Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Drop my AT in the mud the other day and have broken the speedo and tacho mounting plate :mad:- hopefully I can bodge this back some how. The right hand indicator mounting also took some of the knock and is nearly off - i recently bought a little arc welder. So hoping to weld back it back. Is disconnecting the bikes battery suficient ? I remember in the ewan mcgregor series they totally muellered a GS when they got some local guys to weld it. I know the AT isnt quite as complicated but is there any chance of damaging anything electrical if i weld insitu?

And finally can some one tell me a good source for crash bars. Doing quite a bit of off roading here in the dordogne and want to try and keep my AT in one peice:thumbright:

·
I need a hug!
1,231 Posts
Hi There.

I would also disconect the rectifier/CDI and Tripmaster to be safe, I also think an arc welder will be too much for what you want to weld, see if you can borrow a Mig welder, the tubing is only about 1.5mm thick and an arc welder may just blow holes in it even on low power with small rods.

Rog.:thumbup:

·
Stone Crazy
5,311 Posts
I would be removing the parts before attempting to weld anything, things weld a lot easier flat on the bench i always have used gas or arc never had a mig but the arc is deffo not for thin metal especially if you have never done any welding before, i know of someone who loused up 2x£1000+ control computers on a scanai lorry once welding to the chassis
merv

·
Registered
90 Posts
Yes you MUST disconnect the battery. Some disconnect more stuff, tho' I havent. No, it's not the best kit for the purpose, but I use the same thing, cos I have to. Tho' if you're new to welding I'm not optimistic about success.

Practice a bit on similar steel first.

·
Registered
470 Posts
No need to disconnect the battery or other instruments, just disconnect the negative lead. That keeps the welder discharge from the bike's circuit.

·
Tea boy
121 Posts
If your intent on giving the old arc welder a go, like many of them say. If you don't practice your welding skills you will probably burn more holes than you are trying to mend. I use only arc, and probably do 5 or 6 bits of welding a week but still hit problems now an then. My best advice is make sure your joints are close together, don't try and bridge too many gaps, and sometimes grind a V in the joint so you can fill with weld, this make a nice clean joint that is strong and looks good. Best of luck.
Bob :thumbup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts