Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Truffle shuffle king
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok before you flame me I am still a newbie... Be gentle with me!

Great ride back home from work today, birds twittering and sun out and a tropical 11 degree, plus I finished early - so I took the LONG way home.
Plenty of great twists n turns, so I made good progress!

When I got home I noticed the chicken strips were none existant on rights and Significant on lefts. I thought of thE way I had come (an extra 30 miles) and I would say there were approx the same lefts as rights!
So..... Am I a chicken for lefts? Or is this normal?
(I am picturing 30 or so people getting their coats to go have a look)

come on girls and boys enlighten me

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,031 Posts

Great ride back home from work today, birds twittering and sun out and a tropical 11 degree, plus I finished early - so I took the LONG way home.

When I got home I noticed the chicken strips were none existant on rights and Significant on lefts. I thought of thE way I had come (an extra 30 miles) and I would say there were approx the same lefts as rights!

Think of the cross section of an average road. High central crown, with the road falling either side so that water sheds off the edges into the gulleys or ditches. Now picture yourself going round a right hand corner, your tyre will be a little further over than when you go round a left hander.

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts

Everybody naturally corners harder in one direction more than the other, look at you car tyres i expect they will show the same thing. Some people are harder to the left some are harder to the right

·
Tenacious Member
1,435 Posts
Everybody naturally corners harder in one direction more than the other, look at you car tyres i expect they will show the same thing. Some people are harder to the left some are harder to the right
True, and often related to whether you are left or right handed. Most people are more comfortable leaning to the opposite side - part of the natural tendency to fall to the side you can most afford to lose the use of!

·
luddite
1,814 Posts
wow, this is going to bring a whole new meaning to "does sir dress to the left or the right...?"

:D

I think Yen's explanation is the best one. Other thing I thought of is that ALL roundabouts are right handers (unless you live over here of course)

no, actually belay that, a roundabout would be only be more right than left if you went all the way round...:(

·
My Blue Beast
756 Posts
True, and often related to whether you are left or right handed. Most people are more comfortable leaning to the opposite side - part of the natural tendency to fall to the side you can most afford to lose the use of!
how very true !

·
Tropical Member
2,037 Posts
May I suggest you take a small used razor blade and shave off all the strips both sides of your tyres......no more conundrum........worked for me.:D

·
Registered
256 Posts
If this is true, then explain this one..... I'm right handed and footed, yet when riding my Alp I favour right handers rather then left handers..... BUT, when I used to ride my Gillera DNA 125, it was the opposite...:confused::confused: Please explain this one to me... Cos I'm confused....:confused::confused::confused:

Titch:happy6:

·
Tenacious Member
1,435 Posts
If this is true, then explain this one..... I'm right handed and footed, yet when riding my Alp I favour right handers rather then left handers..... BUT, when I used to ride my Gillera DNA 125, it was the opposite...:confused::confused: Please explain this one to me... Cos I'm confused....:confused::confused::confused:

Titch:happy6:
Titch. you are the exception!

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,031 Posts
wow, this is going to bring a whole new meaning to "does sir dress to the left or the right...?"

:D

I think Yen's explanation is the best one. Other thing I thought of is that ALL roundabouts are right handers (unless you live over here of course)

no, actually belay that, a roundabout would be only be more right than left if you went all the way round...:(
You should be able to prove it, you ride on the right so it should be the opposite way round for you. Unless you are a fanatical leaner of course!:toothy7:

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,031 Posts
I have been called many things, Yen, but never a "fanatical leaner"...:eek:
It probably sounds more romantic in French.:p

·
Truffle shuffle king
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Interesting. The camber idea sounds feasible. Ok so anyone on the forum that drives on the right side can confirm more chicken strips for right handed?

I also wonder if it is that i am slower on lefts.... On the basis that if you come in hot you will be into the traffic comeing towards you... Not good i am told.
Right handers would head you off into the field or bushes... Less death?
What I am not going to do is look at th speedo to confirm this on all my corners.

One other thought is that I carry my loose change in my right pocket and sometimes this can be as much as £2.50 in loose change therefore I am heavier on the right and tend to lean more!

Any more thoughts ?

·
Austin's Son
190 Posts
Do chicken strips really matter, even if they are uneven. Heck I have even had a centre line of used tyre, a bit of none used and then more used tyre then the chicken strip. Almost like a double chicken strip.

Chicken strips are only good for having competition with your mates, otherwise ignore them and just keep riding.

·
Truffle shuffle king
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Do chicken strips really matter, even if they are uneven. Heck I have even had a centre line of used tyre, a bit of none used and then more used tyre then the chicken strip. Almost like a double chicken strip.

Chicken strips are only good for having competition with your mates, otherwise ignore them and just keep riding.
I am not precious about chicken strips nore do I feel lesser of a man for
it (presume smaller in this case would make me
more of a man) I was more intrigued by the fact they were not symetrical and why. :)

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Not sure I follow the argument about camber causing uneven chicken strips for two reasons:

1. outside of cities I think most bends have favourable cambers, i.e. right hand bends have cambers that fall away to the right;
2. one adjusts one's cornering forces to match the camber anyway, whether it is favourable or adverse.

When cornering I consider the angles in relation to the road surface, not in relation to absolute vertical/horizontal. If the road has an adverse camber I take the corner less quickly; if it has a favourable camber I take the corner faster. The tyre/surface angle remains almost* the same regardless of camber. (Think of the cornering vectors in relation to the road surface, i.e. one in parallel to the surface and the other perpendicular to the surface.)

As jasonbc says, most people simply have an aptitude for one side over the other. In my case I'm used to taking roundabouts hard (when it's safe!!!) because there's no on-coming traffice and the run-out area is wide; hence like you I have a slight preference for right-hand bends. I know others who prefer left-hand bends.

(* Physicists among you will recognise that the vectors are skewed by gravity, so the maximum tyre/surface angle will change slightly depending in camber, however the differences are small.)

·
No Going Back
84 Posts
I think you hit the nail on the head with your cornering speeds theory, It is a nautral survival instinct that makes you more wary of crossing the white line and colliding with on coming traffic, So don't bother looking at your speed on corners, just look through the corner to the exit and keep looking forward.

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
All i know is that i don't care about the chicken strips or how fast i go round corners when i'm on the tarmac as long it stays rubber side on the deck

1 - 19 of 19 Posts