Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All ,

Just a quick question .

I am about to order a fuel pump repair kit from Wemoto. The kit is for a OEM pump...

I have been told by a friend that my fuel pump is original but there is a Mitsubishi logo on the back.

Is the Honda OEM fuel pump a Mitsubishi fuel pump?

89 XRV 650 - 50,000km

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes that is what I am going to order . The pump has a relay installed and hasn't had issue for 50k with the "original pump"
The contact breakers will be just fine if the pump does fail on my trip :)

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes the OEM pump is made by Mitsubishi !

The part number for the fuel pump in the Atrica Twin is 16710-MAH-305.

There are dozens of OEM fuel pumps for the Africa Twin on eBay but take a look at this one.
Honda New Fuel Pump VT1100 Shadow 1100 VT1100C VT1100C3 VT1100T 16710 mAh 305 | eBay

This is a Brand New Genuine Honda Fuel Pump Assembly made by Mitsubishi for the Honda bikes listed below. It is in excellent condition. Part number is 16710-MAH-305.[h=1][/h]

·
Registered
755 Posts
I replaced the points at I guess around 45 thou miles, partly to try and eliminate some fuel and/or eleccy probs that I was having, and partly 'cause I'd read and seen a couple of reports that around the 50k miles mark then it's sort of a recommended service item change :)

Here's what the OEM ones were like at 45 thou:

2015-03-31 21.26.17.jpg

and here's the new ones, half an hour with some basic soldering and a fine-tip screwdriver ;)

2015-04-04 20.58.53.jpg

It was working OK even with the points being, erm, a bit worn; but I'm happy I replaced 'em when I did :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
All depends how "original" you want?

If you want it to only "look original" I've bought two of these in the past and they worked perfectly well, and the price makes it look like we're being well overcharged for the contact breaker sets!!

Male Fuel Pump Assembly Honda CBR600F CBR 600 F F2 F3 F4 1986-2000 86 87 88 89 | eBay

:thumbup:
I have seen these before on eBay , you can even get them for €17.
I think it's always a bad sign when it comes from China tho..

How did you find it? What millage did you get from one?

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
Ahhhh yes, the old "bad from China" worry! Half of everything in the world is made in China. BMW, VW and other manufacturers all source components from China, so don't let that put you off.

I fitted one to an RD03 which went to Italy and back, France and back, and had plenty of miles on it. The other was fitted to an RD04 which I have since sold, but run perfectly. They even come with a new rubber mounting block.

:thumbup:

·
Registered
472 Posts
The fuel cut off relay was surely installed as original?

If you want to extend the life of the pump a diode is your best bet, esp with new points.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
any one ever hear of a Quinton hazel QFP171E fuel pump as fitted to rover cars . I read of someone who fit one on his carbed varadero 1000 and swears by them and I done a bit of a search and the varadero 1000 and Africa twin use the same pump . far more reliable than a Mitsubishi . he has put big miles on with it with no problems . :thumbup: available in motor factors no harm in ringing and getting a price . well they work on a varadero 1000 anyway not sure about it fitting on a Africa twin .

·
Registered
88 Posts
Keep the OEM pump and carefully remove the charred contacts. Buy a cheap relay and strip out it's contact points and press fit them into the pump. Good for another 50k kms and it cost you maybe 2quid and a few hours?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts