Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
bike nut
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a xr600 which seems to be burning oil with small amounts of white smoke I am thinkin new piston and rings so can any one recommend some good suppliers think I want to keep standard bore and compression any advice would be great thanks

·
Registered
334 Posts
Hi Jamie.

One thing to try, when I bought mine the fella was using full syn oil and would use half the dip stick around every 200 -300 miles, in all my bike I have always used Morris's Multivis 10W40 semi syn oil ( Gold Can ), I was thinking of a rebore to sort out the problem, when I changed the oil and filter, it hasn't used a drop since, don't know if the fully syn is a little on the thin side for a big bore.

I wouldn't go with a 660 kit, read loads of people having hassle with really big bore kits, XR 600 std is quick enough for anyone off road.

Andrew

·
Red Blooded Biker
922 Posts
A 660 kit would need a new liner being pressed into the barrel as well as the top of the crankcase would need to be opened up to take the new sleeve.

I'd go for an oversize +0.5mm rebore using a Honda piston. They don't cost anything like a big bore kit does, you use standard gaskets & the boring would only need one pass of the boring bar to make the cut, then a hone for piston skirt clearance. I did this on my XL250SA & it worked a treat, & the oil consumption was negligible after running it in.

While the head is off, clean up the valves & lap them into the cleaned up head, using new valve guide seals etc.

·
bike nut
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
think i want to keep standard bore and compression, i want the bike for maximum reliability as i have a big trip planned!

so anything else i should replace while i am in there? any bearings? maybe a forged con-rod?

any more thoughts would be great thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
I was told a similar thing about using semi-synthetic oil when I had a Honda TLR 250 - although I don't know what facts were behind the comment.

Brad

·
Registered
285 Posts
My old dommie loved oil too, but when I put fully syn in, for feks sake it drank it like Murphys...

·
bike nut
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thing is, it is semi still

just from a different brand (motrex)

normally use putoline

got some fresh stuff to put in! will go for a ride tomorrow and see what happens......

·
bike nut
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well changed to the good ol' putoline

been for a few rides....

not a drop used!!!! :D

motrex and xr600 dont mix!!!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts