Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry to add another front brake switch not making query, but can someone please confirm that the spring has not corroded away, sorry it’s a naff mobile photo, but the spring ends 6mm from the end of the pin is this correct? there was a lot of rusty liquid within the pin area behind the seal and I'm wondering if its disappeared. I feel that the spring isn’t even making the rod reaching the lever.
I’ve looked at solutions; zip tie, screw in the lever socket, I’ve even padded it out the socket with tin foil, they all work but I’m worried about heat expansion and the probability of the brakes engaging automatically.
I know these are old bikes now and are worth a bodge (I’m good at this) but there are some things I always try fix properly and brakes are one of them. Photo0121.jpg

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well me front brake seems to be binding now and then so it looks like i may have debris causing problems so I have to service the master cylinder, parts are on order and hopefully this should also sort the lever return problem, prob buy a new spring as I'm sure the rust from it ant helping.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Answering my own question: having received a master cylinder kit I have taken apart to find that the spring has broken into two pieces which is probably the reason the lever wasn't returning to make the switch (open the circuit).
New problem, the kit sent isn't the correct part so now having to return and hopefully get the correct part, I'm tempted to purchase genuine honda part £££, have to see the bank manager first.
If your tempted to buy a new spring I suggest buying the rubber sleeve as well as it broke up very easily trying to remove. A quick test would be to spray WD into the pin area, if brown gunky wd comes out your spring could be bust, definitely rusty.

spring.jpg kit.jpg

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thank you for a most informative post.

I'm currently in exactly the same position as you were then, the pictures and the incorrect spares supplied have probably saved me from aggro and time wasting. I need the rubber boot, the spring it contained and a new circlip. Did you end up replacing all the parts in the master cylinder whilst you had in bits, or just replace your broken items?

Once again many thanks for putting in the effort to get your info online.

·
Registered
742 Posts
There are two types of master cylinders.
Nissin and Brembo, easily identified by the logo on the actual M/C
The Nissin doesn't have the extra spring under the rubber boot, the Brembo does have it.
I don't know when they changed over, probably after 1995 RD02

1 - 8 of 8 Posts