Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As it said in the title, "Odd rattle, comes and goes".

It stays at the same fairly loud noise level and speed, revving the engine or pulling the clutch in, or any other combination of things does nothing. This happens occasionaly and usualy when she gets hot. It is loudest on the front cylinder on the nearside of the bike, Somewhere under the tank.

I thought it may be perhaps a cam chain tensioner with a sticking problem? Does this sound familiar?
Maybe the carbs are out of balance, she does "pop" alot on the overrun?

Water levels are fine and clean with antifreeze,
Oil and filter done 500 miles ago.
plugs changed 500 miles ago.

A shot in the dark, a big question mark, oh its a mystery, oh its a mystery. :confused::confused::confused::confused:

·
Nexus 6
1,320 Posts
Mmmmm,

I had an odd noise on mine for the last few days - I even swapped helmets to make sure it wasnt a loose vent on the lid but it was still there so I checked eveything I could think of then I found it - the battery cover screw had come out and the cover was flapping about - noise cured! The last time I had a rattle (other than the front sprocket on the very worn splines) I searched everywhere and it ended up being a cracked side panel flappin in the breeze........

Nt much help I know but these rattle squeak things could be aalmost anything......... Theres not much under the tank in that area so tappets, (might explain why it comes on with heat?)? a sheared rad mount bolt maybe? Loose rad stone guard? I'm sure you've already checked most of those though eh?.............

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes done all that stageonesimmo. Going to take a screwdriver out tomorrow and when it starts I will listen to the engine and various areas to see if I can locate the sound. I'll take a roll of Gaffa and some cable ties too in case a quick fix can be found at the roadside.

Incedently, have you, or indeed anyone else had to do a cam chain replacement at 48K? This sounds a little low for the entire cam chain so maybee just the tensioner assy? Looking at a fiche and I suspect that the spring may be the culprit. (wild guess, it looks like the weakest link).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts