Honda XRV Forum banner

Oil change - seal washer quick?

5K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  Zenarchy 
#1 ·
I'm planning to get to halfords sometime today to pick up some oil and try an oil change (have a spare filter ready to go on as well) but I haven't done it before and not sure what condition the oil bolt seal washer will be in.

I know you're meant to replace these each time, but don't have any at the moment.

Does anyone know the sorts of places I'd be able to get one in a hurry (preferably open in the early evening or over the weekend if I can't get hold of one today), and any tips for what size/type to get. I've had a look in the haines book but can't seem to find the type/size of washer needed in the section explaining the oil change (unless I'm missing it).

Any ideas? I'm tempted to try doing it up using the washer thats there but I don't know what condition its in and can picture an oil slick when I refill the oil if I reuse it.

#2 ·
I know it's naughty but I've changed the oil and filter on my bike 6 or 7 times (in the 25000 miles I've done on it) without ever changing the washer. I've got away with it so far but it's definitely time I did. I'll pop into my local bike shop and pick one up. If they don't keep one in stock, I'll keep an eye on this thread for advice from someone who knows.

#4 ·
I've never heard of that before, but doing a quick google search it looks like it's something to do with teflon?

I've got some high temperature silicone gasket sealer, but a bit wary about using it there and filling up with oil incase it polutes the oil.

It's looking like it's going to be tomorrow morning by the time I can get over there now. I've had a look online and halfords appear to sell a set of copper washers. Seems they're used on cars from what I can tell, but not sure about using one on the bike as the original is aluminium.

I know I should have planned ahead a bit better and bought some from this site's shop but it completely slipped my mind until I'm ready to do it.

If anyone knows the size I need that would be helpful as it'll save me taking this one off first then taking it around car shops trying to find one.

I'm tempted to just refit the one that's there, but it might have already been used more than once so it'd be better to have a spare.

#8 ·
Thanks Annette. Much appreciated :)

I've just placed an order for some from the shop here for future oil changes. There's no immediate hurry now though as I've already changed the oil.

I found some sump washers in halfords for cars but wasn't sure what size I needed at the time I picked up the oil. Did eventually remember to check the fiche and it's 14mm I think I needed - too late though so decided to risk it with the one that was on there.

When I took the bolt out it didn't appear to have a washer on there at all however I could see what looked like the remains of some silicone (by this point all the shops were closed and I'd dumped the oil, so I figured I'd risk it using some high temperature silicone gasket stuff which claims to be oil resistant). Seems to have done the trick and can't see any leaks after running the bike for a few minutes, so it'll hopefully hold.

I'll keep an eye on the oil level and for drips until the next oil change. I've got some fresh oil left over incase I find it leaking and need to put a washer in, but hopefully it'll be OK.

It might have been better to push the bike back into the shed then wait until I could get a washer, but it seems to have held all this time without a washer and no leak, so hopefully it'll be OK until the next oil change.

#9 ·
I bought a few copper washers of different sizes in my local Landrover/farm machinery and yellow jacket type shop, they only cost a few pence each. When I tried them and found the one that fitted best I went back and bought about 50 of the things, probably came to a pound all in.

#10 · (Edited)
They had a set of copper washers at halfords, which I should have bought while I was there in retrospect (If I'd known there wasn't a washer on the bike already or was sure of the size I needed before I went I would have). Not knowing the size put me off though as they were around £7 for a set.

The cost of the individual sump washers at halfords was about £1.50 to £2 each which seemed a bit excessive (though they did have some including the bolt for only slightly more - all car ones though and without sizes marked on them). Halfords seem very pricey for such things. I tried the local car spares place but as soon as I mentioned it was for a bike he said he didn't have anything suitable and to try one of the bike shops in town (but by then it was too late to get there).

I should have spent more time trying to find the size before I went but was in a bit of a rush and only had a small window of time to get over to get the oil. Shouldn't be so impatient really :D

#11 ·
:cool:

Oil plug washers Copper or Ali can if need be used again they can be turned over, unless of course if they are the copper crushable type then it is a must to change them. Silicone is a substance that needs to be used sparingly as the excess [inside] can come away and has been known to block oilways.
BIG D.

#12 ·
Oh...I did put a fair bit on, though I made sure that there wasn't much on the threads themselves (apart from the first couple at the base of the bolt I left the rest of the threads clean). I think the vast majority of it got pushed out to create a seal around the edge of the bolt head when I tightened it, so hopefully it'll be OK.

I hope so anyway. I'm guessing it'd be a bit of a pain to unblock the oilways if they do get clogged.

#13 ·
Old copper washers can be heated to cherry red then dunked in a cup of water if you want to use them again. Don't hold them with your fingers when heating them.:thumbup:

#14 ·
Thanks Yen. I didn't know that. I'll try to remember that for the future. Sounds like it might come in handy sometime :thumbup:

I'll probably stick with the silicone for now (or perhaps when I get the washers I ordered from the shop here if I have time, try draining it again and put a washer in there instead - BIG D mentioning it clogging the oilways up is a bit of a concern now).

I'm sure the copper washer trick will come in handy sometime though, and it's great to pick up little tips that can save the day like that :thumbup:

#15 ·
Thanks Yen. I didn't know that. I'll try to remember that for the future. Sounds like it might come in handy sometime :thumbup:

I'll probably stick with the silicone for now (or perhaps when I get the washers I ordered from the shop here if I have time, try draining it again and put a washer in there instead - BIG D mentioning it clogging the oilways up is a bit of a concern now).

I'm sure the copper washer trick will come in handy sometime though, and it's great to pick up little tips that can save the day like that :thumbup:
If you can do it carefully then lay the bike gently on it's side and you can take the drain plug out, pop a washer in and refit it without dropping the oil. Did it once on my mate's written off bike so he could get his aftermarket magnetic sump plug back before it was taken away by the insureance company.

#17 ·
As already mentioned you can lie the bike down on its right hand side and take out the sump bolt no problem. Suggest having someone to help with the dropping and picking up and lie it down on grass or lots of old blankets.

Also, once the bolt is out make sure that the old washer isn't stuck to the engine casing before you fir the new one, they sometimes do that.

#19 ·
Thanks for the suggestions KTiM (and the reassurance fatowl). I'll bear that in mind.

I thought the bolt might be stuck to the casing (or bolt itself) when I took it out and noticed there wasn't one there, but when I checked it wasn't unfortunately. There just wasn't one there.

It's looking like it might be a day or two before I get to ride it now (time is limited and having some hastle with the sprocket cover now that I'll need to sort out first - already had a couple of tries at that but no further forward - was thinking of posting another thread about it if I can't figure it out soon). So if the washers arrive by then I'll try fitting one before I ride it. It's been a couple of days now and still no oil leaking so the silicone gasket might hold it, but probably best to change it for peace of mind.

#20 ·
:cool:

Sorry to get you concerned with the silicone, but yes Yen-Powel is right in the use of heat or annealing as it is known cherry red and a quick dunk in water for copper and for alloy you rub soap over it and gently heat till the soap turns black and then dunk in water this is how old head gaskets where done in days off old.
BIG D.

#21 ·
No worries mate. I'd rather know about it being a risk now than find it ends up blocking up somewhere inside the engine or pipes/pump that's hard and expensive to get to, so I appreciate you mentioning it. I'll try to resist the temptation to ride it or fire up the engine again until I've replaced it with a proper washer and carefully cleaned off all the silicone.

My feeling is that it'd probably be OK as I didn't put it on the threads right up the bolt, just on the bottom, and there was already silicone there to begin with which has been OK by the looks of things, but sounds like it'd better to be safe than sorry, considering it's only a washer to replace.

I'll try to get someone to give me a hand to lay it down, but if I do end up needing to drain the oil, does anyone know if it'll be OK to put the oil back in again that I've drained out (bearing in mind it's only been in there with the bike running for 5 minutes so far). Or is it definitely a case of needing to put fresh stuff in.

Not the end of the world as I think I have enough left over for another change, but it seems a shame to waste what I've put in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.