Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Too much time on my hands so the internet is always inspiring, especially in my current state!! And as Bob pointed out in another thread its great to plan a good event.
So this summer I will be hopfully going on hols to my Parents in Spain, but this year I dont want to fly. I hate it and Im getting more scared of being on planes year by year... who knows why!! I also hate the whole airport rip off scam.
I have mentioned to wife intentions and I have decisions to make
Use van and take KTM in back to use out there. Main prob with this is Santander ferry is £850!!! and a 1000 miles. Then use the KTM which is going to put me riding places that will be fun off road and middle of nowhere but ..... fun
OR... and big or
Look for a new cheapy to ride down through France again prob from St Malo and enjoy the countryside, take in the pyrenees and head down to Spain. £150ish ferry and 2000 miles
Whats the obvious choice, keep going back to Transalp. Would be number 4 but cant think of anything other than... any ideas??? XT600 maybe
So what would you prefer to do.. as I say too much time on my hands.

·
SHW'MAE BUTT
3,270 Posts
Another TA go for it, as you do have an eye for a good deal. are you going to pop a baby seat on as well?:D
When you look at the cost of the ferry and the cost of fuel and the time scale riding down is a plus. As you can do top of France to the Spanish boarder in a day at less than half the cost of the Boat.:thumbup:

·
Registered
251 Posts
+1 for 'Alp.

From what you've outlined I reckon an 'Alp will do everything you need and more, within a reasonable budget. Your van+ferry option might work out cheaper, but think of the extra 1000 miles of fun you'd have just taking a bike!

Joe

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Forgot option 3
And possibly the maddest. Santander ferry and ride the KTM !!
obviously the cost of a large tank is needed and a gearing change and the supermoto wheels I have in the garage waiting for hot sunny days.
Downside is available luggage space, lights and seat and 1 lit of oil getting belted all the way there

·
SHW'MAE BUTT
3,270 Posts
Forgot option 3
And possibly the maddest. Santander ferry and ride the KTM !!
obviously the cost of a large tank is needed and a gearing change and the supermoto wheels I have in the garage waiting for hot sunny days.
Downside is available luggage space, lights and seat and 1 lit of oil getting belted all the way there

Forgot the Mega sore arse.:D:D

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Another TA go for it, as you do have an eye for a good deal. are you going to pop a baby seat on as well?:D
When you look at the cost of the ferry and the cost of fuel and the time scale riding down is a plus. As you can do top of France to the Spanish boarder in a day at less than half the cost of the Boat.:thumbup:
I think the way you are thinking J is makin me look at TAs.... again. The few days spent riding down there is my time. Once wife arrives i do the family bit as it may possibly include Granson and daughter. Time for riding maybe limited then. At the end of the hols drop them back off at airport drop off hire car,load bike and scenic route home. Hmmm

·
Ride the Sumo!
1,096 Posts
What about an Africa Twin? Or an NX650? DR650?
What KTM is it? If it is a 640 why not ride it out there?

·
one-legged member
4,493 Posts
What about a BMW GS650 Phil, their mpg is not to be sniffed at.

Three years ago I rode mine (Dakar) down and back to the Pyrenees and trail-riding while we were there, over 2000 miles and I averaged 71mpg.

If not then a Tranny will do the job easily, but you know that :D

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
When it comes to budget I think the Dakar BM is another overpriced bike, pity as I would really fancy one.

·
Ride the Sumo!
1,096 Posts
What is the budget?

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Can you fit any more bikes in the van - if anyone wants to do a similar thing you could take their bikes for a fee and they fly to a destination or just get the ferry as foot passengers

It would cover some of your costs and you could share a cabin to save costs too

Only an idea

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
If the choice comes down to having a good working knowledge of a range of bikes then you are better qualified than most phil.

but if the emphasis of the ride is "the ride" and by that I mean taking in the scenery and atmosphere on something that you know will get you there without missing a beat, then obviously the transalp idea is rock solid.

but if you can get some fellow riders to split the costs with you then that has mileage( road trip laughs camaraderie. )

but if you want to do some quality family time when you get there then that might be a bit more complicated.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Phil,I was in the UK in Oct and a mate told me about a 1996 600Transalp for sale so I looked and bought it,put new tyres on it had it MOTd then rode it down to Mallorca,I thought it was the perfect bike for the job,I wanted to visit a small village in France so took a sweeping route east of Paris down to Reims then across the centre to Millau to cross the viaduct and on to Barcelona.
The trip took two days I did 550 miles the first day and stayed in Vichy then 440 miles the second day,I thought that the Transalp was better for that ride then my @ ( I`ve done the same trip on both bikes)so I think the Transalp is the bike.

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
.....................................................................................................................
FFS Phil, I think I'm losing the will to live :confused:

Can't find a head banging smiley!

Phil
Variety is the spice of life.. even if it could possibly be the same bike:D

Can you fit any more bikes in the van - if anyone wants to do a similar thing you could take their bikes for a fee and they fly to a destination or just get the ferry as foot passengers

It would cover some of your costs and you could share a cabin to save costs too

Only an idea
The van idea is good if that could happen but its doubtful, was contemplating HUMM with a mate and the van would have done it with KTM but that would mean comin home again with person and then goin on hols with family. Pity
then throw a load more money at it again to get it how you like. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
Nah KTM takes that up now:D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts