Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well this just appeals to me , maybe its because its white and maybe its because its retro but different to a Bonnie but I just love it

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
for me it's the way that the cylinder sticks out and up that makes them different and desirable.

·
skeptical old git
1,734 Posts
Very nice indeed; see the black version?

Be warned, if you ride one, you'll want it! It looks like a bike for sunny Sunday runs to the pub, but ends up being the bike you want to ride every day because it's practical, economical and manages to have character at the same time.

It's small and feels light (at nearly 180kg it's not exactly a featherweight, but it carries the weight low so you hardly notice it), the steering is fast, throttle response very crisp. Suspension is taut. It looks like a soggy old retro, but it doesn't ride like one!

Power is low at 48bhp. That the same (I think?) as a 600/650 Transalp, but with the shaft drive is probably no more than 40bhp at the wheel. It feels good anyway, because of the low(ish) weight, throttle response and torque. Really you notice it at very low speed (heavy flywheel, comparitively?) getting off the line, and at high speeds, but in the middle ground of 20mph up to about 70mph it goes nicely. It has the advantage of running out of puff just about where speeds get to the point where you might get into proper trouble ;)

Test rides are hard to get as there aren't many out there, but it's worth trying to get a ride on a 750 Breva, which has exactly the same engine and chassis (except wheels) and gives and excellent idea of what the V7 is like. Breva is a great bike too, but it doesn't have the V7's looks, or sound. (That's another thing, you just won't believe how good the V7 sounds, fully euro 3-compliant exhausts and all.)

Only 3 things against it. First, the tank is only 15 litres (though at over 50mpg, that's a range of at least ~165 miles). Second, it's physically small so might not suit people over 6' or anyone planning long two-up tours, though I've heard of a very happy 6'3" owner, and also someone who manged a two up tour with camping gear (good luggage options are available). Third, the Guzzi dealer network is sparse; you only really need them for servicing if in warranty, and though the CDI/injection needs sorting by laptop (not often) and software is freely available (not free-as-in-beer, but free-as-in-not-controlled-by-Piaggio).

As an ex-Triumph owner, and a fan of Triumphs, I've got to say the Guzzi is much better put together. Yes, yes, I know it's a Guzzi, but Piaggio really have got the build quality sorted.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Very nice indeed; see the black version?

Be warned, if you ride one, you'll want it! It looks like a bike for sunny Sunday runs to the pub, but ends up being the bike you want to ride every day because it's practical, economical and manages to have character at the same time.

It's small and feels light (at nearly 180kg it's not exactly a featherweight, but it carries the weight low so you hardly notice it), the steering is fast, throttle response very crisp. Suspension is taut. It looks like a soggy old retro, but it doesn't ride like one!

Power is low at 48bhp. That the same (I think?) as a 600/650 Transalp, but with the shaft drive is probably no more than 40bhp at the wheel. It feels good anyway, because of the low(ish) weight, throttle response and torque. Really you notice it at very low speed (heavy flywheel, comparitively?) getting off the line, and at high speeds, but in the middle ground of 20mph up to about 70mph it goes nicely. It has the advantage of running out of puff just about where speeds get to the point where you might get into proper trouble ;)

Test rides are hard to get as there aren't many out there, but it's worth trying to get a ride on a 750 Breva, which has exactly the same engine and chassis (except wheels) and gives and excellent idea of what the V7 is like. Breva is a great bike too, but it doesn't have the V7's looks, or sound. (That's another thing, you just won't believe how good the V7 sounds, fully euro 3-compliant exhausts and all.)

Only 3 things against it. First, the tank is only 15 litres (though at over 50mpg, that's a range of at least ~165 miles). Second, it's physically small so might not suit people over 6' or anyone planning long two-up tours, though I've heard of a very happy 6'3" owner, and also someone who manged a two up tour with camping gear (good luggage options are available). Third, the Guzzi dealer network is sparse; you only really need them for servicing if in warranty, and though the CDI/injection needs sorting by laptop (not often) and software is freely available (not free-as-in-beer, but free-as-in-not-controlled-by-Piaggio).

As an ex-Triumph owner, and a fan of Triumphs, I've got to say the Guzzi is much better put together. Yes, yes, I know it's a Guzzi, but Piaggio really have got the build quality sorted.
I had never seen so many positive things said about a Guzzi and I should know.....I am glad to see that the Piaggio management have made a different as in my days they were disatsres on two wheels...the engines were solid (they haven't changed in 1500 years) but the rest specially elctrics were a knightmarre.....glad things are better and such a famous name has managed to pull itself from the brink:thumbup:

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
bloody hell that guy loves his new toy.....mind you ask my dad and he'll tell that this....
is the best bike:rolleyes: ever built....

·
Cant stop 'tinkering'
1,818 Posts

·
skeptical old git
1,734 Posts
You could get quite close to that Clubman with various off the shelf bits. The seat and bars are similar to the Cafe Classic model

Corsa Italiana will sell you the vintage style rocker covers...

...and very nice Mistral cans:

(Images linked from http://www.corsaitaliana.com/, who ahve lots of nice Guzzi bits)

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wonder how nice it sounds with those Mistral cans. The only downside is its relatively low power:(

·
skeptical old git
1,734 Posts
it's been a while since I taunted phil w

how's about this then...

This is a special (though only a few hundred quid more than stock) from Corsa Italiana.

Don't worry about the power. It's virtually the same power as a 650 Transalp (though also smaller and lighter), and who worries that the TA is too slow? It's taut and the throttle response is crisp, so it's not like it feels like a soggy middleweight.

Besides, we all know that Italian horses are faster than Japanese ones (and much louder too :D). If anything you, may need to apply restraint. The wee bugger wore out its rear tyre in 3000 miles :eek:

·
In search of 7th gear!
933 Posts
My old boss has the V7 Classic (bought new last year). He's had a bit of trouble with the seat (absorbs water) some rattling noises on the bike that shouldn't be there and an issue with the exhausts.

This was dealt with poorly by Metropolis in London, and he's since switched to another dealer. He's very happy with the bike and loves the way it rides. I've ridden it once in city traffic. It's a nice bike, although too low for me now I'm used to the Tiger & KTM...

JB

·
skeptical old git
1,734 Posts
[in case anyone is still watching this thread...]

Guzzi are releasing a revamped V7 range soon. This has a new version of the smallblock motor with a (bit) more power and torque, but also a more modern head design and various more modern features that should lengthen maintenance intervals -- there's nothing wrong with the old engine, it's solid as a rock and easy to work on, but (apart from the FI and ECU they bolted on in place of the carbs and points) it's rather old tech. Also a 22 litre tank, which should give an excellent range (the old 15 litre tank would do about 165 miles minimum, so the new one should have a range of 250 miles or more).

The new bike should be perfect for anyone who liked the look of the V7 but found it just a little too close in spec. to the original 1970s bikes :D

Information at: EICMA 2011: announcing the new Moto Guzzi V7 | Piaggio Group

Moto_Guzzi_nuova_V7_06_0.jpg

Moto_Guzzi_new_V7_Range_750.jpg

·
skeptical old git
1,734 Posts
A bike like that should really not have cast wheels. The wire wheels look so much batter.
Personally I agree, but some people are put off by them (can't have tubeless tyres, heavier, more cleaning, worry the rims might rust etc...) so it seems like a smart move to offer one version with cast wheels. At least they've gone for a style like the old Le Mans.

Interesting that they went from a modern plastic tank back to steel... cheaper?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts