Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,Honda NX650 1994 RD02 here,
I was about to change front brake pads and while taking old ones out those two tabs' fall off from piston tops

I put one back in place here ^ just to show you where it was.The thing is, that those tabs don't stay in place any more, it falls down if I put brake caliper on the side. It looks like that some kind of glue hold them in position before. I can still see some traces of it on the other side of tabs, photo below.

What do you think guys? Is it safe to ride with those holding in place just with a tension from braking pads ? Or should I glue it (I dont like this idea) ? Or should I buy something like this 45107ML7692 Piston Comp Honda - 45107-ML7-692 ? A bit pricey but what to do. It's interesting design, I'm a bit surprised that it didn't come from factory like the ones from the link ^. Does somebody know any reason for that ? Thanks in advance

·
Administrator
1,783 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Don't know about the RD02 in particular, but the pistons on my 2004 Transalp 650 are open-ended, and always have been . ;)

·
Registered
217 Posts
I've got an RD02 and have seen these discs. When I rebuilt my calliper I just smeared a layer of grease on both sides of the disc to hold them in place and to stop the pads squealing.

I've ridden several thousand miles since and no issue. When the pads back off there isn't enough room for them to fall out but I agree, it made me think when I first saw them.

I would think what looks like glue is just anti-squeal compound or grease but as said I just used some lithium grease on mine.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Most Silicone is pretty high temp resistant, a thin smear of that on the heat pad will stop them falling out once set.
They must be there for a reason. maybe its to do with the distance the piston will come out of the caliper?

·
Registered
357 Posts
You dont need them. They just help to reduce piston squeal. Some pads have a thin metal plate built on to do the same. A thin layer of brake paste or copper slip usually surfices.

Sent from my G7-L01 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for replies! I think I will keep them until next brake pads change and then I will consider removing them at all

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi guys

Also had it. One of the pads fell off when rebuilding the calipers - stuck it back on with epoxy glue. This glue adds a bit of 'cushioning' so the pad won't fall off again that easily.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts