Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys,

Sorry for my bad english. Not every day I write in mechanical terms.

I bought a NX650 from 1993 that worked fine. Removed the engine to paint the fram and change a few parts like the handlebar, lights etc. Also shortned a lot of electical cables since they where way to long. Started the bike and everything was fine but when I was to drive it, it drove very jerky in low speeds and even gas. When I stopped the engine could rev by it self slowly up to around 6-7rpm. The only thing that I´ve messed with is the choke since the new handlebar is higher so I loosened that a bit. (Did not help to put i back where it was). When I turn it off it also makes a sound from the exhaust. Not a bang but more like a slow loud "Blaaap". Sound like a wet fart.

I checked for leaks around the carb and engine but it does not look like it draws air from anywhere. I tried messing with the screw under the carb but that did nothing at all. Got it to work fine for a while where it did not rev by it self at all but it was still pretty jerky. Drove for a few miles with that and tried to fix it byt tuning the carb but now it revs by it self again..

What could be the issue? Could it be some electrical problem or is it the carb?

Regards
Marcus

·
Registered
231 Posts
I suspect it is the carb and would check that the choke is closing fully first.
Do you still have the airbox on the bike, as exchanging this for a pod filter will unset the CV carb and the smooth running. They have to be super clean inside as there are several very small passages in the carb that need to be free flowing.
A full strip down and a good clean of the carb will probably help.
Good luck with it.

·
Registered
2003 Honda XL650V Transalp
349 Posts
It sounds like the problem s mate had recently with his DR650. The plastic choke fitting on the carby broke on day one of a 3000km adventure ride here in Oz. Lucky for him were were passing through a town with a motorbike shop, with good mechanics. In 20min they had it fixed.
From your description it sounds like you've already checked the choke and cables.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts