Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone taken the oil strainer out of the bottom of their frame?

Tried removing it yesterday, so i could check it, and get frame ready for powder coat, but could not get it to undo.

Tried interlocking two spanners to get a higher torque, but still no joy.

Any tips on removal???

·
Registered
164 Posts
Hi Scotty, Yeah, the strainer can be a right pig to undo. The torque setting on it is a fairly hefty 40Nm. Last time undid mine, I slid a 3ft length of scaffolding pole over the spanner for some serious leverage.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Be careful they can round off easily i know mine was abused from a previous owner and i made it worse :( if you take the oil pipe off you can get a socket on there and use an impact gun or power bar try and use a hexagonal socket rather then the multi point ones good luck :thumb:

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks both for the advice.

I can see that someone has slipped with a spanner on previous attempts, that's why i was being a bit cautious with it.

Is there a copper washer or o-ring that i will need to change when refitting the strainer to the frame? (if i get it out :toothy8:)

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
There is an O ring but never had to change mine

·
Stone Crazy
5,311 Posts
THe SLR/Vigor handbook says just to blow the filter out with an airline and nothing else

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks All for the info.

Does anyone know the thread size of the strainer?? the side that screws into frame.

Need to find something to plug the frame once i got the strainer out.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Decided to have another go at removing oil strainer, after reading the post about an impact gun, thought it was about time I took mine out of its packaging.
Why didn’t I do this sooner, plugged the air in, pressed the trigger and out the strainer came.

Was surprised how clean it was, but glad I did it before having frame painted, at least I can give the frame a proper flush out now.

Need to get a new o-ring now, as someone had repaired it with mastic/sealant

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
There's a strainer in the engine as well it don't need checking very often i checked it when i rebuilt the top end in 2016 and the time i checked it before that was five years earlier clean both times

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Yes got to take the clutch side crankcase cover off to get at it

Screenshot (47).png

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi Fred

I got the RH crank case cover off and was wondering if I got to take anything else off to get at the internal oil strainer.
I can’t seem to see it??

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Its right at the very bottom of the crankcase under the clutch basket you have to undo one bolt and pull it out

Screenshot (54).png

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Found a better picture in my XR manual same engine just smaller :thumbup:

Screenshot (55).png

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
I tend to check that a few hundred miles after a rebuild, I had a bad experience many years ago after rebuilding my xl125 they had a gauze filter that had blocked up with all the fluff off the rags i was using to wipe things down seized my freshly rebuilt engine i was gutted. Got the top end off my XR400 at the moment and i will be checking that after its done just in case. :grin:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts