Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen the issue of whether to show full number plates in picures debated many a time. I'm also aware that MCN covered the issue recently.

My personal point of view has always been that if someone wanted a registration number they could go down to any bike meet, dealers, bike park, etc, etc.. and get a reg number so I've never been that bothered about it.
The only issue I can see is that you're possibly making it more accessible to these people. I also think the chance of it happening is incredibly remote and easily rectified. But...... that is my opinion.

I'd therefore be interested in an official response on this matter from any of our members in the Police or perhaps MAG or the BMF, i.e. so that its based on fact or sound advice from people like the Police that should know, no a load of journalists looking to sell papers. :teeth:

·
Good Moaning
525 Posts
I never covered my plate in any pic put online, however I can imagine a scenario in which it could be hazardous. I don´t know about the UK, but here you can go to the DMV and pay 10 or 20 Euros to find out the address of a plate, and if someone goes through that trouble you might give away details of your life that might be of use to burglars, like vacation times, when will the house be empty, etc, etc, a bit far fetched though

G

·
As a number plate is public I personally wouldn;t bother hiding it on a internet picture. If anyone wanted a plate for a @ or any other bike all they have to do is to look on ebay and I'm sure that in a couple of days they'd have one to copy.

Kymmy 8)

·
one-legged member
4,493 Posts
I'm with you Dave...............................on the number plate thingy that is :shock:

·
whys the rum always gone?
17,680 Posts
i just cover mine as a matter of coarse now it easy for a thief to knick a bike have a snifter at a forum to find one the same make and colour and think yeh that'll do :twisted: there is some very shitty people out there :roll:

but as you say dave the chances are most likely very slim

·
Premium Member
9,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess I'm trying to ensure that I'm being responsible.
If I received guidance from an official body saying that number plates shouldn't be shown I'd task the moderators with picking up any that are shown, and posting warning message on the pictures section, etc...
I don't want to do that though unless there's sound advice that there's a genuine problem.

·
Need Constant Supervision
2,495 Posts
Agree with you Dave, if someone really want to clone a number plate they will make the effort to get the same colour, model and bike to do it. I can't be bothered to smudge every numberplate pic I have taken.

·
whys the rum always gone?
17,680 Posts
Maverick said:
Agree with you Dave, if someone really want to clone a number plate they will make the effort to get the same colour, model and bike to do it. I can't be bothered to smudge every numberplate pic I have taken.
they wouldnt bother with yours there isnt a plate on the planet that crappy :teeth:

theres no way it could be replicated :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
skeptical old git
1,734 Posts
If you're posting a picture of your own bike, then it's obviously up to you what you. But what if you're posting a picture of someone else's bike?

Since some people would prefer not to advertise their registration numbers, it seems only polite to obscure any number plate in a picture that you post, even if you don't personally think it matters. It only takes a few seconds...

BTW if you don't have a good package for messing about with pictures, take a look at GIMP (http://www.gimp.org/). It's free, and it's very good.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts