Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
I will wash it I promise!
2,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

in terms of oil for the venerable 1150 boxer, is it worth getting super-duper all singing all dancing oil or will any oil with the right numbers do?

are they fussy about their oils?

with the car i just use the whatever oil is cheap and has the right numbers on it!

can i do this with the RT?

thanks for advice

Z:D

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Many people recommend following the recommendations of the manual, and I have to agree.

Having said that, the BMs have a seperate engine and gearbox compartment so the motorcycle oil traits of lubing the engine and sheer-resistance amongst the gear cogs are less relevant. Also they are not high-revving so perhaps a car oil would be fine.... certainly cheaper... I confess to using Motul semi 10-40 in my 1150GS, when I owned it, so hardly a cheapo oil.

You could send Oilman a PM and ask him. He has posted a number of times on HUBB with good explanations why one oil suits and another not, all with no BS.

·
SHW'MAE BUTT
3,270 Posts
my GS 1150 had Harley Davison mineral oil in her on every service carried out by bmw dealers. dont buy the super synthetic stuff mineral oil is just the job.:thumbup:
One Tip change your final drive oil EP90. I changed mine every 4>5 thousand.

·
Registered
585 Posts
BMW has a dry clutch so car oil is fine. My mate runs his on Magnatec. I also recall that the drive shaft splines need greasing pretty regularly to stop premature wear. I may be wrong on thatthough so maybe some Beemer nutter can confirm. Regarding the brand of oil I cannot see any problem with supermarket or branded, as long as the api spec is correct and you change it regularly go for it.

·
I will wash it I promise!
2,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks guys - i knew that i had to get the numbers right but didn't know if was worth getting the super duper - will make sure that it's the right numbers and letters and leave it at that!

thanks again!

Z:D

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Car oil is fine.

I use 20/50 though as the engines do get a bit hot in town and would get too hot for 10/40. My first GSA had 10/40 in from new and you could really hear the engine rattling when it got hot and the oil turned to water.

·
geriatric
2,474 Posts
One Tip change your final drive oil EP90. I changed mine every 4>5 thousand.
vader does his every 4-5 thousand

pounds that is................................sorry couldn't resist

·
whys the rum always gone?
17,680 Posts
20/50 mineral oil as prescribed by doctor pussyhorse:thumbup::thumbup::D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts