Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 5500 miles in the last 6 weeks, the machine won't start (2000 xrv).
There is fuel, the filter allows flow and the pump pumps.
The engine turns, the plugs spark.
The ignition coils show correct primary and secondary windings resistance.
The throttle position sensor shows appropriate resistances.

So what's next?

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
Change the plugs.
They may spark when you take them out to check but may not produce enough when fitted.
I had a similar problem with my 900 it showed the same signs after a shop serviced it. I changed the plugs and it started straight up.

·
Ride the Sumo!
1,079 Posts
Really stupid I know but you have checked the kill switch? Silly point yes but I know of one or two peeps who have been caught out in the past!!:oops::laughing6::tard:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah thanks. The plugs were new 5000 miles ago . . . should be fine, I'd've thought. And as I say, the engine turns - it ain't the kill. But thanks for thinking . .

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
The kill switch would mean no spark.

How much fuel do you have? Lots and gravity would push it through, not much and if the pump had gone then there may be no fuel getting through.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The pump is pumping. I disconnected the outflow tube, and fuel flowed when I turned on the machine. So I don't think the added weight would make a difference... unless you have other experience . . .

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
CDI unit possibly? If the timing has gone pear-shaped. Only way I can think l of to check is to swap someone else's over. But others may have better ideas.

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
You have checked all the fuses are ok, haven't you?

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
wet plugs and good spark !! it don't sound good.
just a few off the wall ideas

when did you last fill up???

was it petrol or diesel ??

i have heard of a case of the wrong nozzle being put back onto the wrong pump (diesel nozzle put onto petrol pump) so you think its petrol your filling up with.

i have also seen many times incidentds where the tanker has dumped the wrong fuel into the wrong tanks on petrol stations.

my old fleet manager filled up a diesel van with petrol (he normally drive a petrol car) yep he blew the engine up:(:(:D:D:D:D:D

i would suggest draining the tank & re-fill

·
Registered
346 Posts
I'm going to ask the obvious one here. You DO have compression on the cylinders when its cranking over don't.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Fuses are all good. Compression is there. I'm leaning towards Whealie and the CDI - which I think means a trip to a repair shop and a tidy price to boot. But thanks to all for ideas.

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Fuses are all good. Compression is there. I'm leaning towards Whealie and the CDI - which I think means a trip to a repair shop and a tidy price to boot. But thanks to all for ideas.
If there is another member nearby, ask them to pop round and swap them (three minute job) if yours does not work on their and theirs works on yours then you know. Saves a wasted journey.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts