Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
..next week! Ferry to Santander then back up through Pamplona, Lourdes Oradour-sur-Glane etc. 8)

greased my axles last night, and checked the chain tension-as always, my chain seems to be either just too loose or just too tight-set it just too loose, as I will be riding with luggage.

Before I pack, the question is, what 2 items are essential, but not obvious :?:

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,036 Posts
HelmetHair said:
..next week! Ferry to Santander then back up through Pamplona, Lourdes Oradour-sur-Glane etc. 8)

greased my axles last night, and checked the chain tension-as always, my chain seems to be either just too loose or just too tight-set it just too loose, as I will be riding with luggage.

Remember that you must put what you want with you on the ferry in the bag you carry up the large amount of stairs as the bike will be locked to passengers whilst at sea. I forgot seasickness/headache tablets and had to buy them in the shop at their huge captive audience prices.

·
Registered
78 Posts
cool - when are you off? we are on the portsmouth - bilbao next weds eve, get in on the morning of the 2nd june. Away for a month or so, but could meet up for a day or two?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
By 2nd June we will be well on our way back up through France-shame-an overseas rideout would have been fun.

One thing we may need-a bucket to bail out water...just read that the boat that does the route, the Pont-Aven, was hit by a monster wave and is only due to sail again on Friday!

·
Registered
78 Posts
shame indeed - have a blast anyway and mind those monster waves - they spill your pint! :D

S

·
0 Posts
HelmetHair said:

I'd go for foot powder and Imodium :oops: :wink:

·
Pleb
1,792 Posts
HelmetHair said:
..Oradour-sur-Glane etc. 8)

what 2 items are essential, but not obvious :?:
OSG is well worth a stop - Nazi B$st$rds.

The church will hit you - over 400 women and children machine gunned/grenaded - and there's still an old pram & bullet holes.
Take a hanky.
Each building states the original occupants and it's an amazing snapshot of what happened within hours of D- Day which makes it all the more shocking.

On a practicle front they provide lockers for bike kit and recorded English commentary. I don't know of anywhere else you can walk in an area as it appeared in 1944 - apart from the Lagers (concentration camps).

I made a point of seeing OSG in 2004 after reading about it years earlier and it was worth it.

Nazi B****ds.

........Make a great Weissbier and designed a great uniform though.

As for 2 items:
Bottle opener
Flip-flops - get out of those boots and let the steam out fast!

I've used the Pont Aven. Aside from being a bit wet recently it is a luxury compared to the usual cross channel shite - make sure you're in a cabin on deck 5 or 6, not the 4 berths under the car deck or you'll never sleep thinking about 40' waves!

Have a great trip/Bon chance/Dobraya Poezdka!

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
Recycler said:
HelmetHair said:
..Oradour-sur-Glane etc. 8)

what 2 items are essential, but not obvious :?:
OSG is well worth a stop - Nazi B$st$rds.

The church will hit you - over 400 women and children machine gunned/grenaded - and there's still an old pram & bullet holes.
Take a hanky.
Each building states the original occupants and it's an amazing snapshot of what happened within hours of D- Day which makes it all the more shocking.

On a practicle front they provide lockers for bike kit and recorded English commentary. I don't know of anywhere else you can walk in an area as it appeared in 1944 - apart from the Lagers (concentration camps).

I made a point of seeing OSG in 2004 after reading about it years earlier and it was worth it.

Nazi B****ds.

........Make a great Weissbier and designed a great uniform though.

As for 2 items:
Bottle opener
Flip-flops - get out of those boots and let the steam out fast!

I've used the Pont Aven. Aside from being a bit wet recently it is a luxury compared to the usual cross channel sh*te - make sure you're in a cabin on deck 5 or 6, not the 4 berths under the car deck or you'll never sleep thinking about 40' waves!

Have a great trip/Bon chance/Dobraya Poezdka!
Where's OSG, sound's like a place I'd "like" to visit for a reality check, easy to forget the crappy times that have gone by.

Phil

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
would be interested in a bit more info too as I alway like to pay my respects to the folk who's sacrifices now allow us the life style we have

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
I alway like to pay my respects to the folk who's sacrifices now allow us the life style we have
Yeah, without their sacrifices our motorbiking world would be dominated by the Japs and Germans..... er, hang on a minute.

·
Grand Moule
234 Posts
Type oradour into google, there are shed loads of info.
Very moving place, been a few times and havnt heard a bird sing :cry: a very very sombre place, if your coming up the A20 / N20, pop in for a brew we live at Souillac

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks for tips!
Will be wearing my xrv top, and will provide tirp report/photos on return..
Wobblemonster-PM me your telephone number, and if we pass through Souillac we'll give you a call! :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts