Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Now on a BMW R1100RS.
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's what I think I've got my head around so far in terms of where you can go off-road: We don't have greenlanes, er.... thats it...

So where do you lot go when you go trailing?

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Captain's Road down near St Mary's Loch is a right of way but I've heard the forestry management company have closed it to all motorised vehicles.. Not sure of the legality of this closure though as I would have though it would take more than a lhomemade sign on a post to legally close down a right of way.

Captain's Road

The other place in the area that looks promising is Silver Jubilee road just to the north of Fruid reservoir. I've never tried it but it would be worth a look.

Silver Jubilee Road

I guess there must be some accessible tracks nearer home and I went at the weekend and had a look at the one that heads from Knock Hill to Loch Glow. While the forrest track from the tar road to Loch Glow was accessible the longer section back to Knock Hill was gated and well overgrown and probably too much for me and the GSA.

Loch Glow to Knock Hill

I know of forest trails up near Strathyre that were open a few years back but I have no recent knowledge to confirm it that's still the case.

·
Now on a BMW R1100RS.
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Boris!

I'll have a look at the map links in more detail later. I knew there must be some routes around.

Knockhill is just 30 mins away from me, its a shame that ones overgrown. The SLR is a good bit lighter than the GSA but it's no scrambler! :D

I've been looking at all the recent ride reports and it's made me want to have a go, not the deep mud places yet...

I'll put some pics up tommorow of a part of my road into work, its pretty muddy and always wet, it's only 0.4 miles long though ;).

·
Now on a BMW R1100RS.
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here's the last part of the road into work.
Well it's hardly a trail ride but I guess it does a bit to improve my rubbish off-road skills :D.

Pic 1: It's very slippery when it's wet and this isn't helped by a rear Tourance with only 3mm of tread left. :rolleyes:

Pic 2: Ruts are really hard to ride through without binning it.

Pic 3: This the WORST part of the whole thing, underneath the water it's saturated mud with ruts in it produced by cars and big mowers. And the water comes up to your feet and soaks them...

Pic 4: It doesn't look that long but theres a good 15ft of puddle there.

So far I haven't crashed the SLR on that road :thumbright::thumbright::thumbright:

...Sadly the GPz was the subject of a 2mph crash in one of those ruts back in Feburary :mad:.

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Well I thought I'd take a spin down to St Mary's Loch as the little cafe is closing down today (but hopefully not for ever as they are looking for new tenants) and I took the opportunity to take a look at Silver Jubilee Road.

Silver Jubilee Road runs through the forest to the north (distant end in the photo below) of the Talla Reservoir via a single track road.

A turn to the left and the road turns to gravel and then a closed gate. Beyond the gate is gravel road with grass up the middle.

As the gate was shut (but not locked) I thought it would be prudent to have a look at the other end of the road as some of these tracks are pretty narrow and it's difficult if you are on your own to turn a heavy bike round.

The other end was gated and locked with a combination lock so it looks like we have a cul de sac on out hands.

It was pretty muddy and slippy after a couple of days rain so on reflection it would probably be better to wait till next year and not go single handed.

Earlier on in the week I was also up Strathyre way and one of the roads I was thinking off now also has a locked gate across it. The road was still doable but unless you were prepared to take the bike through the pedestrian gate it was another cul de sac and you would have to come out the way you came in.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I don't know the area very well but when I am on holliday I am allways on the lookout for detours if I were ever to return on the bike.
There is a track that starts by crossing an old bailey bridge that crosses the river Orchy, Glen Orchy. Looking at google earth and maps it looks like it may end at the great bridge of Orchy, passing over the hills.
I have walked the first part from each end and not come across any gates.
I could have ridden the length I walked but I dont know what the whole route is like.
I would welcome any information on the status and legality.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Hi,

We used to drive the Corrieyairack Pass aka General Wade's Military Road many years ago, between Laggan and Fort Augustus. This is a well famous route so having not seen it mentioned maybe it's not still open ? I know the end near to Fort Augustus was closed... worth looking into. See this link; hope it's of help

General Wades Military Road - ::. UKGSer.com .::

Cheers
Potski

·
Now on a BMW R1100RS.
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Silver Jubilee Road runs through the forest to the north (distant end in the photo below) of the Talla Reservoir via a single track road.

Looks to be quite picturesque there Boris, I like that sort of countryside.
Thats a shame there's a gate there, I wonder if it's there all year round? Anyway, even with that gate closed, is it still worth doing?

And as a side point I must say that your picture there is very well taken. :thumbright:

·
Now on a BMW R1100RS.
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't know the area very well but when I am on holliday I am allways on the lookout for detours if I were ever to return on the bike.
There is a track that starts by crossing an old bailey bridge that crosses the river Orchy, Glen Orchy. Looking at google earth and maps it looks like it may end at the great bridge of Orchy, passing over the hills.
I have walked the first part from each end and not come across any gates.
I could have ridden the length I walked but I dont know what the whole route is like.
I would welcome any information on the status and legality.
Any chance of a Google maps link?
I might be able to take a trundle over and inspect it by bike for you. :thumbup:

Hi,

We used to drive the Corrieyairack Pass aka General Wade's Military Road many years ago, between Laggan and Fort Augustus. This is a well famous route so having not seen it mentioned maybe it's not still open ? I know the end near to Fort Augustus was closed... worth looking into. See this link; hope it's of help

General Wades Military Road - ::. UKGSer.com .::

Cheers
Potski
I think I have heard of that one, I believe that if you have to ask the landowner nicely there isn't too much trouble getting on there.

It's quite far North, maybe more than a day inc. travelling there, riding the trail, and riding home again but we could maybe have an XRV trip up there in the future??? :thumbright:

I was hoping some that could be done in the Central/Mid-North area of Scotland so that they weren't too far away.
I will probably have a ride at the weekend and see if I can find any promising routes in the area.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts

·
Now on a BMW R1100RS.
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This is a Google maps link link to the Bailey bridge end that leads from the B8074.

B8074 - Google Maps

You can see the bridge from Google street view.

This is what I think is the other end.

Unknown road to B8074 - Google Maps

Attached is a picture of the bridge.
:thumbright:
That looks to be very promising indeed, and it's only an hour or two's drive away from Fife, I may be able to check that out in person at the weekend. :happy6:

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I've been looking at the OS mapping on this site.

OS GB Mapping by The Hug

They provide a really easy system of route planning and creating files that you can download onto GPS.

The OS map shows the link as a mountain bike trail.

PS If you are lucky enough to get there watch out for the deer, especially at dusk and into the night. But I guess you lot up there allready know that!

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Looks to be quite picturesque there Boris, I like that sort of countryside.
Thats a shame there's a gate there, I wonder if it's there all year round? Anyway, even with that gate closed, is it still worth doing?
Probably but it was pretty wet and boggy so might be prudent to leave it till next year just to be on the safe side. There may well be more gates but the wooden one was not locked.

And as a side point I must say that your picture there is very well taken. :thumbright:
Thanks.. But I wish I hadn't left my gloves on the tank though.

·
Now on a BMW R1100RS.
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've been looking at the OS mapping on this site.

OS GB Mapping by The Hug

They provide a really easy system of route planning and creating files that you can download onto GPS.

The OS map shows the link as a mountain bike trail.

PS If you are lucky enough to get there watch out for the deer, especially at dusk and into the night. But I guess you lot up there allready know that!
Thanks for the link Traveller! That seems to be a handy website.

I checked how long the journey there would take me on Google Maps and it's just a shade over 2 hours, so I may well do that at the weekend.

PS. I hadn't thought about the deer, I'll try to avoid them! :thumbup:

·
Now on a BMW R1100RS.
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks.. But I wish I hadn't left my gloves on the tank though.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing. ;)

I quite enjoy a bit of photo-snapping/vid-making myself and appreciate that's a good photo.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I was kindly sent (by an xrv member) a load of 'pictures' of maps showing trails in Scotland a few months ago, i still have them in a folder on my pc and have just put 1 of them on photobucket for you to decide if they are usefull to you or not?

he allegedly bought them from a trailriding company that went bust a good few years ago and each has a 'legend' with details of the route length, difficulty etc etc

I have no idea if they are usefull but i suspect it will feel akin to finding the Holy Grail to you Scots

I can upload the rest to my photobucket folder if anyone wants me to?

ian

·
Now on a BMW R1100RS.
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I was kindly sent (by an xrv member) a load of 'pictures' of maps showing trails in Scotland a few months ago, i still have them in a folder on my pc and have just put 1 of them on photobucket for you to decide if they are usefull to you or not?
Wow! That looks awesome Ian! :toothy7:
I'll have a close look at the map and try to find it on google maps. How many have you got there?

And yes, you may well have found the holy grail of Scot trail routes. :thumbright:

·
Now on a BMW R1100RS.
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I've already uploaded 30 maps:thumbup:
:toothy8::toothy8::toothy8:
Got a link to them there Ian?
I'm afraid I won't be able to check them out tonight :( as I have work early tommorow but I will as SOON as I possible :thumb:

·
Hill Rider
3,070 Posts
We used to drive the Corrieyairack Pass aka General Wade's Military Road many years ago, between Laggan and Fort Augustus. This is a well famous route so having not seen it mentioned maybe it's not still open ? I know the end near to Fort Augustus was closed...
Unfortunatly the end at Laggan now has a locked gate blocking access, even too the bothy - check out this thread - 3rd picture shows a yellow gate in the distance
http://www.xrv.org.uk/forums/ride-reports-pictures/48316-words-james-may-oh-c-ck.html

I've got a copy of some of the maps from the off road company courtesy of afk40 of this site - mainly ones for the north-east of Scotland. I've looked at a couple of them and they all had closed & locked gates.

Locally I've tended to use the theory that if a gates openable, I'll take a look up the track. Not had a problem yet, but there is always a first time.

Steve T

:cool:

1 - 20 of 45 Posts