Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I got bit. I've posted before about my '95 RD08 NX650 having a popping sound like leakage from a valve. Finally got around to pulling it down and Lo and Behold, the cam is bad. DUH!:mad:
Turns out the arm closest to the decompressor is worn and the lobe is pitting. Evidently thats the sound I was hearing of the valve not opening all the way.

But I have several problems now:

1. Honda has a price of over £300- in Norway for the cam and I'm having trouble finding anything on Ebay. Any tips?
2. Is the XR650 cam the same animal? Can I safely buy that as a replacement for the NX650 cam?
3. What are the chances I have to pull the head and check the valves? The bike has only 30k on it but when I got it the oil was sludge and low (ergo ruined cam). Do I have to redo the valves?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am seriously bummed right now and am tempted to chuck the whole thing in the bin...

Cheers

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
have you tried Hotcams most offroad shops can get them

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
have you tried Hotcams most offroad shops can get them
Yeah, I just found a link to Hotcams. They have an XR650 cam with no auto-decompression. Is the XR650 cam the same as the NX650? Has anybody installed this stage one cam with no decomp? Is it a problem starting the engine with the electric starter? The '95 has no kick starter...

·
Registered
942 Posts
i bought a used xr650L cam off ebay usa to replace my damaged nx650 cam,
its the same cam and drops straight in,
lots of xr650L's being broken in the states , many with very low hours,
my cam wear was caused by a worn out oil pump so worth checking that out,
you would need the cam from the L model the 650R is completely different

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i came across this while searching for something else.

Honda Dominator NX650 Cam CamShaft | eBay

worth a look.
regards,

mark
Damn, I should have seen that. I just ordered a Hot cam from the states. It must have just come up, I've been looking like crazy on Ebay.
No matter, the Hot cam doesn't use a decomp and is stage one. We'll see how that works out....

Thanks for the tip, though.

·
Bloody furriner
5,009 Posts
Hmm I was about to say careful with aftermarket cams as they're often aimed at more power at the expense of low-end grunt. But you've already ordered one, so we'll see I guess. :)

XR cams might be slightly different in valve timing but likely compatible as in they do fit. Friend of mine has an XL600R that had an XR600 cam for a while. Different characteristics (bit more power, bit less civilised at low revs) but it slotted straight in.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Check your oil pump. worth changing it for a new one and at the very least sealing it with hylomar.
This is a common cause of head/cam damage. If you don't fix the oil issue the new cam could go the same way as the old one.....

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hmm I was about to say careful with aftermarket cams as they're often aimed at more power at the expense of low-end grunt. But you've already ordered one, so we'll see I guess. :)

XR cams might be slightly different in valve timing but likely compatible as in they do fit. Friend of mine has an XL600R that had an XR600 cam for a while. Different characteristics (bit more power, bit less civilised at low revs) but it slotted straight in.

Yeah, there are some issues. Without the decomp it may be harder to start. Actually I can't see that the decomp has been working, there is barely any mark on the tab and when I rotate the cam with the decomp fully out it doesn't touch at all.

Some people have said the Hot cams are not reliable. But I was getting desperate and decided to get the Hotcam, nothing was coming up anywhere else. Of course that used cam popped right after my credit card was depleted! :)

Catteeclan better grab that before I think about having it as a reserve... ;)

·
Registered
202 Posts
Ssshhh. I'm watching that.
So am I and as I only wanted it for garage spares ill not bid on this one, like to pick up cheap spares when i can on evilbay picked up a mega bargain a while back, new old stock right rear panel 99p

Gotta be done, garage has some lovely bits building up for when im ready to do a nut n bolt restoration and a few upgrades, always wondered when im bidding the if im in a war with fellow Xrv'ers, lol:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
So am I and as I only wanted it for garage spares ill not bid on this one, like to pick up cheap spares when i can on evilbay picked up a mega bargain a while back, new old stock right rear panel 99p

Gotta be done, garage has some lovely bits building up for when im ready to do a nut n bolt restoration and a few upgrades, always wondered when im bidding the if im in a war with fellow Xrv'ers, lol:thumbup:
Thanks but you bid if you want it. It would only be as a spare for me too.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Hi,

I have the same issue you had (worn cam from oil starvation)...did the Hot Cam fit and work OK, issues??

1 - 17 of 17 Posts