Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Xi dwejjaq member
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Meeting Girlfriend flying in on Saturday afternoon aeroplane, wondering how long will it take me to travel by Transalp from Nottingham to Geneva, to be at the aerodrome to collect her on time ?

Google Earth tells me the distance is 698 miles, the journey time 11 hours and 26 minutes ...

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
mmm......I would say it will take a little longer than that.......going to have to stop, eat,rest, etc.......

Reactions: ©-©

·
Beer monster.
227 Posts
Tamworth to Bordeaux used to take me about 14hrs, so I'd guess about the same. Only time I did it considerably quicker was on the ZZR.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Cabbage2404,
Think of it as more of a sorta guessing game, how long will it actually take, sweepstake thing.
Oh, okay then.
I once did Brownhills (west-Mids) to just outside Sarlat la Caneda (Dordogne) via Calais and including Ferry-kip-food and pee stops that took a little over 17 Hours, and around the same time for a trip to Valence.
So i'm guessing 15 and a half Hours all in for your jaunt.

·
Beer monster.
227 Posts
Of course, if you could use the Lightning in my signature, and they would allow supersonic flight over land it would reduce the journey time significantly. Flight time 23 minutes.

Sent from my LT30p using Tapatalk

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
If you use the superslabs all the way then that's not far off the timing

Rode down and got the first train when we went to the Stella and got as far as Besancon on the first day but we did a very long route,Lux, Belgium, back into France all the way down to do the mountain routes but we also had 5 1/2hrs of heavy rain

We abandoned our route at 7.40pm from a 5.am start in Blighty after 800 miles

Reactions: ©-©

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I would strongly suggest you take the ferry rather than te tunnel, ten at least you get an enforced break where yo can properly get away from the bike and more importantly, the seat;)

Really, if you're being realistic, then 600km in a day is pushing it, cos you'll be like a Zombie and absolutely sod all use to your girlfriend :angel10: I did 680 or so last year on my RT(Frankfurt-Dover) and that was quite enough... Are you riding onwards the next day? Cos your arse'll be nippin'!

Don't forget you'll need a vignette before you can drive on the autoroutes in CH...border chappies are usually very hot on that...

·
Xi dwejjaq member
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Vignette in CH

... Don't forget you'll need a vignette before you can drive on the autoroutes in CH...border chappies are usually very hot on that ...
A vignette ... what ?

·
Xi dwejjaq member
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: Vignette in CH

"To travel on Swiss motorways, road users must purchase and display a vignette (sticker) or face large on the spot fines. You can buy a vignette at most border crossings, petrol stations, post offices, by phone (+800 1002 0030) and online. The price of a vignette is currently CHF 40."

·
Registered
26 Posts
I would strongly suggest you take the ferry rather than te tunnel, ten at least you get an enforced break where yo can properly get away from the bike and more importantly, the seat;)

Really, if you're being realistic, then 600km in a day is pushing it, cos you'll be like a Zombie and absolutely sod all use to your girlfriend :angel10: I did 680 or so last year on my RT(Frankfurt-Dover) and that was quite enough... Are you riding onwards the next day? Cos your arse'll be nippin'!

Don't forget you'll need a vignette before you can drive on the autoroutes in CH...border chappies are usually very hot on that...
This seems pretty realistic to me... My bro and I just went to mont st michel a couple of weeks ago (curiously, I parked next to another British TA700, not anyone on here...?) and it took us 5 hours to do 300 miles on the peage. That was with breaks.

So... My sweepstake guess is 2 comfortable days, split equally :) or one crazy day of 15hours +!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Xi dwejjaq member
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Nottingham to Geneva weather ... !

Just checking the weather forecasts, and ...
Thursday -

Friday -

Saturday -

·
Xi dwejjaq member
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Off we go ... !

Nottingham to Geneva, 22nd May 2014.

08:00.

Looks a bit wet out there for a Nottingham to Geneva jaunt.

11:42.
Rain ceased, set off from Nottingham, choosing the route to Dover via Grantham, then A1, A14, M11, M25, M20, trundling along at seventy most of the way, narrowly avoiding the intense wetness of a couple of heavy showers, just catching a splattering from their edges as the road ahead dodges away from the worst of it.

£20.00p, 14.50 litre fuel top-up at 149 road miles from Nottingham.

Heavy weather ahead, as TA and I do battle with blustery side winds atop the Dartford crossing.

After the bridge toll queues, accelerating up through the gears … boing … the clutch lever comes all the way back to the bars in that bugger-it-clutch-cable-snapped way.
Trundle almost entire length of M20 in top before deciding to stop to fit the spare cable.
14:41

Tools, they’re the things
Much to my delight, discover clutch cable still intact, it had just come adrift from its engine casing fitting. Re-fitted and nuts tightened, I carry on to Dover.
Check oil-level, see that it is still on the dip-stick high level.

Down into town and along the seafront to the terminal, find the P&O ferry ticket office and purchase a £45.00p one-way for TA and me passage on the 16:40 to Calais.

15:24

15:42

TA secured aboard P&O.

Traditional last chance for it pig-out on fish&chips on the ferry, sailing away from Blighty.

Disembark.

Head south on the A26, Reims being my destination for tonight. Should arrive at the Touring Hotel at about ten-thirty.

€26.00c, 15.76 litre fuel top-up at 298 road miles from Nottingham.

A26 overtaking towards sunset, ahead, storm clouds golden edged by the last of the sun.

As a thinking ahead precaution, stop and put all of my wet weather togs on, then carry on.

oooh, look …

… more windmills !

21:05
Through the muffling of my ear-plugs I can hear that the TA’s engine is getting oddly noisier, a kinda clicking-clacking-ticking that rises and falls with the engine revs.
Is that a hot oil smell wafting up into my nostrils ?
Look at the temperature gauge, has it risen higher than normal … ?
Yes.
Back off the throttle and start to slow, just as the TA engine splutters, coughs and suddenly ceases to facilitate further trundling, locking the rear tyre in a skid-slide and I’ve the clutch lever pulled in before I even know I’m doing it … Silent Transalp and I coast to a gloomy hard-shoulder halt.
Engine seriously dead. No chance of re-start.
See that we are within pushing distance of an emergency ‘phone.
Big Trucks thunder by.
The gaudy impressionist palette of the sunset sky gives way to dark clouds.
As twilight gives way to gloom, now I’m glad I have a Hi-Viz to put on.
Puff and pant push heavily laden hazard lights flashing Transalp (and its beam of bright headlight) towards the emergency ‘phone.

21:20
Once I’ve regained my Auld-Fart breath, press the Panic Button and announce my plight to the nice French girl on the other end of the line. “Mousieur, we will send a mechanic to you. Ee will be thirty minutes.”

Here by A26 emergency ‘phone No.CR205, it begins to rain.
Smstxt G/f in Nottingham. “Cancel your flight to Geneva, the Little Black Transalp ain’t going any further for quite some time to come.”

Three-hundred and forty-nine road miles from Nottingham. It’s dark and getting wetter.

Smstxt response from Girlfriend …
“On Saturday I’ll drive down in the car and rescue you.”
Gotta love and admire the spirit of that Woman.

Mechanic arrives, and we manage enough French and English between us to get the stricken TA off of the A26 (€9.70c Calais to Laon toll fee for TA on back of tow-truck) and taken away to the local ‘ADL Motos’ Honda dealership, and me deposited at an hotel nearby in Laon .

23:00
Whisky. Room 215, Hotel Saint Vincent, Rue Charles De Gaulle, Laon, France.

So, my total 349 road mile journey time from West Bridgford, Nottingham, with stops for petrol, waiting for the ferry across the channel, then the trundle along to the A26 emergency ‘phone CR205 near Laon, France, was nine hours and thirty-eight minutes.
Getting to Geneva though … that might take somewhat longer.

23/5/2014
10:00
Explain what happened to ADL Motos Honda mechanic, he’s mystified as to the problem with my 11,422 mile specimen of the usually remarkably reliable Transalp model.
Daylight examination of the v-twin motor reveals no outer sign of anything awry.
On the button, starter solenoid clicks, but no turnover.
Able to engage 1st and 2nd gears.
Oil level still on the dip-stick high level.
ADL Motos Honda mechanic explains that he won’t be able to start work to find out what is wrong with my Black TA until June 5th.

It’s May 2014, and I'm an Auld-Fart Englishman temporarily marooned here in an hotel in Laon, France ... Ypres, Arras, names from the past.

To be continued.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Re: Off we go ... !

Oh dear, but at least you got a ride out:D

I learnt the hard way last october that Frenchie bike shops are all shut on mondays… I also learnt the value of good breakdown cover; I can't fault the ADAC. They sorted hotels, dealt with the breakdown people and the garage, and generally made sure eveything worked as advertised:thumbup:

Reims is very pretty, so go and have a glass or two of the local tipple, which just happens to be champagne;) …and Paris isn't far away; Take the missus there for a romantic weekend:toothy10:

·
Xi dwejjaq member
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Was it me ... ?

Got the '06 Black Transalp second-hand last year, it had only 6,000 and something miles on it, and looked to be in good condition all around, still had original Honda tyres upon it, which tallied with the claimed mileage.

The Black Transalp did Midlands to Malta, a lap around Sicily and then back up to the Midlands without any problems at all.
In Malta I'd changed the oil and filter, put new tyres on it.

Before setting off for Geneva, I'd changed the oil and filter again, replaced the worn down, past their best original Honda brake pads in the rear.

Y'know I also have a Blue Transalp in Malta, also second hand, of 2001 vintage and of substantially higher mileage.
The two Transalps, although both entirely original, have never sounded the same as each other on acceleration.
By comparison, my thirty years of Black GPz900r ownership (that's The Beloved in Malta) and recent ownership of Scarlett in the Midlands, tells me that they sound the same as each other when running.

Ash, at Nottingham Autocraft, heard the Black TA running when he MoT'd it recently. His vastly more experienced ears noted nothing untoward.

With ear-plugs in and me happily trundling steadily along the monotonous A26 autoroute, I can't help but blame myself for not noticing earlier the strange noise that must have been a precursor to sudden engine failure ... but what exactly was it that caused it ?

Once upon a time, accelerating an LC350, two-stroke oil starvation began a mini seizure that I managed to save by quick clutch work and coasting to a cooling-off halt.

Pondering the way the Black TA engine went, I've come to the conclusion that it might have been an oil pump failure in the Transalp, causing sudden overheating and v-twin seizure !

What do you lot think ?

Meanwhile, in room 205 of Hotel Saint Vincent, Laon, France, I'm happily awaiting the arrival this Saturday afternoon of Gorgeous Girlfriend, coming all the way from Nottingham to rescue me ... WhattaGal !

Last night, going native, I had heavily garlic'd snails for supper ... mmmn, mmmn, Yummy !

·
Xi dwejjaq member
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Re: Was it me ... ?

Oil pump failure ... and oil pressure light?
Oil pressure light was working Ok, but did not show/shine any red warning of a loss of pressure in the moments before the engine seized.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts