Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1998 africa twin that appears not to be charging when the headlights are on i have taken some readings with a volt meter can anybody help with the problem.

Battery 12.84v
Running tickover 13.3v
3000rpm 14.4v
5000rpm 14.45v

Lights on tickover 12.45v
3000rpm 12.5v
5000rpm 12.47v

Thanks markb

·
Premium Member
6,922 Posts
Hi Mark, welcome to the forum.

Your measured voltages, with the lights on, are a bit on the low side. On my '04 Transalp, with the lights on and engine running at a fast idle, I measured 14.6 volts.

Has this problem just arisen or has it been going on for some time?

There are a huge number of questions that I could ask but I think we should start with the simple ones first. The voltage drop between lights on and off (extra load on the system) could just be down to corroded connectors introducing extra resistance into the circuit. My first step would be to check the condition and tightness of all connectors. This includes the battery terminals, earth connections, connections into and out of the regulator/rectifier and connections in the lighting circuit (both to the head lights themselves and the relays).

The main fuse connections, in the starter solenoid, seem to be particularly prone to corrosion for some reason.

What you are looking for is blackened connections and possibly melted plastic, that are a sure sign of a high resistance connection. This causes heating and hence the "melting" of the plastic. If the connections have been subject to a lot of moisture then they tend to look green due to the copper oxidising.

It's always best to check the simple things first before going mad and buying new batteries and regulator/rectifiers that may well not be needed. A burnt connection can be fairly easily cleaned up or even replaced if necessary.

Hope that this is of some use to you.

Tony

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
31 Posts
Must be the day for it ! My bike kicked the bucket today ! Stopped for fuel then it would not start ! Battery not charging ! Aaaaah ! Big bike to bump start ! Turns out that I'd Blowen the 30 amp fuse out the regulator ! I think heated grips are the culprit ! Have your batter checked it sounds like it might be at the end of it's life ! You need a special tester that draws a heavy load ! Most garages have them ! I hope this helps ! Cheers Angus

·
Señor Member
748 Posts
I've just had a similar problem to Angusgentleman (stopped for petrol then wouldn't start) I haven't checked the fuse and I don't even know where it is yet because I'm still finding my way around the bike after only having it for a few days.
Have you sorted your problem markb? if so what was it?

Cheers,

Allan

·
Registered
31 Posts
The fuse on my bike is on the off side towards the back under the side panel ! It was an in line fuse from the regulator !!!! My bike is an rd04 ! Buy a manual !!!!

·
Señor Member
748 Posts
The fuse on my bike is on the off side towards the back under the side panel ! It was an in line fuse from the regulator !!!! My bike is an rd04 ! Buy a manual !!!!
Whoa Angusgentleman, steady there, I've only had the bike for a few days and didn't get back home until about 10pm and the forum was my first point of call before digging for info the old fashioned way by looking in my manual!

To be honest Angusgentleman, I wouldn't have thought of checking the fuse in this instance because the battery was at times getting a charge and if it was a fuse then it would either work or not work and not a bit of both, I've taken the battery off and I've got it charging right now and I'll refit it when I get home after work tomorrow.

Thanks for your input,

Allan

1 - 7 of 7 Posts