Hi

2005 XL1000 . 42k miles. Recently serviced . Suddenly won't start

• battery good, engine turns over OK
  • no warning lights on for FI
  • everything else seems OK
  • when switching on a very loud click but no whirring of pump
Have tried , on/off with key and various other things

Came on suddenly

Fuel not getting through obviously . Maybe relay for fuel pump ?

Like many I'm on lockdown right now , so I have some time to do it myself !

Any thoughts would be appreciated - be safe verybody

Geoff 52 (living in Western France Hoping Manx TT still on ! )

·
Registered
696 Posts
"very loud click"

That;s the starter relay so some electrickery getting through, but not enough to turn the starter. Double check battery is charged up and connections are clean, tight and free of corrosion esp on the starter terminal under the rubber hood. If you have a multimeter check the battery voltage when trying to start it. If old replace battery anyway.

·
Registered
7,676 Posts
The fuel pump should prime for a few seconds when you turn the key, I'd check the source of the very loud click though.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The fuel pump should prime for a few seconds when you turn the key, I'd check the source of the very loud click though.

Thanks both for suggestions . I think I've tracked down the problem after reading a few old threads . It's the Kill switch. I noticed that rapidly switching it on and off whilst the ignition was on got the fuel pump whirring and the bike started . So removed the switch, cleaned the contacts and I think that's it . Anyway it's started every time since so far . Even a replacement switch is 58 euros so not too bad.

Safe riding if you are able to !

1 - 4 of 4 Posts