Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

Just like to introduce myself. Been stalking this forum for ages before joining earlier this year. So time to put my bike out there.

Bought my RD07early in 2006 with 6000 on the clock and rode her home from Belfast without getting my feet wet. Bit of a home coming as she started life from Thunder Road in Bridgend in 2002.

I've travelled to France a few times on her and riden some easy gravel farm tracks but nothing more adventurous. But its all change now.:toothy8:

Bought a 1200 GS (shame on me, I've become a tosser but without the suit) in April this year with the intension of selling (God forebid) the AT for the so-called perfect all-rounder :cyclops:.
A tempory loss of sanity I'm pleased to say. The love affair with the AT continues with renewed passion as I'm taking her to Morocco in April next year with 3 friends. After riding her off road two have bought AT's they were so impressed and the other a TA for this trip.

I've fitted Mitas (road legal nobblies) and she handles the dirty stuff with ease and is very stable on the black stuff without the feeling of the rubber blocks moving around. A recent trip around some green lanes near Glasbury were taken with ease then off to the route around Clearwen res. This is very stoney and quick for those of you who know it with a few small fords thrown in and great practice for my Morroco trip.

Owning both bikes as given great insight into the off-road abilities of these bikes and the AT is my preferred weapon of choice for Morocco. The GS will do the trip I know as there are enough photo's of GS's on their web site (most of them lying down having a rest).

A lot of it for me has to do with gearing and power delivery. Off-road, lower and less beats the hell out of higher and more IMHO. My GS is quite snatchy at low speed and you can't alter the gearing which is a pain on slow tight decents. So I'll take a 1 tooth less sprocket with me to change when we get there.

That I'm sure will p*ss off and surprise few GSers but it works best for me and I'm no stranger to off-road stuff but no off-road god either, I wish.

The GS is a great bike and I use it for climbing trips to North Wales and other longer trips around the country but it's not the best off-road and probably was never meant to be.

So the next few months will be spent preping the bike and searching for the usual spares and replacements to take with us.

This site is a great knowledge base and congrats to all that take the time to contribute and share.

P.S. pity Mr Honda doesn't have the same foresight and enthusiasm as the guy's here as we'd have a 'modern' world beating (Africa Twin ;aka, I am Legend):thumb:

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
Welcome to the forums,
I take it your avatar is of you and the bike?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The picture is my bike but I'm behind the camera. That's a mate of mine in the picture who's just bought an AT for the trip to Morocco.

I wanted to change the avitar to a close up of the bike but can't work out how to do it. Any ideas anyone? :confused:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts