet with the other willing runners at a service station just off the A9 near Alness. Scottishbiker headed south from the wind swept reaches of . . . Wick, whilst Lowflyer flew in from Inverness (just a short haul flight for him). Ableac (a poster on the Transalp site) was to meet us at Lairg as we headed north into the barren lands that are Caithness & Sutherland.

All went well till I realised that Scottishbiker hadn’t fuelled at Alness after his 90+ miles from Wick. Fuel problem remedied at Lairg, where I spotted brake fluid leaking from one of his bikes front callipers. Sorted by a large pair of Triumph pliers supplied by AfricaJim. I did tell Scottishbiker not to “sort” his brake lines before the run, but would he listen!
It was at about this point that AfricaJim realised that Lowflyers AT was his old bike, identified by the cut-outs in the rear side fairings which he’d done to fit a luggage system. How spooky is that?

No sign of Ableac at Lairg, so onwards into the sunshine we rode, up glens and down hills, into the deepest reaches and hinterlands of the highlands, onto roads wide enough for Team Honda, but little else. Which is what we saw thankfully, little else. Except one lone German on a . . . yes, you guessed it, a GS, who looked slightly confused after we passed him doing his tourist bit, taking pictures of hills & heather (she gets everywhere that heather!) only for him to pass us 5 miles further on, with us doing the tourist photo thing. Scottishbiker tried the usual biker greeting as heir German rode past - a wave and a smile, but not a finger or a nod was forthcoming from Mr GS. I told Scottishbiker that he’s to be careful about waving to German GS riders, they might smile and loose concentration.

After a few *** breaks for those thus inclined, and a little off roading by Scottishbiker (I'll elt him tell that story), we made it onto roads wide enough to have white centre lines – civilisation at last (I felt like turning round at this point and doing the first bit in reverse, it was that good).

Half way between Durness & Ullapool, who should come barrelling round a bend in the opposite direction but Ableac with his good lady on the back of his TA. Turns out they had a bit of a session at someone’s birthday bash the previous evening and weren’t fit till after the sun was over the yard arm. They turned-about and joined us for the final leg into Ullapool. At last, a full team!

Ullapool - chips and sunshine. What a combination.

Ableac and his lady headed back north whilst the rest of us headed south into . . . rain. Only lasted about half the journey towards Inverness, then more dry and empty roads. Bliss.
Scottishbiker peeled off and headed back up the east coast to Wick, the rest of us journeyed home into traffic.

All in all a great day out, good crac and I cant wait to do something similar again soon.

Photo's here gentlemen please.

Anyone one up for run No 2 anytime soon?

Steve T

:cool:

·
Ninja Thread Hijacker
2,978 Posts
Great report from the Highlanders.

We must try and get the whole Scottish Clan together sometime.

Maybe around Perth ??? doon the way for you - up the way for us !!!

·
Haggis Hunter
115 Posts
She cannie take nae mare captain. Might have found ma wee problem both tyres wrecked back was shredded when i checked this morning :rolleyes:

·
Hill Rider
3,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Didn't look too bad from where I was sitting yesterday! :blob8:
Couldn't have been the pace I was setting, must have been those abrasive Highland roads. :mad:
Send a complaint to the council and ask them to pay for some new tyres :D :D :D

Just as well your about to change them then aint it.

TKC's it is then!

As demonstrated very poorly yesterday, TKC's corner just as well as the road biased tyres (at least on a TA they do).

·
Haggis Hunter
115 Posts
Yea the TKC was ordered not here yet tho :(:smilebox: back flatter thatn a flat thing

·
Hill Rider
3,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
back flatter thatn a flat thing
Slow puncture then? As I said, it looked fine from where I was sitting on the way to Contin, not appearing to be low in pressure or tread!

·
one-legged member
4,493 Posts
Well done guys, good report and great pics. :D

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
As promised, pics from the event!

It was a great day out, the weather was kind and a special thanks to Steve T for organising the whole gig!

Meeting up at Alness services.

Next stop at Lairg

Almost as far North as you get! East of Cape Wrath!

The line up at Ullapool

About as muddy as I would like!

Check out the scenery, as close to the back of beyond as you get!

The line up at Ullapool from a differnt view.

And here's the line up of usual suspects!
Low flyer, Steve T, The Mountie and Scottishbiker.

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

·
Hill Rider
3,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Top pic's. Thanks for popping them onto the report. I've just got the Mounties. If there are any that are "different" than those already posted, I'll fire them into the gallery.

Steve T

·
Deer Dodger
3,199 Posts
http://bebo.com/watch/4070216941
:bootyshake:

The voices made me do it and that bog looked so so nice.
Crikey, is that what I sound like ???
At least there weren't too many swears. As I recall it was about yours truly getting stuck in a burn a while ago for a considerable amount of time !!! and Steve T offering his advice " Check the depth of the water first you numpty !!!! "

Nice pics Jim
Great ride out guys

·
Haggis Hunter
115 Posts
Aye aye captain she be 3 feet atleast :blah5:

·
Hill Rider
3,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Mounties Pics
Another Lairg shot