Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
xrv750x Pilot
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has not happened to me , But if a driver who is over the Legal limit crashes into you WILL his insurance company PAY to get you up and running again.Or would the insurance company wash their hands of the driver as he was over the limit .Or do you just put a claim into the Motor Insurance Bureau . Anyone fw750x :?

·
Complete Member
3,904 Posts
Ask your/ his insurance company, he is automatically "at fault" but if he's happy drink driving, does he even have any insurance?

G

·
fw750x said:
Has not happened to me , But if a driver who is over the Legal limit crashes into you WILL his insurance company PAY to get you up and running again.Or would the insurance company wash their hands of the driver as he was over the limit .Or do you just put a claim into the Motor Insurance Bureau . Anyone fw750x :?
Most Insurance companies state that if you or the vehicle you drive is defective in any way it may invalidate your insurance. Problem is that they use very vague language which means that they have no set rule and it would be looked at by each individual claim.

Mind you anything that invalidates the insurance contract can effect the claim, even admitting to causing an accident can invalidate your insurance :shock:

As Dilbert says talk to the company, but unless you have a current claim then I doubt if you'll get a straight answer apart from the vary vague "it may invalidate your insurance" answer.

Kymmy :cool:

·
Sir FallofaLott
5,060 Posts
I think as a rule of thumb insurance companies cannot renagae on their third party liability - even if the insured has done something that might have invalidated their insurance. They may then persue the insured for their blood marrow :shock:

As Kimmy sez each case is likely to be treated on it's own merits.

·
whys the rum always gone?
17,680 Posts
it happend to me about 15yrs ago and they didnt pay out :evil: :twisted: :evil: :twisted: :evil: :twisted: :evil: :twisted: :evil:

dont know if the laws have changed since then..but i think ????? is there such a thing as an insurance ombudsman(correct spelling dunno) who pays you out and then takes the offender to the cleaners :D

drink drivers no [email protected] excuses :twisted:

·
xrv750x Pilot
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone for your replys, It is one of those things that i think about " what if " .My insurance will be up for renewal in the next few weeks , So i will ask what they think .fw750x

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
The insurane companies pay into a fund for claims against uninsured drivers. If the [email protected][email protected]'s insurance refuses, you should be able to get something out ot that fund. (A much better use of the fund than the usual car-thief's-mate-who-got-bruised claim.)

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Assuming the driver had insurance then if the accident were his fault his insurer would have to pay out. The insurance company cannot nullify the policy except in very specific circumstances and that is not due to drunkenness.
If the guy is not insured then you need to claim to the Motor Insurance Bureau. This is funded by a levy on motor insurers but is passed on in extra premium. Each of us with motor insurance is paying an average of £40 per policy into the MIB.
The Ombudsman takes up complaints from people who think an insurer has behaved unfairly. You need to go through the insurer's own complaints procedure first, but I'd recommend asking at the first stage for detials of the Ombudsman scheme as it focuses the mind. The media may also help apply pressure.
I'm a former editor of Insurance Times and twice the British Insurance Brokers' Association consumer journalist of the year (once tabloid, one broadsheet). :oops:

·
Complete Member
3,904 Posts
Well Whealie. I guess that just about sorts that one out 8)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts