Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know the best ( cheapest really) place to get a new piston and rings , only got the head off so far but I can see that the piston has quite a bit of movement in it , any help would be gratefully appreciated

·
Registered
695 Posts

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
Does anyone know the best ( cheapest really) place to get a new piston and rings , only got the head off so far but I can see that the piston has quite a bit of movement in it , any help would be gratefully appreciated
All i can say is i ordered a piston (genuine) for my XR400 from david silver on the 3-4 week wait and it was £30 half the price i could get it anywhere else, has your barrell been rebored? they do sell over sized pistons / rings might be best to get it mic'd up before ordering so you get the correct one if it's that sloppy or get a new liner pressed in if your model uses a liner

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
At david silver I am looking at £150 plus post for piston, rings , pin and clips, Seems a lot to me , Wossner piston kits are £140 so i may go for them and they would suit the zorst/ports and carb mods a bit better . last time I bought a piton kit it was £32 :eek:

·
Registered
695 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cheers Bobn but I hope I am sorted now .
Took the cylinder to a engineering mate to get it measured , Thought he would just use a inside micrometer . Oh how wrong was I, He had a machine like something out of a spaceship and it gave a me a 3d view of the barrel and all its measurements . It measured 100.004mm at its widest point and it was 100.00mm when new so thats some pretty good wear considering the piston cracked and pooped itself . So it looks like a nice standard piston with new rings will be fine :thumbup:, and yes it will be genuine.

Just to note honda states a new piston is 99.96 - 99.98 . I was looking at getting a Wossener piston kit but they state a standard piston is 99.93 so be carefull as that would be too loose on a new standard bore

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Just to note honda states a new piston is 99.96 - 99.98 . I was looking at getting a Wossener piston kit but they state a standard piston is 99.93 so be carefull as that would be too loose on a new standard bore
Something to do with the different alloy expansion?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts