Honda XRV Forum banner

O forum please forgive me for what I have done...

3K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  piguglyshandydrinker 
#1 ·
I stand before you a pathetic sinner in front of my judges. May you find it in your hearts...

Ok, here goes:

I recently thought about parting with my Transalp.

It had become afflicted with the usual condition (corroded rims that had started to crack) and I considered chopping it in against a newer XT600E at my local motorcycle shop. :twisted:

I arrived at the dealer’s on the Transalp and parked it outside the shop while the dealer prepared the shiny, newer, meretricious XT for my sordid and unwarranted act of infidelity. Unwarranted, you see, because - apart from the problem with the rims (which is very much Honda's fault and not the fault of my dear SuperTed like TA) - it has been the most reliable and faithful motorcycle I have ever owned.

Oblivious to the hurt I was causing in my single-mindedly selfish action, I crashed on and took the XT out for a thoughtless and meaningless quickie that left me feeling far from gratified. Without wishing to impugn the qualities of the XT (which I’m certain is a fine motorcycle for the job it is designed for) I nevertheless thought it felt jumpy, uncomfortable and erratic - something was definitely missing.

On my return from the XT test ride I caught my dear old Transalp in the corner of my eye across the dealer's forecourt. Something stirred inside me and through misty eyes I beheld what I had been searching for all along and realised, reader, that I was falling in love with her all over again. I am sorry for doing the old anthropomorphic thing but I really did feel a pang of deep regret and shame for having even harboured the thought of spending time in the company of another bike. In short, I felt that I had betrayed her.

I told the dealer that the XT wasn’t for me and sheepishly returned to the TA. After a long and penitent deliberation (did I deserve to be allowed back on board after my actions?) I climbed up and sank back in to the seat (which felt like an armchair in comparison with the hard riding XT) and fired her up. Of course she started first time as she has started everyday throughout the winter and her sweet engine purred away in the old reassuring way as soothing as whale song. The old magic...

I pulled away from the scene of my infidelity 'a sadder and a wiser man' and with a rueful smile vowed that I would treat my TA to replacement wheels and my undivided attention (and fidelity) for as long as we both shall live.

See less See more
#2 ·
Great post :thumb:

I did this twice :oops: , once with a VFR800, and another time with a Varadero, both times I enjoyed the "other" bike and neither one was considered too much of a strain money wise, the Varadero was a tough call, but when push came to shove I couldn´t part with my girl. :D

Now I just love her, in an abusive sort of way though :roll:

#6 ·
I feel you did no wrong.. you strayed sure but you came back.. and being allowed to stray is one reason bikes are better then women. :D :D

and on the up side a new set of rims is a lot cheaper than a new bike.. so in fact you saved money!!!! :thumb: :thumb:

#7 ·
I feel you did no wrong.. you strayed sure but you came back.. and being allowed to stray is one reason bikes are better then women. :D :D

and on the up side a new set of rims is a lot cheaper than a new bike.. so in fact you saved money!!!! :thumb: :thumb:

#10 ·
piguglyshandydrinker said:
Hey no worries from here!

You've tried something else all that confirmed was how much you like your current 'ride' :thumb:

Ain't that a good thing!

Phil
Phil, you've met my wife. Do you think I could try this argument with her?
OH hang on, your talking about motorbikes :cry:

#11 ·
Biggy and Pete. i am shocked to say the least. You church going people should read the only manual for life. In there it told you what you had to find out the ard way.

shame on you. I can not believe in this age that people would betray the only thing that is certain in life.

You should go to a temple (or something) and pray. I can not believe anybody would do such a thing and then have the Alpie there as a witness.

What is this world coming to? :cry:

#12 ·
Thank you for all your many kindnesses regarding my admission of infidelity. The Transalp is an amazing bike and we are all blessed to be able to claim ownership of such a ride.

It will never happen again - although I do sometimes think about the Africa Twin. You've got to have a dream I suppose!

Only kidding I'm staying put!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.