Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I have a xt600e year 2000 and I changed the oil filter and oil, here is what I did.

1. Got the bike warm.
2. Took out oil filler cap.
3. Drained frame....left it draining.
4. Drained sump....left it draining.
5. Removed oil filter....left it draining.
6. Left it an hour.
7. Poured oil into filter and fitted it.
8. Sump plug in.
9. Frame plug in.
10. Measured out 2.5 litres of oil and poured it in.
11. Turned it a few times with kill switch off to circulate the oil.
12.Choke on, started it up and let it idle for 4-5 minutes while I checked for any leaks.
13.Checked level and added more oil with a measuring jug until it was at the correct level.

My owners manual and a workshop manual both say the capacity with oil filter replacement is 2.8 litres.

To my surprise I added another 1.3 litres (in .25L increments) so the total was 3.8 litres. Luckily I had bought 4 litres of oil.

But I am concerned that I did some damage to my engine by running it for 4-5 minutes with only 2.5 litres of oil.

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
Hello all,

I have a xt600e year 2000 and I changed the oil filter and oil, here is what I did.

1. Got the bike warm.
2. Took out oil filler cap.
3. Drained frame....left it draining.
4. Drained sump....left it draining.
5. Removed oil filter....left it draining.
6. Left it an hour.
7. Poured oil into filter and fitted it.
8. Sump plug in.
9. Frame plug in.
10. Measured out 2.5 litres of oil and poured it in.
11. Turned it a few times with kill switch off to circulate the oil.
12.Choke on, started it up and let it idle for 4-5 minutes while I checked for any leaks.
13.Checked level and added more oil with a measuring jug until it was at the correct level.

My owners manual and a workshop manual both say the capacity with oil filter replacement is 2.8 litres.

To my surprise I added another 1.3 litres (in .25L increments) so the total was 3.8 litres. Luckily I had bought 4 litres of oil.

But I am concerned that I did some damage to my engine by running it for 4-5 minutes with only 2.5 litres of oil.
Drain all of it out thats way too much, start from scratch put the correct amount in according to your book then take it for a 20min ride come home and check the oil then dry sump motors are a pain in the ass for oil level check

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Taken it for a good ride, let is rest for 5 minutes and checked the frame dipstick, it is correct and between the high and low marks.

I also poured the old oil into a measuring jug just to see how much came out and it is also 3.8 litres, so I put back in the same amount that I drained out.

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
It is quite possible that the book is wrong the 2 & 3 are next to each other. Who proof reads any more?

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
mine is exactly the same.
i wouldnt worry about it, 2.5ltrs isnt low enough to set off the oil pressure light so the pumps happy, it uses the tank in the headstock as a sort of poor mans oil cooler, so with no oil in the tank i wouldnt leave it idling for too long (shouldnt with an air cooled bike anyway). these bikes have a lot of oil in the frame and associated pipework, 3.8ltrs is what mine takes too. ive no idea where they get the 2.5 from, it doesnt even come up to the bottom of the tank let alone touch the bottom of the dipstick.

with a little experience i ignore the book, i know now to put 3ltrs straight into it, run it for two minutes to get rid of any airlocks and then top the tank up to the high level line. the level never changes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lol phil that's what i was thinking, 3.8 litres is exactly how much I put into my car when I annually change the oil and filter.

2.8 to 3.8 is a 35% increase but having spoken to a couple of XT owners last night they say thier bikes take a similar amount.

Like davsato the 2.8 does not even get to the bottom of the dipstick.
Thanks for the info davsato.

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
If thats what it takes it must be right, the oil change proceedure you have gone through is pretty much the same I do for my XR, just make sure you do a good warm up on it i.e a nice run before its final check. My XR book states a 5 min warm up but it always reads low after a 10 min ride around the block then a further 5 min tick over period with bike stood bolt upright, not even on side stand, do I feel I get the correct level:thumbup:

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
Lol phil that's what i was thinking, 3.8 litres is exactly how much I put into my car when I annually change the oil and filter.

2.8 to 3.8 is a 35% increase but having spoken to a couple of XT owners last night they say thier bikes take a similar amount.

Like davsato the 2.8 does not even get to the bottom of the dipstick.
Thanks for the info davsato.

You guys are lucky my car takes 7.5 litres for an oil change:thumbleft::thumbleft:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts