Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question: How regular should engine oil be topped up to reach the middle of the dipstick again. Seems my RD07A needs a top up about once a month. Shes not smoking visibly and runs pretty good.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I guess about the same for me, but I average only about 300 miles a month.

I wouldn't like to say offhand how much I top up, not much though - a couple of tips into the funnel and good to go...

What's your sort of monthly mileage Piet?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh yes, I forgot to mention monthly mileage TopBuzz99 - I do around 600miles/month. I've never measured the volume of oil I add, but its for sure more than a cup ( 250ml). Does that sound normal?,Im a bit worried:(

·
Registered
755 Posts
To be honest, I wouldn't like to put an amount but I'd say perhaps a pint or so, and if your mileage is double mine then probably you'll be using more.

I'm not really troubled about the amount, it's usually at the low end of the dipstick and if the usage gets more then I'll check more often...

I do need a full engine strip and rebuild, hopefully this summer, as my output shaft has stripped splines and has the front sprocket welded on. The AT's done 48k miles (I've only put 2,500 of those on it) and the sprocket and spline are how I inherited it.

I guess, with an older engine you have to see oil the same as petrol - keep an eye on it and keep it topped up :)

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
O.k thanks for your input. I'll just keep an eye on that dipstick then - and good luck with the engine rebuild - welded on sprocket!?? Someone was desperate to keep hi's AT going :thumbup:

·
Registered
755 Posts
I won't be attempting the engine rebuild myself Piet - if I had another reliable bike, and an electric supply to my garage then I'd give it a try but I'll be leaving the rebuild to more expert hands than mine as I don't want to lose the AT for more than a couple of days :)

It looks like quite a high initial expense for the rebuild but considering even with the cost I'll still have spent only the face value of my AT on the whole restoration, and it'll be the only work that I haven't done myself then I'm good with that!

I just posted this pic of my sprocket to Johan as an illustration, so while the link's still on my clipboard I'll post it here again to scare kids and small animals :toothy10:

topbuzz99-albums-garage-work-picture36897t-welded-sprocket.jpg

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
That weld will out last the engine :)
I won't be attempting the engine rebuild myself Piet - if I had another reliable bike, and an electric supply to my garage then I'd give it a try but I'll be leaving the rebuild to more expert hands than mine as I don't want to lose the AT for more than a couple of days :)

It looks like quite a high initial expense for the rebuild but considering even with the cost I'll still have spent only the face value of my AT on the whole restoration, and it'll be the only work that I haven't done myself then I'm good with that!

I just posted this pic of my sprocket to Johan as an illustration, so while the link's still on my clipboard I'll post it here again to scare kids and small animals :toothy10:

View attachment 69770

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
But the sprocket itself won't. Next time the sprocket will need changing, you can swap the motor too... ;-(

·
Registered
755 Posts
And the universe as we know it ;)

The stripped splines were how my mate got the bike, and he's a bloody good welder :)

He got this used countershaft I think off of eBay, but I reckon that given the expense and time of the wrenching just to get to it, buying a new countershaft would be the way to go so I guess I'll have a 'part-worn' shaft free to a good home once I get a rebuild (or, as I'm watching a supposed good condition low mileage AT engine on EBay at the mo then that could work as well!).

·
Registered
755 Posts
But the sprocket itself won't. Next time the sprocket will need changing, you can swap the motor too... ;-(
I've done about 2 and a half k miles on the bike since I inherited it Lee, and as I'm a tad heavy on low revs (top speed isn't my thing, more low end pull ;) ) I'd give it another 5 k...

I've had to fit um, a few bits over the last couple of years to be roadworthy; rear shocker, front wheel, MOSFET Reg/Rec / Ignitech CDI and sundries, so it's been more about running at all as versus running in tip-top condition...

I'm about at the stage where things like that countershaft whilst not perfect, at least worked, but I'd like to get around to pre-empting the need for another weld with either / or a rebuild or a new engine :)

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Going back to the OP... I change my oil and filters at 5,000 mile intervals. I have OCD with oil levels. They have to be on the high mark all the time. I probably top mine up once or twice between oil changes, but it would last between oil changes without topping it up.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Going back to the OP... I change my oil and filters at 5,000 mile intervals. I have OCD with oil levels. They have to be on the high mark all the time. I probably top mine up once or twice between oil changes, but it would last between oil changes without topping it up.
I remember Vince (serious3) posting that after his engine rebuild he was using a lot less oil than before, I guess replacing the seals and everything having tighter tolerances makes a lot of difference Loggy!

I tend be a 'once a week' check the oil and chain guy, as I know I'm using a lot of oil comparatively, but I'm aware of it :)

·
Registered
265 Posts
mine used (if memory serves) on a 5000k plus trip i topped it up once with maybe half a litre, this was after a full engine rebuild, before that it used oil at a greater rate than my old RD200 on premix!!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts