Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys

One of the bike clubs I belong to managed to hire the Nurburgring Nordshleife for a whole day in October - I've ordered a set of Pilot Road's for the occassion. Have I done the right thing?

Dave

·
Registered
43 Posts
oh my god , if you havent done it your nuts , my boss is whats known as a ringer hes been round it that many times , hes been with the bmw lot they have it for a week and they try to teach the ring hes done it for the last five years , you could say hes got the tee shirt , best thing is to get in the ring taxi (m5 bmw) and go round it in that ,,and sit at vultures corner and watch the action its a 13 mile roller coaster

·
Registered
164 Posts
Great place. I got an indicated 183mph out of my GSXR1000 a few years back along the first part of the start-finish straight (you can only use the beginning and the end normally).

Expect the unexpected at the 'ring. That place deserves respect and can make you pay heavily for mistakes!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ah The Ring, Yes I have been there and I probably and I know this might sound conceited but I will say it anyhow, but having motorcycled for over 40years now when I went around there I probably broke the track record on my Blackbird by being wait for it............. the slowest rider ever to go around the Ring.Well what did you think that I was going to say.
I was slow but boy what an experience it was the nearest thing you can get on a motorbike to being on a fairground ride,absolutely brilliant.I would recommend it to anyone but if your not taking the racing line make sure that you stay over to the right with your indicator on.
Having said that I have been around the ring at some speed because the year after I returned with some mates and one of them had spent hours getting it but got a ticket for the M5 Ring Taxi and when we got in who was driving only Sabina (Top Gear). Is sge quick or what.
Enjoy your trip and just remember to go at your own speed.

·
Registered
132 Posts
hi dave,

i'm going down to the ring this friday, can't wait!! 18 bikes heading down friday morning, went there three times last year, all on my varadero.
with regard to the tyres, if there anything like a road pilot 2 that i had on my bmw 1200 rt, you will love it, still you have loads of time to scrub them in before you go, should be fine though.

i'm going on my new pan european this time, as one of the guy's say's if your not a racer keep over to the right, try not to start racing other bikes or the clock!! enjoy the whole experiance and also the surrounding area it's a beautiful area.

YouTube - varadero does nurburg ring

clik on the link, that's me filing on the ring last october, in defence of my speed (which isnt fast, i did blow a fuse half way round, ( no speedo, no lights, ) that's my excuse and i'm very happy sticking to it!!
have a great time and be very carefull.

mac:thumb:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Mac

Enjoyed video.Not the best conditions for going around the ring were they. Interested to read you now have a Pan because thats a bike I have been considering. What persuaded you to get one.

·
Registered
132 Posts
no mate was getting dark that evening, still enjoyed it though;
in response to the pan question, i was looking at getting another vara, because it's a great bike , and i was very shocked at how much it had been affected by a couple of winters riding, my very freindly honda dealer (kent motor cycles) put the seed in my head about keeping the vara as a winter bike and get a new differant bike for the summer,!!
tried the pan and it was love at first ride, brilliant bike, smooth powerfull , very fast.
still got the varadero and enjoy riding it still.
i let you know how i feel after 2,500.00 miles in four day's.(off to amsterdam after the ring )

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Mac

No I'm not a racer but there will only be 150 bikes on the ring all day and then not all at the same time.

We all know each other and there are mixed abilities so hopefully no surprises. Definitely no Porsches, transit vans, coaches or anything like that.

This will be my first time and hopefully the weather will be kind to us. I did drop by there once before with a few friends, I was on my GL1800 that day, but there was apop concert going on so the track was closed!

Dave

·
Registered
99 Posts
I was at the ring on Thursday with my brother. We'd been out and about all day and ridden about 200 miles on some fantastic back roads :)

We got to the ring for public opening time at 17:30 but were told by a security chap that we couldn't go on the track. Even after 200 miles and with dark clouds showing a bit of light rain it was a disappointment. Found out the next morning that the track was open and the security guy was telling us wrong info, so a missed opportunity :(

·
Registered
132 Posts
well guy's,

got back last night from europe, did the ring saturday, that's my last time now, i'm no racer either, been round three times and made it!!

brilliant place though, stayed in a nice hotel in a place called kellberg, about 5 km from the ring, roads around there are exceptional ,

went to amsterdam on sunday morning, should have stayed where we were, much better!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts