Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been slow progress on this one.

I get totally carried away with cleaning stuff, re-greasing and making it as good as a can..

It's starting to look like a bike now though. Well, kinda !!

Attachments

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers. It's a lot of work. They're not 'As new' but definitely better than before and they're different. It's done as good as it can be really.

Replacing rims and spokes on both wheels is about £500. And as I sell these on it would make it unaffordable. The new owner can make that financial decision themselves.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
great work its gleaming like a span new bike fair play to you :thumbup:did you paint the fork lowers I would be interested in what paints are best to use for a hard wearing finish as I want to do my own I have an aerosol can of etch primer there from when I done some wheels . which I believe is good for bare alloy where the pain has come off ?

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Cheers, it will really be like new once done... I wonder how much I can sell it for !!!

You can use a direct to metal enamel paint for fork lowers. The painting is only the end of the process though. In my experience you must shot blast the fork lowers first to it down to the bare alloy with a really rough key for the paint and thoroughly degrease otherwise it will look crap. Like any painting its 75% in the prep... With the paint you need many light coats and at least a week at room temperature for hardening.

I've no experience with etch primer as im shot blast everything.. It's the best way for long lasting results.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
I would be interested in how much you sell it for because my project is nearly done and I would like to know what thet sell for.:thumbup:
What exhaust system are you going to use on yours?

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Well, I rebuild the engines too with a honed bore, new rings, cam chain, gaskets, seals etc.. So that adds a lot of time and cost. Each ones costs me about £2000 just to build. And about 200 hours of graft.

Everyone has new tyres, new chain and sprocket and new bearings throughout.

As for the exhaust, on this one I'm going to recondition the original system as it runs nice with it. I've tried big pipes on Dommies and the back pressure is reduced a lot. This gives you more hp at the top but sacrifices low end performance which I think these bikes are great for.

I'm doing this as a business and to be honest I need to make £1000 profit to make it viable. However, its my first year in self employment (I was previously a BMW dealer tech) so I'm okay with making half of that.

I'm going to ask £2500 for it. Which is actually not a lot more than what old nails are going for.

That means I'm paying myself £2 an hour hahaha.

*Why am I laughing ??*

uploadfromtaptalk1450010027300.jpg

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm part way through reprojecting mine into a rally inspires off road tourer thing.

WP_20151211_16_53_35_Pro.jpg

Looks really good dude, what enamel did you use on the wheels, got a couple to do myself.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Well I got it off ebay, reckons its universal/translap, it was cheap though and decent quality just easy to make it fit than build a new one from scrath.

Think this listing has ended but hopefully it'll show it anyway:111828478385

·
Registered
358 Posts
Ted,

Was it easy enough to polish up the engine guard? Looks nice and bling.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts