Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While trail riding in Northumbria last weekend, the party I was with bumped into a couple of local lads up from Newcastle.

Intriguingly, one chap was riding an Honda XR250 (I didn't notice the model) and he told me he was riding it on L plates after passing his CBT. He said that he was allowed to legally ride it as he had had the bike on a rolling road and had a test certificate for the output, at the rear wheel obviously, and that as it dropped below the 12hp limit, he was legal.

Nice trick I thought. "So what did you do to restrict it?", I asked.

"Nothing",he said, "I had the test done with off road tyres on and on a rolling road, the output from the back wheel is hugely reduced as the rolling road does not get the grip!"

He confirmed that he always carries a test certificate from the dealer to cover his back.

So, how legal can this be, I have never seen where the output is taken, but sort of assumed it was at the gearbox sprocket.... If this is legit, it opens up an interesting avenue for A2 bikes too??

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have to say, so did I!!

The guy seemed most insistent about it though... Ahh well, it was a nice idea :)

·
Registered
7,696 Posts

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1 - 5 of 5 Posts