Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just cleaned the accumulated winter crappage off the @ and found this nasty on the rear wheel.

Ooooh-er..jpg

Is this what I think it is? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
yes....:( if you change the tyre, don't look on the inside (you'll cry). so, £200 for a new rim, £80 for s/s spokes & labour (new rim deserves it), & might as well powder-coat the hub while you're at it £20. scarey...innit.

Reactions: Martin H

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is scary as I've just finished cleaning the front one and found a blister on that. Oh well might as well go the whole hog and look at getting some nice Excel rims or similar. Any recomendations for wheel builders? :(

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
too far for you maybe? postage worth it? guy in colne. cost me 150 for f/r rims inc s/s spokes. Semi retired wheelwright. got his number on old phone somewhere.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you could find the phone number I would be forever in your debt and will buy you copious amounts of alcohol. Well maybe just be in your debt.:D

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi, I know that a lot of people get their hubs powder coated as have I, but when I was getting Hagons to rebuild the SFX wheels (all of the spokes were bent), they said that it isn't a good idea to powder coat as the thickness can throw discs out of line?I am a total numpty about such things so I can only quote Hagons. A good thing about Hagons is that you can speak to the main wheel builder direct, if you have any queries.:thumbup:

·
Nexus 6
1,320 Posts
You can file the powder coating off the disc lugs easily enough - I know 'cos my front hub was poweder coated when my front wheel was re-built and its fine.

That wheel may not be complete toast yet - you'll need to take the tyre off to be sure, but to be honest, mine was just like that on the outside and it was a right horror show inside - scary in fact! :eek: But, dont start to shell out loads of cash just yet - get the tyre and tube and rim tape off and be sure first...........

Bri

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
powder coating... hmm, you shouldn't really. They say the bearing housing expands ever so slightly & doesn't 100% shrink back to original size. BUT... THEY LOOK DARN PRETTY WHEN YOU COLLECT THEM.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Sorry for jumping in on your thread but I didn't want to start a new one for a subject close to your.

I was wondering if any rim with 36 spokes can fit the at hub?

I have a old Suzuki RM 250 wheel in the garage and it has 36 spokes and 18 inch. Would it fit?
Would be nice to have 18 on the winter tires.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Not quite as bad as my front one was :/

2013-07-15202318_zps7a6ee535.jpg

50% of the rim was as bad, if not worse...
Got a used one off Ebay for 70 quid though, so it's always worth a look over there (the front is interchangeable between RD04's and RD07's but the rear is model specific so check before you bid).
Hope you get it sorted soonest mate :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. I'm a bit concerned because the previous owner had new Michelins fitted just before I bought it in November. I would have thought if the inside of the rim was in a mess the tyre fitter (Bike shop job) would've noticed and mentioned it. But I will remove tyre etc and check. Not using the bike at the mo anyways. :)

·
Registered
694 Posts
You can file the powder coating off the disc lugs easily enough - I know 'cos my front hub was poweder coated when my front wheel was re-built and its fine.

That wheel may not be complete toast yet - you'll need to take the tyre off to be sure, but to be honest, mine was just like that on the outside and it was a right horror show inside - scary in fact! :eek: But, dont start to shell out loads of cash just yet - get the tyre and tube and rim tape off and be sure first...........

Bri
As ive got that exact problem now :( when i got the bike a little over 12 months ago i had both the rims and hubs powder coated and put the discs back on. Now the discs are toast the metal under the coating has turned to powder so the disc wont run true.

The wheel is going to the machinist next week for the pads the be skimmed both sides then ive got to play with the offset of the caliper brackets ;)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I got so peed off with the @ (And slightly tipsy) I went and bought this last night.

2.JPG

The @ is on the naughty step until I decide what to do with her. :/

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
I did the same and bought a GS1150 and missed my Africa Queen so much I cried and bought another :D

·
Commuter Extraordinaire
525 Posts
Yep, wheel rot is to be expected after a while....my own @'s wheels are currently being re-rimmed & re-spoked at CWC after some 12 yrs/50k miles. The hubs were in good order due to always being covered in spray grease and aren't therefore being powdercoated.
That looks to be a nice, clean GS....I do like the old 1150's a lot.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Number is 01282 616167
01282 616167 Bruce Rushton
Excellent, thank you. :)

Call
Send SMS
Add to Skype
You'll need Skype CreditFree via Skype

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just had a look at the Excel rims on Rugged Roads website. They only do the rear in a 3.50 or 4.25 x 17 am I still OK to use the 140/80 tyre with a 3.50 rim or am I going to have to up the size 150 - 160?

·
Stone Crazy
5,316 Posts
Hi, I know that a lot of people get their hubs powder coated as have I, but when I was getting Hagons to rebuild the SFX wheels (all of the spokes were bent), they said that it isn't a good idea to powder coat as the thickness can throw discs out of line?I am a total numpty about such things so I can only quote Hagons. A good thing about Hagons is that you can speak to the main wheel builder direct, if you have any queries.:thumbup:
Oh no never ever powdercoat the disc mounting surface, make sure they mask that , or remove the coating before fitting disc

1 - 20 of 21 Posts