Honda XRV Forum banner

oil change mileage

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  j 
#1 ·
how often should the oil be changed on an xr 400, riding 60% on road(steady on country lanes ect) 40% off road- green lanes, every 1000 miles?? using mobil 1 15w 50

#3 ·
Re: oil change milage

Do mine at 1000 kms, but left the last one until 1000 mile (1600km) as the oil still looked good and a lot of those miles were road instead of wet bog runs:rolleyes: I read XRs are supposed to run on quality oil with least synthetic quality. I Use Guardian Rock oil and does just fine, but what I know about oil is diddlysquat:cool:

#4 ·

The rate mines drinking it at the moment i dont bother just keep topping it up, thought i cured it a few weeks ago when i fitted new valves seals and lapped the valves in. Now it can wait until August when i have time off to inspect the bore and rings, cant be much it still goes very well.

Before it started drinking oil i was about every 2-3 months on changes, I also use Rock Guardian in mine, but have also tried the Valvoline, putoline, and silkolene offroad which is just too expensive now Silkolene have put there prices up so much

Don't forget you have 3 filters on the XR to check when you change the oil

#5 ·

The rate mines drinking it at the moment i dont bother just keep topping it up,
You might want to do a proper change then, flush everything out and start with 100% fresh oil and filter, as now all the crap and degraded oil accumulates... Four times 500cc top-up does not equal 2 liters of fresh oil in the engine.

Might even take the edge off its drinking problem. ;-)

My dommie used to start boozin' whenever I left the oil change too long, no matter if I kept topping it up...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.