Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
BLUE 1999 xrv750x
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
been using the @ daily for commuting in london without any probs at all -

yesterday i went for a long run (about 140 miles without stopping)
left the bike for around 3 hours or so, and hopped back on to come back to london - there was a bit of juice in the battery - but not enough to start her..

got back to London last night fine, and went to start her again this morning - same scenario - some juice in the battery, but not enough to start her./...

don’t think its the battery - any other ideas???:thumbup:

·
Registered
736 Posts
I had this last year and had to keep bumping it, and then it just died at the side of the road one day, recovery guy said it was the rectifyer but i put a new batt on and its been fine ever since. using it most days and all thourgh winter

·
SOTGATT
3,522 Posts
You never really waste your money on a battery Rupert, 'cos you'll need one sooner or later and it's a fast way to eliminate that as the cause.

Sounds like it's not holding the charge (if it's charging OK).

Maybe borrow one (no...I'm using it regularly at the mo'.:))

Did I see your bike parked near the field of a local Earl ?

·
BLUE 1999 xrv750x
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well come to think of it - my batt prob does need a change - so ill pick on on the way home tonight and see if thats the ticket...

Cabby - you might indeed be right my friend..:wink:

·
it's about an hour......
2,198 Posts
Just had a similar problem. Battery showing 12 volts but not enough to start the motor, voltage down to near zero when attempting to fire up.

Replaced battery and starts nows. Have been told to check the reg rec though incase this is / was causing a problem.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
been using the @ daily for commuting in london without any probs at all -

yesterday i went for a long run (about 140 miles without stopping)
left the bike for around 3 hours or so, and hopped back on to come back to london - there was a bit of juice in the battery - but not enough to start her..

got back to London last night fine, and went to start her again this morning - same scenario - some juice in the battery, but not enough to start her./...

don’t think its the battery - any other ideas???:thumbup:
Have you checked the voltage across the battery with a multimeter with engine running. Should'nt really be lower than 13.5 volts and no higher than 14.8 volts at various revs.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Had a similar problem recently which turned out to be a short in the ignition wires. Had to replace the igniton. Only £35 so not too bad, although having to remove the tank and airbox was a bit of a pain.

·
BLUE 1999 xrv750x
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
~~~~~UPDATE~~~~~~

Just to let you all know that i connected up the new battery - and it all seems to be bhaving itself now after a few days of starting etc.... thanks for all your comments and words of wisdom...

·
BLUE 1999 xrv750x
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
update..

ive left the @ for the last 7 days as i have been away - went to start her this moring and she was dead..... the new battery is only a couple of weeks old now.... something is not right... andnothing was left "on" - except for the starcom which has always been left plugged in (but ive left her for 3 weeks like that before without loosing any charge)

do you think itsthe alternator ???? - or any other ideas??

·
Tenacious Member
1,435 Posts
Sounds as though you have a short circuit from loom to ground somewhere. Seeing as most of the loom is only getting power once the ignition is on - try looking for wear to those parts of the loom that always have power on, ie from the battery to the main relays.

Or, if you have a multimeter that measures resistance (Ohms), remove positive battery connection (try not to disturb loom too much), measure resistance from positive lead (not battery terminal) to ground (frame or negative battery terminal. Meter should read high resistance/ no reading, if it is low / zero ohms, then try moving parts of the loom mentioned above away from frame until it reads high again. Good hunting!

Had a similarly infuriating problem with a car years back. Ran fine, battery charged whilst running, but flattened if left standing for a few hours. Problem was main lead from battery. When running it vibrated against the inner wing, had rubbed the paint off so inner wing rusted slightly, flakes of said rust had penetrated the insulation - so when standing battery lead was short circuit to wing (ground), when running contact was intermittent and couldn't flatten battery! Once we found the problem it was easily cured with electricians tape on lead and inner wing until a new lead was sourced.

·
BLUE 1999 xrv750x
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
See post #6. Do you have a multimeter?
will check it - i dont have a m/meter - but can borrow one.. good place to start though i agree..

thanks GSPD

1 - 12 of 12 Posts