Honda XRV Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Now on a BMW R1100RS.
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I've been looking through scotsys pics, many of them are over Fort Augustas / William area, so they aren't ideal for a day trip, good for a wee tour up that way though.

Of the ones which are a bit more central, I have spotted one called "Glen Tilt" which is apparently just up the road from Pitlochry. Also I think there is one or two others which are south of Aberdeen.

I haven't had time to try Traveller's Glen Orchy one this weekend, but that is on the cards.

& Thank you for the pics scotsy, I'll try that one out in the next few weeks :thumbup:

·
Registered
135 Posts
Don't need any thanks dave, i was given them by one of your members but please bear in mind that any or all of these routes may be illegal or even blocked off by now. Would be nice if you find out they are open though and let me know:thumbup:

·
Now on a BMW R1100RS.
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Don't need any thanks dave, i was given them by one of your members but please bear in mind that any or all of these routes may be illegal or even blocked off by now. Would be nice if you find out they are open though and let me know:thumbup:
I will do my best ;) if we could get some of North crew to go and try the upper ones that would be handy.

Like Mr.Rick in Skye... :D and theres a few others up there I think.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Scotsy, an Gpz dave. I`m that Man... an i still have all the maps... i bought them from a company that was goin out the game... they were called Skye motorcycle tours.... they used these maps to accompany people out on their serrow 225cc bikes....... i paid good money for these at the time,,,, but Dave, as yer in Fife,, am in Motherwell not TOO far,, maybe sometimes we could meet, i can show ye them or even give references to Google them,,,, whitever,,,,,, ive been up a few trails around strathyre... theres one up thru Forrestry straight across fae the entrance to the caravan site that being on the left comming from callander... also ye kin enter it by the Kingshouse hotel,, thru strathyre on yer right........ ave also been up in Balquidder,, jist look around they are all there........ mind,, dont go anywhere without good snippers.......lol...I hate fences...ave been up them on a xt660R, they are all just tracks......... ive done the general wades road fae Kinlockleven tae ben nevis 3 times now.. once on a dommi... twice on a xtX supermoto,, its part o the west highland way...theres no gates on that part, 12 miles... but in there they are some Rock steps,,, but I mangaed them......... ma pal was on a KLE 500... looking forward tae the better weather so as a kin get out there an explore.........

·
Now on a BMW R1100RS.
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Hey afk40, they're some awesome pictures there! Just the sort of thing I had in mind, nice trails through braw scenery. If you're thinking of heading up to try some routes in the warmer weather why not post a thread and I'll see if I can come along, and get as many as we can I reckon quite a few would be up for it. :thumb:

·
Now on a BMW R1100RS.
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
And I believe there's a rally track by Glenfarg, I believe it's a public road through the woods. I'll be checking that out soon, I'll take a video camera with me. :)

·
Registered
689 Posts
Dave,, that road thru the hills is the track fae Kinlochleven tae Ben nevis, its part o the west highland way, ave done it 3 times now.......... but am looking fur more stuff,, let me know if ye know any tracks... in the better weather a`1l gie ye a shout,, an we may go a few places........ theres a mountain o stuff around strathyre, balquidder.

·
Registered
689 Posts
How do i get my pics to be sen actualy on the page rather than the name o the picture, then ye have to click it to open it,,,, how can i get ma pics straight on the thread

·
Now on a BMW R1100RS.
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
How do i get my pics to be sen actualy on the page rather than the name o the picture, then ye have to click it to open it,,,, how can i get ma pics straight on the thread
I don't know pal I've not tried it with the new forum layout yet. Someone will come along who knows no doubt.

·
Registered
49 Posts
gpzDave

I'm in Dundee and may be up for a run about the area if your out and about for Glenfarg or Knockhill etc. My availability is usually very good during the week, but not the weekend. The only other limit is the poxy tank range on my XR650.

Scotty597

·
Now on a BMW R1100RS.
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
gpzDave

I'm in Dundee and may be up for a run about the area if your out and about for Glenfarg or Knockhill etc. My availability is usually very good during the week, but not the weekend. The only other limit is the poxy tank range on my XR650.

Scotty597
Hi Scotty,

That would be great pal, and it would be nice to get a bit of offroading in the run. Sadly I still haven't come across a route which is as good as the mystical 'greenlanes' that the southerners have... I haven't tried the Glenfarg one yet but on Google maps it looks like it may lead to a farm and go no furthur, I can't be sure. Do you know of any? If not we could always try some tracks and see where they go :D

·
Registered
49 Posts
gpzDave,

Looked at the OS map around North East Fife. There are loads of "roads" and tracks, which probably are fine under the roads scotland act. Some start at farms, which wouldnt be good. Two I'm thinking of now are Pitmedan Forest near Muchty. There are forest tracks and fire breaks etc. The other is on the banks of the Tay. It goes from Balmerino to Newburgh ish. I';ve been on part of that about 10yrs ago so dont know what its like now. There is another that leads up to Kinoul hill by Perth. I think as long as your not on a noisy 2 stroke terrorising the world it may be ok. Will do some more digging. The application of legal or not comes under the definition of the roads scotland act so as long as its not private land and this rule applies its fair game. Where are you located?

·
Now on a BMW R1100RS.
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #36 (Edited)
Good job! That sounds very promising, much more so than what I've found so far. By the way I'm in Glenrothes so quite close to you and I think those routes you have down there should be in easy reach. In terms of legality I think we would be fine in most places, I think with road registered bikes we would be allowed to go pretty much anywhere. And I believe in Scotland there is no trespass law, as long as you leave the place you visited as you found it and are not asked to leave by the landowner. I'm going to have a closer look at those routes you have there on Google maps the now. :)

·
Now on a BMW R1100RS.
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Yes they look good! But Pitmedan Forest isn't coming up on Google maps at all... Where about is it?

·
Registered
49 Posts
As far as offences go the definition of a road in scotland applies to all legislation. "Any way other than a waterway over which there is a public right or passage by any means and includes any bridge over which or tunnel through a road passes. The definition also includes the roads verge". Road' therefore generally include footpaths, bridle-ways and cycle tracks and many roadways and driveways on private land (including many car parks). In most cases, the law will apply to them and there may be additional rules for particular paths or ways. If this doesn't apply then you get done with riding other than on a road, Road Traffic Act 1988.

The forestry commission also have their own bye laws which can be used if there is a problem.

I'll do some more digging. Up for a try at the end of MArch orApril? My availability is good during the week 9-5 ish. Weekends are a none starter though. It is usually quieter at these times for dog walkers etc.

·
Now on a BMW R1100RS.
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I'll do some more digging. Up for a try at the end of MArch orApril? My availability is good during the week 9-5 ish. Weekends are a none starter though. It is usually quieter at these times for dog walkers etc.
Yes the end of March would be good, but typically I work all week and I'm off on the weekends! :rolleyes: But I should be able to get a day off, I'll shuffle my hours around a bit. Maybe a Tuesday or Wednesday would be good for me. If we can think of some routes to try then we could post a thread in Meet-ups section, I think that there are a few other XRVers around here who would like to try out some tracks.

How about the 29th/30th March?

By the way I'm keeping on the lookout for trails around here too.

·
Registered
49 Posts
29th and or 30th March is good for me. Once we scope some roots, perhaps up the Sidlaws or further from dog walkers a meet would be good. Even Pitmedan if we can get a route from there through to Newburgh area, that would be long enough and out of the way.

Found these sites whilst roaming. http://www.heritagepaths.co.uk/mapsearch.php and http://www.scotways.com/. Although aimed at walkers they do have the old roads which are navigable. There are some around the Newburgh and Muchty areas which may be worth a tie in for the day or days out. Some clearly arent doable due to gates and fences. Will be worth looking for those dates and link a few in. There are some further afield which are worth a look later. The legality issue does raise its head as the right to roam doesnt cover motorised vehicles. The general feel is stay away from anyone as much as possible, respect the land and dont go radge.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts