Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Michelin Anakee 2 needs replacing on the rear, phoned up to order one today and low and behold they can only get the Anakee 3 which I don't really fancy. Is the Tourance a good match for the Anakee 2 and will it be ok with the Anakee 2 front (as there is plenty of life left in that) or is there a better match.

Cheers Mike

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Hopefully some one will be along shortly

I wouldn't know Mike as I only like knobblies

There's far too much grip on road biased tyres for me - I like it loose!

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok cheers Paul:thumbup:

·
Deer Dodger
3,199 Posts
Mike,

I had the same "issue", been running Anakee 2's for some time, just didn't like the road based 3's. Went for Conti Escapes in the end, seem ok so far, but due to brake issues etc, I haven't really given them a proper blast either on road or off road :mad: , but the pattern did it for me, far more off road biased than the 3's

oh, I am currently on Anakkee 2's on the front and Conti's on the rear, seem ok so far !!! I'll let you know after the Ardnamurchan soiree with ADVScotland next weekend.:thumbup:

·
Registered
525 Posts
I have just fitted a Mitas E-08 to the rear today,£55 delivered in 3 days from Oponeo.Haven't had a chance to ride the bike since fitting but it looks a good tyre with an excellent tread pattern,i have the same make/model on the front and find that a good tyre.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm running Tourance and they are great on the road but hopeless off of it.

They'll get by on flat hard packed trails (as almost anything will) but any hint of mud and grip just disappears and forget going up hill on loose gravel.

Sent from my HTC One mini using Tapatalk

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As anyone tried anakee 3s on an @
Good point they may be the dogs danglies but they do look more road biased than th 2's

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I have tkc80s on mine and on dirt hard to beat on the road they are better than you can imagine only fault is tyre wear if you can cope with changing at 2500mile worth a try. Im going to need a new rear soon but dont want to pay nearly 100 for another TKC but they look brilliant on the bike.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I have tkc80s on mine and on dirt hard to beat on the road they are better than you can imagine only fault is tyre wear if you can cope with changing at 2500mile worth a try. Im going to need a new rear soon but dont want to pay nearly 100 for another TKC but they look brilliant on the bike.
+1 mate, mine came with 2 brand new ones on it; all I've done so far is a couple of hundred A and B road miles but they're as grippy as a very grippy thing! They also look sweet ;) But yes, I'm noticing rear wear after just a couple of hundred miles...

·
Registered
72 Posts
Ayup Ian, done about 1800 miles on Anakee 3s they feel very smooth and grip well, the bike rolls over easy in corners, there is no vaugeness on the front when pushing hard. Much better than the Anakee 2s. Will call and you can have a go. Ray

·
Registered
52 Posts
As anyone tried anakee 3s on an @
Yep, me, and I want my Anakee 2's back!

The back end's OK (a couple of little fishtail incidents leaving roundabouts in the wet), but the front...oh, the front. A friend who runs a race team fitted them for me, and had a hell of a job doing the front. So much of a job that he had to admit defeat, he could not get the front to pop evenly into the rim properly. We banged, swore, begged, pleaded, put air in/out, shook it all about, but it just didn't want to go the last few mm and sit properly.

We put it down to a damaged inner tube and next morning I took the wheel, tyre and new inner tube to the pro workshop in town. Half an hour later they came back and told me they were having problems getting it seated, could I come back in a couple of hours, they were leaving it somewhere very warm in the hope that the steel band would expand (!)

I duly returned and it was better than my mate's efforts, but not by a lot. Explaining that I was heading off to France the next day, I stressed the importance of it being right, I didn't want to be messing about with a ferry to catch. "It's a few mm out, but it will bed in when you take it out, you won't even feel it plop in". OK, fine.

I set off for France and, of course, the bike was loaded, so I didn't have chance to scrub the tyres in, I just took it steady. It didn't feel right, but not horrific. I had a boat to catch, so soldiered on. Torrential rain distracted me from how the bike felt, too busy trying to see further than my hand in front of my face, and I was soon in France. On the long straight roads, that's when I began to focus on the front - the regular bump of an irregular tyre. I can't say whether it got worse, or whether I just had no other distractions, but it was causing me some serious concerns, bump bump bump. I had my GoPro on and the footage looks like I'm on a horse, up and down, at about 45mph!

It got to the point I actually mailed Michelin to ask WTF was happening. To be fair, their UK "2-Wheel Dept" guy mailed straight back with some fitting tips, but after a semi-pro and then a pro tyre fitter attempt to fit it, I'm hardly going to do anything about it on a camp site!

Then it stopped. I think. I was half way to the South of France, and the bump must have receded to such a degree that I stopped worrying about it. Once or twice, I could feel it, but then again, maybe it was only because I was thinking about it?

As with anything of this sort, once I have a problem with it, the seed is sown, I'm always going to have it in the back of my mind. I'll be putting some new boots on the bike as soon as I can.

It seems there are quite a few reports of these A3s being stiff and difficult to put on. I pity anyone who thinks they are going to repair a puncture out in the middle of nowhere.

(Yes, and I realise that deciding to put a pair of new tyres on 48 hours before going on hols isn't exactly good forward planning, but meh...)

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Thanks rdonson will do and have decided after long hours of thought to go for the Continental Trail Attack 2s from My-Tyres £150 fornt and rear wanted to stay on the TK80s but only 3000 miles is not enough will update when I have tried them.

Extremist It seems there are quite a few reports of these A3s being stiff and difficult to put on. I pity anyone who thinks they are going to repair a puncture out in the middle of nowhere.
When I got my A3 fitted on old bike, guy at the motorcycle tyre fitter said it was the hardest tyre he had ever put on that was a front lol

·
Registered
341 Posts
Hi!

I am running K60 Scout rear and TKC80 front. I am soonish to replace them, and I am already at a new personal record mileage:
Rear: 14500km (9009 miles)
Front: 18500km (11495 miles)

And still not down to the wear marks :) I think I get easily get 2-3000 km more from both, although offroad traction is long gone now.

About 70% of this distance was done with heavy luggage on tarmac.

I am never buying anything else as long as these are for sale :) You can get them cheap from Delticom in Germany.

PS! The secret to low wear is high pressure on tarmac, which drastically reduces heat. I run mine at 45 PSI on tarmac.

·
Born to Slide
1,741 Posts
45psi is way way too much

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
341 Posts
45psi is way way too much
It's way way too much for offroad, or racing in the rain. But for cruising my way to where I'm going under everyday conditions, it works quite well. I've only done this for the last 35000km though, so I still need more data to be sure :)

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
My rear K60 Scout has squared off badly at 6,500mls. There is meat left on it, but it's squared off so badly I'm going to get some new tyres. Also I've noticed the front has worn more on one side than the other. I think I might replace with Tourance. I got nearly 10,000mls out of the last set. Now I've done the rear suspension bearing they should wear even better than the last lot.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Also I've noticed the front has worn more on one side than the other.
Do you drive on the left-hand side of the road? In that case I'm making a qualified guess that your tire is more worn on the right hand side. This has nothing to do with the quality of the tire itself, which you may not have meant to imply, of course :)

·
Administrator
1,784 Posts
Just my two-penn'orth! I have Anakee 3's on the Transalp. I like them:good handling, confident in the wet, and went much further than the previous Anakee 2s before squaring off (they need replacing now after more than 5000miles. ..rear. ...against about 3000 on the A2s) I'm impressed. ....but there again I'm not a tyre fitter :)

Sent from my GT-I8160 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 51 Posts