Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!
I asked this question in advrider, got no answers, but the I remembered, that here is more specific forum :)

Mine dominator '97 with ~50 k km has two problems, whose don't make me mad, but I would like to solve:
1) when bike has not been used for more than 5 days, it takes some time to start it. I have to turn engine (crank?) (with electric starter) for several minutes until it starts. Next day it will start perfectly.
2) approximately once per 3000 km it is impossible to start warm engine with electric starter. Starter is cranking engine, but nothing happens. When I push it, it starts perfectly.

Maybe someone have had similar problems and knows solution? :)

Sorry for my English

·
Romanian Trailbiker
616 Posts
1. Pretty normal. Sounds like a bad carb setting + bad gas. Should only take really long if you're not really good at starting the bike. I had the same problem when I bough mine - sometimes it took me a few minutes. I lernt to start it within a few spins by 2 months into ownership.

2. The electrical switches involved in starting (sidestand, clutch, neutral) are gummed up. Clean them up along with the appropriate electrical contacts and you should be fine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!

1) This problem does not depend on gas station I have used. When I start bike, I fully close choke and do not touch throttle.
What is wrong with carb setup? bike is running fine.

2) I hope I'll have multimeter and enough time to check everything when next time this problem will occur. It can not be sidestand or clutch switch, because usually I start engine in neutral, it could be only neutral switch. Probably easiest way to check this is to change gears aggressively when this problem will occur.

·
Romanian Trailbiker
616 Posts
1. Bike will run fine but starting will be a bitch if the mixture is off.

2. Try to use in-gear starting. Aka put bike in first gear, raise sidestand, hold clutch then fire it up. Should start.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok, thanks, tomorrow I'll try to start engine with different choke/throttle positions!
I don't want to change carb settings until bike is running fine :)

·
Stone Crazy
5,310 Posts
Too help on the five day lay over problem
When you return from a journey switch fuel tap too off, let the carburettor empty of fuel until the engine stops itself,
then next time you go too start the bike turn on fuel 30 seconds before you go too start it, if you forget too do this unscrew the drain screw on the float bowl and drain the fuel out of the float bowl with the tap turned off, then turn the tap on again let the bowl refill before trying to start again,
I had the same problem until someone told me this
merv

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Too help on the five day lay over problem
When you return from a journey switch fuel tap too off, let the carburettor empty of fuel until the engine stops itself,
then next time you go too start the bike turn on fuel 30 seconds before you go too start it, if you forget too do this unscrew the drain screw on the float bowl and drain the fuel out of the float bowl with the tap turned off, then turn the tap on again let the bowl refill before trying to start again,
I had the same problem until someone told me this
merv
That could be real reason, because I never close fuel tap!
Thanks for ideas, tomorrow I'll test them!

·
Romanian Trailbiker
616 Posts
I'm one of the guys that ran around barking about emptying the float bowl. That DOES solve the problem but it doesn't get rid of the cause. Around here I get it with bad fuel (cheap 95 from no-name gas station vs 98 fuel from reputed source) mostly. Also does seem to happen more often in moisty weather.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, it worked!

I drained the fuel out of the float bowl and after six weeks engine started perfectly :)

·
Romanian Trailbiker
616 Posts
Thanks, it worked!

I drained the fuel out of the float bowl and after six weeks engine started perfectly :)
Next time you store it, either empty the carb or use fuel stabiliser. Emptying the carb is the best way to go.

Let us know if you get the other starting problem again.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have heard that it is not recommended to store bike with empty carbs - diaphragm can get too dry and damaged?

·
Registered
2 Posts
1) when bike has not been used for more than 5 days, it takes some time to start it. I have to turn engine (crank?) (with electric starter) for several minutes until it starts. Next day it will start perfectly.
Found this thread as I had same problem. All basic checks done - battery fine, spark fine - just had to spin for long time until start.

Problem was - water in the gasoline!!! Oldest problem ever - so the cure was simple as well - add carburettor alcohol. Problem solved!

I've taken over my dommie from a guy who did not use it much, so probably did build up som moisture in tank during storing. Mixes up for a day or so - but setles in bottom of carb and tank when standing for longer.

Hope this helps someone!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts