Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
In search of 7th gear!
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I've started on one of my favourite activities, planning & dreaming of my next trip.

In this case, a 17-day trip from Netherlands to Norway this summer.

A few questions I'm hoping some of you can help with:

1. July or August?
2. I'll need new tyres before the trip anyway, should I put Scorpions or K60's on the KTM or will road biased tyres suffice (don't plan on doing motorways, mainly little roads).
3. Service stations, how are they spaced in Norway? Will I need an additional fuel tank (keeping in mind the KTM does about 260km to the tank)?

The plan is to take the ferry from Hirsthals (Denmark) to Kristiansand and go west/north along the coast until we hit Bergen and move inland from there.

We don't have enough time to do Nordkapp (not at a leisurely pace anyway) so any tips on sights to see, places to go, people to have a beer with?

Lastly, what's the policy on camping in Norway? Can you setup anywhere, or only designated campsites?

THNX!

JB

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Hi JB

Hope you are well

Farmboy (2007 & 2009) and Snaphappy (2010) both did recent trips so there should be some info in ride reports

Take care

Paul

·
Registered
251 Posts
JB

My only tip comes second-hand from a mate in the Royal Enfield Owners Club, who toured Scandinavia a few years back. He had a head-on disagreement with a reindeer somewhere in Norway, although he fared rather better: one broken arm and twisted forks, versus one dead reindeer! My mate had to wait a couple of hours for an ambulance, but the reindeer was 'rescued' within half an hour by a crew in a pick-up truck who apparently make a living from road kill.

It's obviously a common occurence...so watch out for reindeer!

Joe

·
one of the lost boys
6,127 Posts
Hi All,

I've started on one of my favourite activities, planning & dreaming of my next trip.

In this case, a 17-day trip from Netherlands to Norway this summer.

A few questions I'm hoping some of you can help with:

1. July or August?
Both warm (& wet) the midnight sun starts to set end of July but you have to in the far north to see it)

2. I'll need new tyres before the trip anyway, should I put Scorpions or K60's on the KTM or will road biased tyres suffice (don't plan on doing motorways, mainly little roads).
Motorway!!!!!! there is one small stretch the rest are good surfaced and well maintained main roads and graded hardcore roads, Tourance or equivalent
3. Service stations, how are they spaced in Norway? Will I need an additional fuel tank (keeping in mind the KTM does about 260km to the tank)?
Everywhere, use a satnav you'll never be too far from one you wont need extra cans on your KTM, most stations are unmanned so you'll need a visa with pin, my German euro card EC were not recognised

The plan is to take the ferry from Hirsthals (Denmark) to Kristiansand and go west/north along the coast until we hit Bergen and move inland from there.
Stay closer to the coast and the fjord lands, regardless of where you go you'll love it. keep an eye on your POI on the satnav Points of high tourist value are marked by roadsigns too,
keiko-sign.jpg 2952276130_cebf702747.jpg

We don't have enough time to do Nordkapp (not at a leisurely pace anyway) so any tips on sights to see, places to go, people to have a beer with?
Beer is very very expensive, does not stop them having a good pissup mind you, if you get chance and time go up to Lafoten area, stunning does not do it justice
to save money go to Supermarkets the big ones have Hot Deli counters and free coffee for customers

Lastly, what's the policy on camping in Norway? Can you setup anywhere, or only designated campsites?
"Everymans right" to camp where they want, the restriction are more than 100m from a residence, no off road driving. keep an eye out for Cabins (hytte) you'll need to dry off at some stage they are worth it start about 350NK I found one for 200NK (£20)

THNX!

JB
I have the Lonely Planet book give me your address and I'll send it off, more for backpackers but a little info
Sights to see, there is not enough time to start listing them, depends really in what your after. Viking museums, twisty roads, great views, WW2 history including a bit of the Tirpitz
I missed too much and would have to back another 20 times and still not see enough.
have a look at my signature link

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
I'm doing that same trip first week in June.
Also taking the ferry from Denmark to Norway, (the Swedish road to Norway is BORING)

Area around Lysebotn is breathtaking!

·
one of the lost boys
6,127 Posts
Kjell / Buggles
from Stavanger if you get the chance take the road out to Sauda - truly stunning
that should also take you through the deepest road tunnel, 3Km downhill - 3Km uphill both directions are steep

Ryfylkevegen/Rv13 to Rv520 - Google Maps

·
In search of 7th gear!
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Amazing pics Snap!

Where was this one taken?

Because I HAVE to ride this one!

JB

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
did it a 600 bandit 2 up :)
its cold :)
plenty of tunnels ( did the longest one )

but do the summer road from Burgen to Over ardle ( sorry for the spelling :-( )
past the Glacier ( really cold even in summer :)

take plenty of cash for petrol
loads of boil in the bag grub and your own beer :thumbup:

dont speed

camp where you like :)

search the site loads of info

oh take out overseas recovery insurance carol nash were supurb when I shreaded the rear tyre :bom:

if you have a week the western fijords two weeks Nord cap.. but I suggest up to Nordcap through one counrty down through another... :clown:

·
one of the lost boys
6,127 Posts
This looks good:

And the same road in reality:
Yes my pic was the "Trolls Ladder" Trollstigen when I got to the top I turned round and went back down just to ride back up, Kjell your map clip is from the Lyseboten route if you get on the ferry you get the Fjord tour showing the Kjeragbolt
rtw2004.1153504140.dscf0047.jpg
Then ride that route marked, just be careful one of the switchbacks is mid tunnel
:blob:
There really is too much to see but if time allows go up to the Gairanger Fjord, before it disappears*. Two roads in both are fantastic but the south route will lead you towards the Dalsnibber mountain you can pay a toll and ride to the top, or get there after the cashier has gone home and ride up for nothing

* by all accounts there is a part of the Gairanger fjord that will break away, the resulting Tsunami will wipe out the town of Gairanger

·
In search of 7th gear!
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

There really is too much to see but if time allows go up to the Gairanger Fjord, before it disappears*. Two roads in both are fantastic but the south route will lead you towards the Dalsnibber mountain you can pay a toll and ride to the top, or get there after the cashier has gone home and ride up for nothing

* by all accounts there is a part of the Gairanger fjord that will break away, the resulting Tsunami will wipe out the town of Gairanger
This is why we're taking two weeks and not doing Nordkapp, that way we can see a lot of the country, then decide if we want to come back and do the Nordkapp run next year!

I can't wait for July to come round, although I need to put the bike back together again first...

:D

JB

·
In search of 7th gear!
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
1 - 14 of 14 Posts